Building friendships

bankstre93

Reaction score
About me:

I was diagnosed with Mastoiditis at the age of 2yr. and have had declining hearing ever since. At a very young age my Audiologist predicted that I would be 100% deaf before my 18 birthday. I am currently 21 and still have most of my hearing. I have had H. A. since the 2nd grade although I despise wearing them.
Over the years I have been able to feel my hearing getting worse and believe it is time to start buckling down to learn ASL. I know a few basic signs and finger spelling but my accuracy and speed in both signing and reading signs are very poor.

My mother used to take ASL classes at our local community college and she would take me to Deaf Community Night which was a dinner with her whole class where verbal communication was not allowed, only ASL. I loved being a part of that group and unfortunately had to stop after a series of unfortunate events and those meetings were terminated. I would love to be able to get involved with the deaf community where I live now but have no clue where to start. Perhaps this site will help.

I suppose that about covers everything as far as my experience with the deaf community and being HOH myself...if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Hello, I am willing to practice ASL with you. I am learning it with some deaf friends I have made.

About me:

I was diagnosed with Mastoiditis at the age of 2yr. and have had declining hearing ever since. At a very young age my Audiologist predicted that I would be 100% deaf before my 18 birthday. I am currently 21 and still have most of my hearing. I have had H. A. since the 2nd grade although I despise wearing them.
Over the years I have been able to feel my hearing getting worse and believe it is time to start buckling down to learn ASL. I know a few basic signs and finger spelling but my accuracy and speed in both signing and reading signs are very poor.

My mother used to take ASL classes at our local community college and she would take me to Deaf Community Night which was a dinner with her whole class where verbal communication was not allowed, only ASL. I loved being a part of that group and unfortunately had to stop after a series of unfortunate events and those meetings were terminated. I would love to be able to get involved with the deaf community where I live now but have no clue where to start. Perhaps this site will help.

I suppose that about covers everything as far as my experience with the deaf community and being HOH myself...if you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Was Lemony Snicket involved??

Have you looked into hearing aids? Keep all your options open.

It's not the end of the world. Life doesn't stop at hearing loss.

4 years is a long time. Take a look into a Naida UP.

EDIT: Also: Can you describe why you don't like the aids?

4 years is a long time. Take a look into a Naida UP.

EDIT: Also: Can you describe why you don't like the aids?

H.A. in my experience make everything louder. My main problem comes from deciphering between my conversation and surrounding noise (cars, TV, other people talking) but with hearing aids they amplify everything and just make it worse for me. Not to mention they make my ears sweaty...

H.A. in my experience make everything louder. My main problem comes from deciphering between my conversation and surrounding noise (cars, TV, other people talking) but with hearing aids they amplify everything and just make it worse for me. Not to mention they make my ears sweaty...

A lot of the digital HAs, including the Naida UPs have programs that will soften the surrounding loud noises. Though it will also soften speech some too, but it's still easier to hear with out the loud noises. My Naida's do it automatically 99% of the time and I don't even notice until I go to talk to somebody.

A lot of the digital HAs, including the Naida UPs have programs that will soften the surrounding loud noises. Though it will also soften speech some too, but it's still easier to hear with out the loud noises. My Naida's do it automatically 99% of the time and I don't even notice until I go to talk to somebody.

The ones I have now don't have an on/off switch or a volume control, I have to open the battery door to shut them off and the volume control is automatic. They're the best ones I've had (only ever had BTE) but the part that goes inside my ear is itchy.

The ones I have now don't have an on/off switch or a volume control, I have to open the battery door to shut them off and the volume control is automatic. They're the best ones I've had (only ever had BTE) but the part that goes inside my ear is itchy.

Sounds like you have a mold issue. That should certainly be fixable.

The Naida UP I have is the best aid I have ever owned. With my loss, just a few years ago aids were pretty much maxed out. Today, they are more powerful.

You should try everything, sign, better equipment, social groups, etc. Do whatever you have to do to communicate better.

You'll be OK.

Sounds like you have a mold issue. That should certainly be fixable.

The Naida UP I have is the best aid I have ever owned. With my loss, just a few years ago aids were pretty much maxed out. Today, they are more powerful.

You should try everything, sign, better equipment, social groups, etc. Do whatever you have to do to communicate better.

You'll be OK.

The h.a. I have now don't have molds. I'll have to take a picture and post it so you can see.

I have one of those fittings for my CROS mike. I will say it could itch. The ones in the picture look clean. I imagine you've been replacing them.

You should look into a model with a full mold. A good fitting mold shouldn't cause you any problems.

And, don't be afraid to protest to the audiologist. They are there to help you with aid issues.

Cover every base, hearing and non.

I have one of those fittings for my CROS mike. I will say it could itch. The ones in the picture look clean. I imagine you've been replacing them.

You should look into a model with a full mold. A good fitting mold shouldn't cause you any problems.

And, don't be afraid to protest to the audiologist. They are there to help you with aid issues.

Cover every base, hearing and non.

I used to have a full mold but those would make my ears sweat and give me a deep itch that I couldn't relieve. These newer ones only itch where that thin piece makes contact. I suppose it's the lesser of two evils but I still prefer not wearing any.

You could be allergic to the material. Ask you audi if you can get a non-allergy material.

Back