Burning Plastic

NEWIDME

Reaction score
Yesterday a bit after picking the tykes up from preschool, I smelled something burning. Like plastic. I knew it wasn't a smoke cuz I am still not doing that. I looked around and couldn't find what was burning. I asked JJ to help me. He couldn't find it but smelled the burning too. We are both kinda freaked cuz of our severe fire last June. I was about to go into the basement and look but decided to get a neighbor first. So, I got Mary and she ran over and heard the microwave and somehow it turned on and a pyrex plate was burning. It's cracked and bubbled. I will take a pic tonight and post it tomorrow. Anyway, my kitchen smells like burnt bad fish now and I don't eat fish at home!!!

I post this because I feel like I'll never be truely independent. I'll always have to rely to some exent on other's hearing and that's kinda strange to me. What if Mary wasn't home and the microwave exploded in my face?!? Scarey, man. I didn't start the microwave. It's above the stove so the tykes didn't either. I unplugged it and won't use it. BTW, it doesn't light up when in use. I am thinking about getting one of those. I am way to freaked to use the micro I have.......sorry so long.

Last edited:
I think you are being too hard on yourself, because accidents can happen to anyone, regardless of whether the person can hear. Anyway, nothing serious happened, so you can learn from the experience. Maybe you accidentally pressed some buttons when you were doing something in the kitchen? It doesn't hurt to switch off appliances when not in use.

You should install smoke alarms. I don't know whether you can hear a smoke alarm or not, but I think there are smoke alarms for people who cannot hear?

Hey, thanks. The insurance rplaced all the smoke alarms. The put one in every room. :) There wasn't any smoke, though. Maybe I am being too hard on myself. I am just so freaked about it. Now that you mention the hearing the alarm question, I don't know if I can hear them or not w/ my aids out. I will see if I can try that hearing test out tonight. That is a good question.

My hearing when i don't have my aids out is nill when it comes to high pitch sounds...

Last edited:
I think if your hearing friend didn't show up, you would have managed to find the source of the problem. Smelling something burning up in the microwave really does not call for the use of hearing. So in theory a dog trained to hear doorbells and phones wouldn't know to alert you to where a smell came from. I think you are recently divorced and after you get more used to standing on your own feet, you won't be so easily defeated. Things have to get more positive in your life. Coming from a childhood of over protective smothering parents, I decided long ago that complete independence and responsibility for self was a requirement for my self respect and happiness.

Thank, Bott. I was going to bring a pic in but the camera isn't working. Yeh, the neighbor used her common sense and not hearing. You are right about me standing on my own 2 feet. It should all work out. Thx

You are welcome. I have been through rough patches too. I can promise I know it really will get better. Maybe not as quick as you would like.

Wow!

You might want not to use the microwave anymore. I stopped using it for about six years, and I moved it in my basement.

Oh, wait a minute I thought you said YOU moved to your basement

I've only used it once since I made this thread.

Back