Brown Recluse Spider

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
I found one is interesting about brown recluse spiders could spread to northeastern states and more midwestern states due to change in climate.

Brown recluse spider: Range could expand in N. America with changing climate

PLoS ONE: Tracking a Medically Important Spider: Climate Change, Ecological Niche Modeling, and the Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa)

fetchObject.action

fetchObject.action

fetchObject.action

fetchObject.action

You can see larger map if you prefer - go 2nd link and click on Figure 2.

It looks not good at all and they are dangerous spider so you can have very ugly wound after bite, even there are some people have their limb amputated after wound became too intense and beyond to antibiotic treatment.

There are some houses that infested with brown recluse spiders and there are over thousands of them in around house, that's very scary, especially older houses (older than 1980's), even pest control won't help with house that already infested. When you plan to buy house so you should check their inspection and pest control to make sure there are no infestation with brown recluse spiders.

For me, the brown recluse spiders are very scary but I'm glad that our house doesn't have those, however it can be very confused if you see different brown spiders that are not brown recluse spiders. It is easy for me to tell if it is brown recluse spider or not.

I've never seen one...but have heard of this....and what you should do if ur area has them is to always make sure they are not in your shoes...hit the shoes together, shake them before putting them on...same as for ur clothes if they are in a dark closet...these spiders like the dark places...

I would have an exterminator come to my house also, if my area was infested with them. These Spiders are Deadly!....

I've never seen one...but have heard of this....and what you should do if ur area has them is to always make sure they are not in your shoes...hit the shoes together, shake them before putting them on...same as for ur clothes if they are in a dark closet...these spiders like the dark places...

I would have an exterminator come to my house also, if my area was infested with them. These Spiders are Deadly!....

Yup, that's correct. Some people light up the closet with CFL or LED all time with small affect on electricity.

I noticed that Florida isn't part of expansion and they are restricted to panhandle area so I found out that brown recluse spiders have difficult to colonize in Florida and they will easily dead, however in rare case, people could find it when they ship the furniture from Missouri to Florida.

It isn't bad idea to rent the house or apartment rather than buy one and if you find to be infested with brown recluse spiders so make easier to leave the property.

Just stay away from California!

Tell government to set the eradication of brown recluse spider program and I don't know if it will be difficult but... we need develop new chemical that ability to kill all of them with fume so left house as no longer to be infested, also you need make difficult for them to colonize too.

The map said it is possible to expand to California but not all of region.

My mother in law is being treated for this spider's bite right now and has had three courses of antibiotics.

They didn't cure it yet so sent her to the University town close to us for more advanced treatment. I don't know what it is though.

She had one several years ago, but healed more easily with antibiotics at that time.

My mother in law is being treated for this spider's bite right now and has had three courses of antibiotics.

They didn't cure it yet so sent her to the University town close to us for more advanced treatment. I don't know what it is though.

She had one several years ago, but healed more easily with antibiotics at that time.

Is it happened in Iowa?

Oh, and I remember that she learned the bites are painless, so people don't usually know they were bitten until the ulcer or reaction show up.

Oh, and I remember that she learned the bites are painless, so people don't usually know they were bitten until the ulcer or reaction show up.

Not sure that the bites are painless. I've posted about friends that were bitten by these. My friend's wife was bitten in bed and knew it right away. The others guy was a rancher. He got bit all the time by different bugs so he probably didn't take it seriously if he did feel it. He got bit by a BR twice in the same exact spot. His wound was extremely nasty.

Not sure that the bites are painless. I've posted about friends that were bitten by these. My friend's wife was bitten in bed and knew it right away. The others guy was a rancher. He got bit all the time by different bugs so he probably didn't take it seriously if he did feel it. He got bit by a BR twice in the same exact spot. His wound was extremely nasty.

any pictures? :naughty:

The first time, my mother in law had this very nasty looking ulcer on her leg, but this time it's on her hand and it doesn't look as bad, but it isn't healing.

She didn't feel the bites.

I meant pictures of TXGolfer's friend bite wound.

No but image a hand twice the size of normal plus scaley and purple then add a volcano on the palm pad with an oozing sore.... There ya go

looks like florida has been spared.. for now.

First, welcome back to AD.

Yup, that's true but you will likely to find it if you are in Pensacola.

I heard about Missouri has a lot of brown recluse spiders and they are found in 70% of houses.

I wonder if Brown recluse venom is poisonous enough to kill rats or mice. It could be effective natural tool to fight the vermin.

I wonder if Brown recluse venom is poisonous enough to kill rats or mice. It could be effective natural tool to fight the vermin.

Well, it won't matters because brown recluse spiders are dangerous spider and they are still very painful to humans, especially children. I don't want children to get bite and get a ugly wound that may require plastic surgery or amputation.

I prefer to let tarantula to job to kill the vermin and tarantula bites are much harmless than brown recluse spider.

Brown recluse spider is very small, about size of quarter and they rather to eat insects.

Back