BTE controller vs bodyworn controller

AKozlovsky

Reaction score
Hi, I'm only curious that which is difference between BTE and bodyworn controller from the perspective of listening to sound? I think, that bodyworn consumes a lot of an energy and causes bigger ballast than at BTE, isn't it truth? Why most of people have BTE controller, when bodyworn controller allows powerful listening of sounds. Which of type controller you most often use? Thanks for your reply.

I have a BTE processor and it allows the power needed. I think you are mistaken thinking that a body worn processor provides more power. Technology today makes the BTE as powerful as required.

The convenience of not having wires running to a body processor is important to many people too. And yes, body processors tend to weigh more.

Hope this helps!

For HA's or CI's? I have BTE and a "body worn" Neptune. I use my BTE every day and the Neptune when I am doing anything where the processor might get wet. It's nice not having something on your ear, but the sound quality just isn't the same as it is with the Naida I wear BTE--it's still very good, but the Naida is just better.

The Neptune uses a AAA battery and when I wore that exclusively, I got a couple days out of one charge.

If you are talking about cochlear implants, the benefits of a body worn controller are longer battery life and...that is it.
I can only speak about advanced bionics because that is what I have but the BTE configuration allows for natural microphone placement (the t-mic is placed near the enter acne of the ear canal to capture the natural properties of the ear) there are also two other microphones on the BTE processor (for the Naida CI) that are in around the same place as microphones on BTE hearing aids. The microphone on the headpiece is in a weird place.
It works when you are using the waterproof configuration but doesn't take advantage of the evolution of the human ear (which has evolved to funnel sound into the ear canal and provide directionality).

So, for listening to sound, there is a huge difference. A bodyworn controller with a headpiece microphone (like advanced bionics) or a body worn/clipped to the shoulder for the other brands will not provide the same sound as a BTE processor.

A bodyworn processor provides better battery life but significantly poorer listening.

Back