Brought up in a hearing world...

TazManc

Reaction score
Hi apperently my story is a strange one! My names Taz and im from manchester in the uk!

I have been Severely HoH since birth, went to a primary school with a deaf unit but it was mainly Hearing. Was made to go to a mainstream secondary school due to relgious reasons (i was the only deaf person in a school of over 2 thousand kids) with social worker. Have had speech therapy for many years. As a result i have developed excellent lip reading skills and use it as my only form of communication. (school was the worst expierance of my life)

Due to changes in my life I have come to realise that i barely know any other deafies in a social setting and have found it difficult to become integrated in deaf culture or social backgrounds.

I am just about to take up BSL to further my communication skills but also to meet other deaf or HoH people. Now the strange thing is the tutors in the BSL course are confused as to whyIve never learned BSL as a child due to the severity of my disability and have said that I wouldnt really meet any others? but normal hearing people looking for a new skill.

Any advice on approaching an area of my life that i have always embraced on my own in a working class and worked around... rather then directly if that makes any sense. Living in a sole hearing world has been fine but i feel like im missing out.

That is unless there is no deaf people in manchester other then myself! :)

Sorry for the long story I do tend to ramble on alot and i hope it makes sense. Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read it.

Welcome, Tazmanc! Hope that you enjoy your time here. AD is a supportive community. :welcome:

There is a HUGE deaf community in Manchester. You should attend the deaf event every 2 months on the last saturday of the month.
I have been deaf since after birth, I attended a deaf primary school then went onto a secondary school with a HIU. My main communication method is lipreading and speaking but if I am with a deaf person, I sign even if they don't. LOL

:)

There is a HUGE deaf community in Manchester. You should attend the deaf event every 2 months on the last saturday of the month.
I have been deaf since after birth, I attended a deaf primary school then went onto a secondary school with a HIU. My main communication method is lipreading and speaking but if I am with a deaf person, I sign even if they don't. LOL

Wow i should definately check that out! Thanks for the info lissa :) could use a specific though event though unless im missing something obvious which im usually prone to........

Do you have facebook? Since the Mancunian Gang event is on there.

Back