Bringing home and adopting a coyote

This is so insane! And most states only allow people that are license to have wild animals have one and not as a pet . I will tell you how this will turn out, the coyote will end up killing a pet or biting a child and people will be freaking out and demanding the state to kill all coyote. This is a wild animal not a pet and will always think like wild animal . And this very unfair for the coyote to be treated as a 'dog'.

That's not a domesticated animal, it could very well turn on those who don't know what they're doing. This is why only licensed professionals handle them.

Weren't dogs wild before they became domesticated? Yes, that family took a huge risk so hopefully nothing will happen.

I would do that just so I can name the wolf "Cuddles" and introduce my friends :lol:

I knew a woman that had a coyote /dog mix and when the woman moved to a new house her coyote /dog kept going back to their old house . The coyote part had a hard with the move as it being moved away from where it was hunting for food. This was in Northern California and people let their dogs run lose all day. The coyote /dog went back to it old home as was brought back to the ne house. I felt bad for the poor animal as the woman was getting abusive to it. I tried to explain to the fool she had a dog that was part wild and it was doing nothing wrong that it was behaving like a
'coyote'.

Yeah. I don't understand why people think wild animals can be domesticated. They can be tamed via being raised from birth but they aren't domesticated. Even domesticated animals can turn and bite or kick you causing massive injury.

Yeah. I don't understand why people think wild animals can be domesticated. They can be tamed via being raised from birth but they aren't domesticated. Even domesticated animals can turn and bite or kick you causing massive injury.

I heard of a woman that had one of her breast bitten off by a horse. My ex husband saw it happen , he tried to warn the woman to not to go near the horse but she would not listen.
Yeah look what happen at Sea World a woman was killed by a killer whale. A very trained animal can turn on a person in a slit second with no warning.

I wouldn't bring home Coyote... nor even worse... hyenas. They're dangerous animals and should not be used as a house pets. Zoo is a better home for them and better care of.

I didn't think it was legal except for licensed rescue organizations.

Domestication actually is an evolutionary process that does not take place in the lifetime of one animal or of group of animals. Coyotes can be socialized to people but are un-predictable as pets since they are inherently wild animals.

I saw a tv program where researchers took wolf pups and dog pups at the same, very young age and each group - wolf pups as one and dog pups as the other into home situations with people. It was arranged exactly the same, in terms of living arrangement, exposure to environment and various other things, way of handling etc. The wolf pups at a young age showed much more competitive and food protecting behaviors, and as they became more co-ordinated, were climbing walls and furniture and easily aroused, hard to re-direct, extremely "hyper" and hypervigilant and by 6 months were un-controllable in a human home. They were just acting like wolves.

Researchers also had a test where they brought a wolf pup and a dog pup, one at a time, into a room where I think there was hidden food under a dish or a cone, or something like that. There was a vast difference between how the wolf puppies responded and how the dog pups did. The wolf babies were not engaged in the activity in the same way, did not seem to learn from the pointing that the humans did, to help the puppies find the food. Dogs do understand and respond to human pointing.

here' a link to more about differences in general: Interesting Distinction Between Wolf and Dog Pups

Domestication actually is an evolutionary process that does not take place in the lifetime of one animal or of group of animals. Coyotes can be socialized to people but are un-predictable as pets since they are inherently wild animals.

I saw a tv program where researchers took wolf pups and dog pups at the same, very young age and each group - wolf pups as one and dog pups as the other into home situations with people. It was arranged exactly the same, in terms of living arrangement, exposure to environment and various other things, way of handling etc. The wolf pups at a young age showed much more competitive and food protecting behaviors, and as they became more co-ordinated, were climbing walls and furniture and easily aroused, hard to re-direct, extremely "hyper" and hypervigilant and by 6 months were un-controllable in a human home. They were just acting like wolves.

Researchers also had a test where they brought a wolf pup and a dog pup, one at a time, into a room where I think there was hidden food under a dish or a cone, or something like that. There was a vast difference between how the wolf puppies responded and how the dog pups did. The wolf babies were not engaged in the activity in the same way, did not seem to learn from the pointing that the humans did, to help the puppies find the food. Dogs do understand and respond to human pointing.

here' a link to more about differences in general: Interesting Distinction Between Wolf and Dog Pups

that is what I was trying to tell to the woman that had a coyote dog mix. The woman had some stick on the ground and was using them to make something and her coyote/dog kept stepping on the sticks and the woman was trying to tell the animal to lay down and she was getting mad at the poor animal . I told her he is a acting like a coyote and doing nothing wrong. You can't bred a wild coyote with dog and expect it to act like
a 'dog' . The dog was bred with a wild coyote and the woman thought it would 'be cool' to have it. She was mistreating the poor animal because it was a 'bad' dog . I agree with
100%

and you made a :gpost:

:ty: WDYS

:( your story about the woman and coyote-mix

I felt bad for the poor coyote mix it was a sweet animal , smart as hell , and smarter than the woman. I moved back to the city and was not able to do more for it.
I tried my best to educate the owner but she was not very bright when it came to owning a wild animal for a pet. People are breeding wild cats and with house cats and the poor animals end up living in a cage because they are too dangerous to have a 'kitty cat' . I wish there was a law against breeding animals wild with dogs and cats.

yes, I read about the, breeding wild cats with domestics. I think the situation is somewhat different in that the kittens from those litters are extremely expensive, since it is a newer practice and there seems unfortunately, a more established network of dog-to-wolf or coyote "breeders" or "Accidents" that happen there...so the hybrid kittens are more expensive and so much fewer people get them. Domestic cats are also much closer in terms of behavior, to most of their wild cousins, because they haven't been domesticated for as long as dogs have. The behavioral differences between cats and cat hybrids aren't as big or contrasting as between wild canine/dog crosses.

I still don't agree with making wildlife into pets.

I didn't think it was legal except for licensed rescue organizations.

It's like that in my state. Whenever I tried to help a wild animal I was told to call a guy who was a teacher and the only person that that was licensed to handle wild animals beside the ACO . We do have 'Wolf Hollow' and they have wolves and try to educate the public about the risk of breeding wolves with dogs. They said a wolf has natural fear of man and dogs do not and if a cross bred become fearful there a greater risk of it attacking a person. This is what happen to my b/f that was attacked for no reason by wolf/dog.

Back