Breaking the Code

Oh yeah, I remmy that cued speech at my school of PS 29 in NYC. They said improved their speech.

M-:afro:

Yeah, CS has been used off and on for years. It's actually a method developed by the oralists who finally conceeded that even with residual hearing and amplification, manual cues were necessary for understanding.

I'm still learning and have a lot to learn. Would anyone mind explaining cued speach? Is it similar to lip reading or CC? From what some have posted it appears to be for Deaf children in mainstream schools or who are going to go into it. I am way off?? Thanks everyone for helping educate the hearing. =)

It's a system of 8 handshapes and four 'placements' (places to put those shapes) around the face that aims to take the ambiguity out of lip reading. Most of the people I've met who cue were mainstreamed, yeah, but many of them also sign (just not necessarily in school).

Cued Speech isn't a replacement for ASL. It's a tool allowing the deaf access to the language of English. From what I read, it's a very effective tool.

I never said cued speech should replace ASL. I said it should be used with it meaning it just be another method to use to teach english. ASL does not teach english therefore something is needed to teach it and CS seems to work well for some people.

Cued Speech isn't a replacement for ASL. It's a tool allowing the deaf access to the language of English. From what I read, it's a very effective tool.

True. ASL is a language, and CS is a phonetic tool used to teach oral English skills and facillitate speech reading.

True. ASL is a language, and CS is a phonetic tool used to teach oral English skills and facillitate speech reading.
proper definition is this:
Cued Speech is a visual communication system that uses eight handshapes in four different placements near the face in combination with the mouth movements of speech to make the sounds of spoken language look different from each other.
CUEDSPEECH.org > Cued Speech > Definition

Like I said, phonetic tool.

Cued English/Cued Speech is based on phonemes, not phonetics. A phonemes is: the smallest sound unit which, in terms of the phonetic sequences of sound, controls meaning.

Dr. Cornett created Cued Speech because he was deeply concerned about the literacy skills of deaf children. It is all about literacy, always has been always will be.

ps: good links Boult!

corbett did cue briefly as example in the video. I will have to watch it again.. but let me know if you caught it this time.

and I can say that I wish I had immersed into cued speech long time ago oh well.

He did, yeah, but since the video is largely a sales pitch for cueing, and they're trying to demonstrate that this is useful in the real world (i.e., beyond just a demo), cueing everything would've spoken volumes. (This is not a knock on cueing, BTW - I've seen it done fluently and naturally; I just think that the video should've shown that more.)

once more.......

It's actually a method developed by the oralists who finally conceeded that even with residual hearing and amplification, manual cues were necessary for understanding.

jillio,

This statement that you make is completely and utterly false.

Yeah, CS has been used off and on for years. It's actually a method developed by the oralists who finally conceeded that even with residual hearing and amplification, manual cues were necessary for understanding.
**smh**
bold and underlined is misleading statement. It was not developed by the oralists! It was invented by Gallaudet Professor to improve literacy not oral speech.
Dr. Cornett
Dr. R. Orin Cornett, inventor of Cued Speech, was born in Driftwood, Oklahoma on November 14, 1913. In 1965-66, while vice-president of long-range planning and development for Gallaudet College, he developed Cued Speech with the express purpose of providing a way for children who are deaf or hard of hearing to become good readers.
CUEDSPEECH.org > Cued Speech > History He developed it for purpose of improving literacy. He did not develop it for Oralists to use it but actually for ASL users!!! *GASP*

Read more about Cornett: http://www.cuedspeech.org/sub/cued/dr_cornett_passing.

loml you beat me to punch.. I took my time shaping my post eh..

Oh God, I hate it. Sorry for my against this CUED program but I thank god I did not join that time.

I grew up my cherish language of ASL.

ASL is real language of Deaf world.

oh well. I feel bad for some kids have to learn diffcult speech more than ASL itself.

I can't believe it..

my heart already been broke because when I see video of speech make me mad. I can't do nothing with their parent and that program.

GoldenLeaf74

Cued Speech is more about visably expressing sound. You can SEE what the sound "looks" like.

Oh God, I hate it. Sorry for my against this CUED program but I thank god I did not join that time.

I grew up my cherish language of ASL.

ASL is real language of Deaf world.

oh well. I feel bad for some kids have to learn diffcult speech more than ASL itself.

I can't believe it..

my heart already been broke because when I see video of speech make me mad. I can't do nothing with their parent and that program.

GoldenLeaf74
cued speech is not about learning how to use speech correctly.. NEVER! you misunderstood what Cued Speech is! the word "speech" in "cued speech" does not means learning to use speech. It should have been named "cued english" instead.

again cued speech is used to do this: (from CUEDSPEECH.org > Cued Speech > Cued Speech Index )
Cued Speech was created originally to enable parents of children who are deaf or hard of hearing to easily make their spoken language clearly visible, so that their children could internalize the appropriate phonemic language base for literacy through exposure.

Speech is about learning how to sound to form words and letters.

so both are entirely different.

so you saying "oh god, I hate it" is silly thing to say.

cued speech is not about learning how to use speech correctly.. NEVER! you misunderstood what Cued Speech is! the word "speech" in "cued speech" does not means learning to use speech. It should have been named "cued english" instead.

again cued speech is used to do this: (from CUEDSPEECH.org > Cued Speech > Cued Speech Index )
Cued Speech was created originally to enable parents of children who are deaf or hard of hearing to easily make their spoken language clearly visible, so that their children could internalize the appropriate phonemic language base for literacy through exposure.

oh, i didn't know that. but in my view I can see what they doing on kids. NO SIGN AT ALL.

what is going on, maybe your opinion is different than mine.

or you can prove me wrong. I never see that before. It's make me creepy to think It must to teach speech or something like that.

Yep. Once agian, you have proven my point. Why do we need to make phonic construction of words visable--because we are teaching an aural/auditory based language. Phonics are only useful auditorily. Handshapes in CS make those phonemes which are not easily speechread visable through the handshape. Why? For increased efficiency in lipreading and speech production. Internalized appropriate phonemic bases are only necessary if one is also attempting to internalized an aural/auditory language.

I'm not saying CS is not useful. What I am saying is that it is another articficial system of making English visable. The Deaf sure as h*** didn't come up with it. And if it is so successful in teaching literacy skills, why has it been around for so long, yet is so rarely used?

Back