brand spankin new

Mister Ben

Reaction score
Greetings all........... I new as you can tell. went deaf over the last 10 years to the point where the boss refuses to try to talk to me anymore cuz he just can't handle it. His problem not mine.

After browsing around for a spell I found out that no I'm not alone really. I'm not the only person who feel's he's stuck between two worlds. It solves nothing for me but it's also reassuring at best to know others are around who are or have been where I'm at.

I've lost a few folks in my life whom I thought were friends...... but I guess they weren't. BUt I still have 2 good hearinig friends who have found ways to communicate with me and still have fun andd fellowship. Nice support but they live 5 hours away :-(

March 5th I'm getting a cochlear implant and as that time draws near I'm growing nervous as I don't really know what to expect after the surgery painwise that is. So I'll browse around in the forums cuz I'm sure there's something going on in a thread about it.

After the surgery and pending plug in ( if it works) I'll enroll in ASL class locally.

Until then I'll talk to walls and pet the dog cuz it seems they're the only two things around here that won't get frustrated with me and walk away.

Welcome, Ben! I'm new, too. I hope you find the support and encouragement you need here. They certainly have been kind to me.

Welcome Ben! I hope you will find solace in at least being able to talk to other late-deafened individuals with similar experiences. You'll find a wide variety of Deaf here :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:wave:Welcome Ben; I'm fairly new here also. Just got my CI on the 4th of Feb. Will get it activated on the 2nd of March and boy am I looking forward to that!
On the pain part, in my case it was VERY almost non existant. A mild discomfort was about it. I will say that I did everything the Dr. asked me to do to a "T" I think I was lucky as some have expressed a lot of pain. Maybe tolerance to pain? Anyway, I did not even need or take tynenol. I lost my hearing slowly over a period of 50 plus years from loud noise. Finally got to the point that hearing aids would not do the job. CI may or may not do it but time will tell. Either way life goes on and I'm enjoying my retirement. :lol:
Good luck
Rampratt

Hi Ben. I'm new here too. I'm a "hearie" but I hope to become an active member, as I find Deaf people tend to listen more, on average.

And in any case, online we're all the same.

Hi Ben. I'm new here too. I'm a "hearie" but I hope to become an active member, as I find Deaf people tend to listen more, on average.

And in any case, online we're all the same.

On the bold for listen, what do you mean by that? We are deaf and we don't listen, just hear environment sounds with our hearing aids or CIs. There are few Hard of Hearing people who are able to listen but not too many wordwise. They can get confused not picking up the words. So help me to straighten me out what you mean by listening. :scratch:

Back