Brand Spanking New!

SpaCityMedic

Reaction score
Well hello there! Im desiree and i am very new to the forum. I have bilateral meineres with profound deafness, more so in my left ear. Ive been losing my hearing slowly but steadily since i was about 17. Im 27 now and its begun progressing much muuuch quicker in the past 2 years. I joined alldeaf because i understand there is a cultural difference between hearing people, deaf, and the Deaf. I wonder if i could ever be accepted into the Deaf community since i was hearing for so long... Ive seen posts where deaf folks seem to not want any intruders into their Deaf world. I am sure they arent all like that, but i feel very ignorant on the subject so i just have to ask. I dont have any deaf friends other than a couple guys who also need to use hearing aids. I would like to make friends and get a little engouragement from time to time, as losing my hearing has become somewhat of a death in my life. And i find that i am still in mourning.

Well hello there! Im desiree and i am very new to the forum. I have bilateral meineres with profound deafness, more so in my left ear. Ive been losing my hearing slowly but steadily since i was about 17. Im 27 now and its begun progressing much muuuch quicker in the past 2 years. I joined alldeaf because i understand there is a cultural difference between hearing people, deaf, and the Deaf. I wonder if i could ever be accepted into the Deaf community since i was hearing for so long... Ive seen posts where deaf folks seem to not want any intruders into their Deaf world. I am sure they arent all like that, but i feel very ignorant on the subject so i just have to ask. I dont have any deaf friends other than a couple guys who also need to use hearing aids. I would like to make friends and get a little engouragement from time to time, as losing my hearing has become somewhat of a death in my life. And i find that i am still in mourning.

I think it's becoming more and more common for young late deafies to be interested in ASL and deaf culture......it's not unknown.

Wirelessly posted

Well, itd be nice to make some new deaf friends. Im working on my asl too but im finding that asl is structured a little different than exactly signing just the way english is structured. Anywyas, thanks for the warm welcomes. I hope i meet some cool ppl. And if there are any other late deafened ppl who need someone to talk to, or have questions about whatever- im around. :)

Wirelessly posted

Well, itd be nice to make some new deaf friends. Im working on my asl too but im finding that asl is structured a little different than exactly signing just the way english is structured. Anyways, thanks for the warm welcomes. I hope i meet some cool ppl. And if there are any other late deafened ppl who need someone to talk to, or have questions about whatever- im around. :)

Yes, ASL has a different structure and grammar than English, because ASL is it's own language (just like French and Spanish each have different grammar then each other and from English).

There are a lot of people who weren't born with hearing loss or deaf that learn ASL and become part fo the Deaf/ASL community.

Actually an example that you might personally like and relate to is Katie Leclerc, who plays Daphne on Switch at Birth - she, like you has Meniere's and she started learning ASL in high school (ironically before she found out she had HL, or Meniere's).

I think it's becoming more and more common for young late deafies to be interested in ASL and deaf culture......it's not unknown.[/QU thanks so much! I have heard about the show but had no idea till alldeaf ppl started talking about it, that someone on there was anyone deaf or hoh on the show! I think its really great that deaf people are starting to become more popular in tv and movies. Like when gil started losing his hearing on CSI. Or that woman on rescue me, (and i like that show bwcause its about firefighters, which i get to relate to, and now theres a deaf woman on there, which i find cool.)bummer its getting cancelled. We arent handicapped and now mainstream media is letting everyone elso know that too! So, anyhow, thanks for the info. I would really like to find out about more late deafened people who are successful and accomplished. Especially the ones with Meineres. _Des_

Welcome to ALLDEAF. I would be happy to PM discussions to about deaf life. I have been HOH since age 3 with severe/profound loss. my yahoo is djprall and thats my e-mail too!

Take care and don't ever believe you are alone!

Back