Bummed...

DefLord

Reaction score
Well just found out that my CI surgery that was scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed! I was supposed to have surgery tomorrow at 7 a.m. CST. Well apparently the doctor's mother is not doing well so he had to fly home to be with his mother! So, oh well dunno when I am going to get scheduled to get the surgery done. But question here - is the DIGITAL Hearing aid as effective as the CI? (This is only asking those who have used Digital Hearing aids and CI both)

I am not interested in opinons, but actual real life facts.

Awww bummer! Sorry to hear your surgery was postponed.. I know a few people who had the same thing happen to them.. but at least you still will have your surgery eventually.. just at a later time! I had another type of surgery postponed once too.. really frustrating and nerve wracking. You'll get there, though..

I don't know anything about Digital hearing aids, but I do know that the CI is completely different than a HA.. As far as comparing the results between a CI and a digital aid, I have no idea but I guess it all depended on what type/degree of hearing loss one has. I know people who absolutely love their digital aids, and others who can't stand them.

My guess is that if one qualifies for the CI, it basically means that person's hearing loss is too profound to continue benefitting from hearing aids, even digital ones. A person who could still benefit from an aid (whether analog or digital) probably would not qualify as a CI candidate.

Oh, another thing.. one similarity between CI's and digital aids that I can think of, is that both are computer programmable for sound adjustment but I think that's the only similar part... of course I could be putting my foot in my mouth here though, and get flamed by digital wearers out there (eek!)

Ditto with superfroggy...

They are distinctly different beasts. As superfroggy said, if you are about to get a CI, then a digital HA isn't something to be considered.

Sounds like you are having second thoughts...

Actually I thought that they were now doing CIs for people who have a lot of residual hearing?It's not just worst case scenerios any more.
DefLord, do you still have speech perception? I believe they are implanting people to improve their speech perception, even if they have decent speech perception with aids (60% aided is the limit if I recall from past threads)
I'm no audi, but if you still have halfway decent speech perception......EXPERIMENT. Ask your audi about things like body worn aids, high frequncy transponders, etc. Digi aids might also make a difference.
I mean the good thing about hearing aids is that you have a 30 trial period....If you're having second thoughts about implantation, EXPERIMENT!

No offense but this is the first time I've heard of a candidate going to surgery without having all pertinent information!

All the best to you on your journey.

Haha no - actually i have residual hearing loss.. And I have had a digital hearing aid before - right now using analog. And Im fixing to interview for a few new jobs, and need something more reliable right now. (my analog hearing aid right now is a piece of crap) I really do think the CI will be very effective - and to answer dyke's question I can speak like a normal hearing person, you wouldn't even know I was deaf.

Well if you do have residual hearing loss, then maybe it would be worth it to experiment with different aids. Even body worn (pocket) aids....I really do think there might be a significent percentage of losses where size does equate with power. Like people can hear with the BTE aids, but probaly not as well as with the body worn aids. And, definitly try digital or top of the line analog......What's your aid brand anyway? Try Oticons or Phonaks (which RAWK!)

Oh, and it's good, that you're being kinda cynical/skeptical about wanting the CI.....Yes, I know there are people who love their CI, but some of the people almost seem to be selling it.....and trust me, I'd be telling you the EXACT SAME thing if you said you were looking into digitals vs. analogs......Just gotta use your brain and common sense here! CI isn't for everyone, just the way that top of the line digitals aren't for everyone!

Aye - I just need something better than what I am using analog - so I can perform my everyday function. With CI it seems like it can do everything a person would want. I have heard raves from people from DEAF families who says it is GREAT. Then again, I am looking for something temporary. Because if I do a job change I will nto be able to take off and have the surgery done as soon as possible. So, this plays a role here. CI I have heard great things and I agree you know hearing aids and CI are not for everyone. :(

And at least you can try an aid in your other ear....maybe get your worse ear implanted so, you can get benifit from a more traditional aid. Too bad you couldn't do a walk in and try an aid at an audi's office.

deafdyke said:
I mean the good thing about hearing aids is that you have a 30 trial period....If you're having second thoughts about implantation, EXPERIMENT!
Are you sure about this? I know that nearly all states, in various forms and shapes, have passed laws governing trial period for new hearing aid purchases. But, in real life practice, does this happen? Are there actual stories out there people being dissatisfied with their HA's and have successfully returned them for a full refund?

I tried to return my hearing aid but they refused.. I have a hearing aid on my left ear but getting the CI on my right ear. So I was goign to get a digital hearing aid for my left ear. (It is my better ear). When I found out my CI was goin to be delayed I called the audiologist asking them for the paper on which hearing aid I should get, they said you need ot make an appt and have an audiology exam. I said what for? I had one done 4 months ago and you GAVE me recommendations and now we have to go through it again??

Sheesh!

I know......Like HELLO! I been dhh since I was a little kid! I'm trying to buy somethign that will keep you in business! Are you with a general audi or with an audi who is experianced with people with pediatric losses?
Oh, and I think part of the reason they may be pushing the CI is b/c people with progressive losses tend to really do well with them. Also, if your hearing gets worse, then you won't have wasted money on a hearing aid!

Well the CI went without any complications yesterday.. Surgery took about 3 hours. Went in at noon finished by 3 according to my wife. Woke up about 430 after the surgery.. Pain ?>?? No not realy any pain but more of a discomfort. Feels a bit stingy. Had to sleep upright thru the night and slept most of the day today. Dr. Said it went well and was happy with it. So now gotta wait 2-3 weeks before I get my device. Today it was okay - no severe pain or anything.. but im eating and drinking as normal. So, we'll see now - the worst part in my eyes is over.. The surgery. Next step is the device.

Will keep you guys posted!

DefLord,

I'm glad your surgery went well. :) If you dont' mind my asking, what CI brand did you choose?

All the best to you on your CI journey! :)

DefLord said:
Well the CI went without any complications yesterday.. Surgery took about 3 hours. Went in at noon finished by 3 according to my wife. Woke up about 430 after the surgery.. Pain ?>?? No not realy any pain but more of a discomfort. Feels a bit stingy. Had to sleep upright thru the night and slept most of the day today. Dr. Said it went well and was happy with it. So now gotta wait 2-3 weeks before I get my device. Today it was okay - no severe pain or anything.. but im eating and drinking as normal. So, we'll see now - the worst part in my eyes is over.. The surgery. Next step is the device.

Will keep you guys posted!

Glad to hear you came through okay. Be there and done that. Just take it easy moving around. I remember that I had to not move my head too fast or things would be a little shaky with my balance but otherwise no problems.

Be patience waiting for the hookup. I was fine the first two weeks but I went crazy not hearing the last five days. The hookup was a relief.... :D

Back