British Airways apologizes for turning away girl with Down syndrome

ComputerLover

Reaction score
British Airways apologizes for turning away girl with Down syndrome

By Joy Jernigan, senior travel editor

British Airways has apologized for refusing to issue a plane ticket to a girl who has Down syndrome.

Alice Saunders, 12, had planned to fly from London's Gatwick Airport to Glasgow, Scotland, to visit her aunt, the Daily Mail reports. Her mother, Heather Saunders, 49, called the airline to book a ticket and told the agent that her daughter has Down syndrome but is very independent and that she wanted her to travel as an unaccompanied minor.

Sauders said she was told by the customer service agent that "we don't take children with Down syndrome." When Saunders asked why, the agent responded: "Because we've had problems in the past."

Alice lives with her parents and three siblings in Littlehampton, West Sussex, and attends a mainstream school, reads at grade level and regularly travels with her church group.

Her mother told the newspaper that "I was very cross after speaking with British Airways.

"This is 2011. Most of the world has moved on in terms of their treatment of people with learning disabilities. People with Down syndrome go to mainstream school, college, they live independently, they hold down jobs, but, it would seem, cannot travel independently with British Airways."

A British Airways spokesperson on Thursday told msnbc.com that "we apologize unreservedly for the upset caused to Mrs. Saunders and her daughter. Our customer service agent made a mistake and we will ensure the matter is addressed."

It is not British Airways policy to deny travel to unaccompanied minors with Down syndrome, said an airline spokesperson. British Airways has announced a companywide disability awareness program and plans additional training for all customer service agents.

"We will be happy to accept Mrs. Saunders' daughter as an unaccompanied minor," the airline said in a statement. "We have offered Mrs. Saunders two return flight tickets in recognition of the distress caused."

Overhead Bin - British Airways apologizes for turning away girl with Down syndrome

I wouldn't send my daughter unaccompanied on a flight at that age.

Airlines is full of nitwits.

They terrorized a mentally challenged young man who has a mental capacity of a 2 year old and threw away his toy hammer, calling it a weapon, a toy he carried around for the majority of his life.

Now this....

What's next? Deaf people? Blind people? They've already threw out an overweight person from the airplane by the pilot himself while ignoring the MORE overweight woman a few seats behind him.....

Kevin Smith Too Fat to Fly - ABC News

Yiz

I wouldn't send my daughter unaccompanied on a flight at that age.

I absolutely agree with you; especially since this child has developmental delays on top of only being 12. There's no way in this world I would even consider letting my child board a plane by themselves; I don't care how mature or independant they may be.

Airlines is full of nitwits.

They terrorized a mentally challenged young man who has a mental capacity of a 2 year old and threw away his toy hammer, calling it a weapon, a toy he carried around for the majority of his life.

Now this....

What's next? Deaf people? Blind people? They've already threw out an overweight person from the airplane by the pilot himself while ignoring the MORE overweight woman a few seats behind him.....

Kevin Smith Too Fat to Fly - ABC News

Yiz

So, you're saying that British Airlines was in the wrong? :shock:

Back