Britney Spears gets hospital workers fired

These hospital workers can easily face jail time and doctor's can lose their rights to practice at that hospital as well as the potential to lose their licenses to practice altogether. HIPAA takes this very seriously as it should be. As for Britney I would be looking into using a different hospital and if possible be listed under pseudonym to prevent this from happening again. Only her closest doctors and therapists would know she is a patient.

That's scary for any celebrity. It doesnt matter if they go of the deep end and end up hospitalized..they are entitled to the same privacy/confiditality rights as anyone else.

Hope those workers get fired and fined.

These hospital workers can easily face jail time and doctor's can lose their rights to practice at that hospital as well as the potential to lose their licenses to practice altogether. HIPAA takes this very seriously as it should be. As for Britney I would be looking into using a different hospital and if possible be listed under pseudonym to prevent this from happening again. Only her closest doctors and therapists would know she is a patient.
How can they face jail time? Did they break the law?

All they did was violate hospital privacy rules.

I'm sure we would have figured out what was wrong with Britney Spears with or without those staff members snooping through her records. :roll:

Well those nurses knows better. Their curiosity cost them their jobs. Doesn't matter if a famous person or a regular Joe comes in. Privacy laws is for everyone. When I worked at the hospital if we were on a computer that we were not unauthorized to be on, we get discipline. I remember a CNA was on the Dr's computer and she got busted big time because the computers are key logged. She was snooping on someone she knew that was in the hospital. She got fired the next day when she came in.

Ahh.. As I thought so.

It seems she is being fucked up so mcuh than before. =/

How can they face jail time? Did they break the law?

All they did was violate hospital privacy rules.

HIPPA is federal law.

42 USC 1320d-6 (HIPAA Sec. 1177) contains the criminal penalties for violating the HIPAA privacy standards. It states:

"a. Offense.—

A person who knowingly and in violation of this part—

1. uses or causes to be used a unique health identifier;
2. obtains individually identifiable health information relating to an individual; or
3. discloses individually identifiable health information to another person,

shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

b. Penalties.—

A person described in subsection (a) shall—

1. be fined not more than $50,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both;
2. if the offense is committed under false pretenses, be fined not more than $100,000, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both; and
3. if the offense is committed with intent to sell, transfer, or use individually identifiable health information for commercial advantage, personal gain, or malicious harm, be fined not more than $250,000, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both."

Back