Brainwashing camp for gay kids

Vance

Reaction score
I feel so sick when I read this... Read on (source):

A Tennessee-based religious organization euphemistically called “Love in Action” is running a brainwashing camp for gay kids.

Among the camp’s practices, posted on the blog of a youth whose parents are forcing him to attend:

* Kids in the program are not allowed to speak to anyone, not even their parents, for at least the first two days.
* Kids are not allowed to go anywhere unless they are accompanied by at least two other participants, one of which has to have at least 8 weeks of prior indoctrination.
* Kids are not allowed to keep a journal or a diary
* Kids are not allowed to discuss what goes on in the program with anyone, not even their parents
* Kids are not allowed to have contact with any family members other than parents, who also go through the program
* Kids are not allowed to have any physical contact with any human being other than a hand shake or a pat on the shoulder, and only when authorized.
* Kids are not allowed outside of a small geographic area within Memphis, even if accompanied by parents, without prior written authorization
* Kids are not allowed to listen to any music that is not explicitly Christian (Bach and Beethoven are specifically forbidden as being non-Christian)
* Kids are not permitted to enter restaurants that serve alcohol
* Kids are not allowed to speak after 9:00 p.m. under any circumstance
* Kids may be placed in a state of isolation where they are not allowed to communicate with one another

Ex-gay programs, however misguided, are fine for consenting adults who for whatever reason think they want to change their sexual orientation (despite zero proof that it is even possible). This program is administered to minors against their will. It is forced indoctrination, including dehumanizing, degrading treatment. I really hope some civil liberties types will get clued into this and put a stop to it.

In the mean time, a local group of gays and lesbians (largely kids themselves) is orchestrating a protest outside of this cult-like establishment every day for the next two weeks. Kudos to them. If I were within a reasonable distance I would be right there with them. The protest has garnered some local media coverage, and the story is heating up in the blogosphere. Let’s put an end to this outrageous treatment of innocent kids.

In the latest post on the Queer Action coalition blog, they posted a precis of an interview that they did with a former participant in the program, who outlined activities such as:
[…] “shaming sessions”, where the clients have to, once a day, describe in emotional detail “sinful activities” they’d partaken in…these sessions were then extended to having to describe these things in front of 50 or 60 people on “friends and family” nights, where the family was encouraged to shame them, not be supportive.
This is “love” in action.

Note: The blog from the youth whose parents are forcing him to go to this camp hasn’t been updated since before the camp started. Reading the comments, however, you will find updates from his friends who are sort of spying on him and showing up “accidentally” here and there so that he knows he is being supported from the outside.

Links:

Daily Kos diary
Wayne Besen on the dangers and failures of Love in Action

~End~

Many thanks to Political Community members for post the link and spread the words about this godless barbaric situation.

Edit: What makes it worse is that his parents lied to him. If anyone don't catch what I mean, click "practices" link please.

I hear it all the time...

about people hating each other, brainwashing each other,
and all the bigots and stuff going around....
if people stop giving people the reason to hate ya... then
this world will be at peace.

That is why I hate people.

Magatsu said:

A Tennessee-based religious organization euphemistically called “Love in Action” is running a brainwashing camp for gay kids.

Among the camp’s practices, posted on the blog of a youth whose parents are forcing him to attend:

* Kids in the program are not allowed to speak to anyone, not even their parents, for at least the first two days.
* Kids are not allowed to go anywhere unless they are accompanied by at least two other participants, one of which has to have at least 8 weeks of prior indoctrination.
* Kids are not allowed to discuss what goes on in the program with anyone, not even their parents
* Kids are not allowed to have contact with any family members other than parents, who also go through the program
* Kids are not allowed to have any physical contact with any human being other than a hand shake or a pat on the shoulder, and only when authorized.
* Kids are not allowed outside of a small geographic area within Memphis, even if accompanied by parents, without prior written authorization
* Kids are not allowed to listen to any music that is not explicitly Christian (Bach and Beethoven are specifically forbidden as being non-Christian)
* Kids may be placed in a state of isolation where they are not allowed to communicate with one another

Ex-gay programs, however misguided, are fine for consenting adults who for whatever reason think they want to change their sexual orientation (despite zero proof that it is even possible). This program is administered to minors against their will. It is forced indoctrination, including dehumanizing, degrading treatment. I really hope some civil liberties types will get clued into this and put a stop to it.

In the mean time, a local group of gays and lesbians (largely kids themselves) is orchestrating a protest outside of this cult-like establishment every day for the next two weeks. Kudos to them. If I were within a reasonable distance I would be right there with them. The protest has garnered some local media coverage, and the story is heating up in the blogosphere. Let’s put an end to this outrageous treatment of innocent kids.

In the latest post on the Queer Action coalition blog, they posted a precis of an interview that they did with a former participant in the program, who outlined activities such as:This is “love” in action.

Note: The blog from the youth whose parents are forcing him to go to this camp hasn’t been updated since before the camp started. Reading the comments, however, you will find updates from his friends who are sort of spying on him and showing up “accidentally” here and there so that he knows he is being supported from the outside.

Links:

Daily Kos diary

~End~

Many thanks to Political Community members for post the link and spread the words about this godless barbaric situation.

Edit: What makes it worse is that his parents lied to him. If anyone don't catch what I mean, click "practices" link please.

Magatsu -- after reading this -- i dont believe this is "love in action" its outright BRAINWASHING -- :ugh: groups like this DOES make me *sick*

Magatsu said:

In the latest post on the Queer Action coalition blog, they posted a precis of an interview that they did with a former participant in the program, who outlined activities such as:This is “love” in action.

Links:

Daily Kos diary

~End~

just like i mentioned via our IM convo... it is like a CULT!!!... sheesh... :ugh: cuz a lot of kids get homesick for their parents/family... and they are not allowed to talk to their parents!?!? that BLEW MY MIND!!! :madfawk:

This is in Memphis, TN? I've never heard a thing about it. I think I may contact the local news about this.

Just another reason why Christian fundamentalism is wrong.

It angers me when I see things like this. Why can't people just accept that homosexuals, bisexuals and the transgendered, are just like everybody else walking down the street?

Oh, this crap makes me ill and, it makes me angry, too. It infuriates me, actually. Some of these religious nuts needs to just butt the fuck out of people's lives!

:ugh: Okay, I'm done.

I'm sorry, Magatsu, but seeing this sort of thing drives me crazy!

People are people, and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

cental34 said:
This is in Memphis, TN? I've never heard a thing about it. I think I may contact the local news about this.

Just another reason why Christian fundamentalism is wrong.

I'm not surprised, though. Tennesee is right in the middle of "Bible Belt Country". There's alot of fundy whackos in 'dem parts.

Yes, but Memphis is not too much of the Christian fundie breeding ground that eastern TN is. Sure we have Bellevue Baptist, but I don't think that church is the radically conservative.

Wow....this is the second place I've seen this!!!! Maybe it'll hit the mainstream media VERY soon! That would be awesome....maybe then it would rip the covers off of the ex-gay movement. I think gay acceptance has come so incredibily far in just a few short years. I would never have imagined being out in high school....I was out to a lot of people at college, I would never have imagined a pamphelt about Pride week being displayed at a local church....It's horrific to see stuff like this.....but maybe this might bring gay acceptance even further into the mainstream! :)

cental34 said:
Yes, but Memphis is not too much of the Christian fundie breeding ground that eastern TN is. Sure we have Bellevue Baptist, but I don't think that church is the radically conservative.

I wouldn't know, exactly. I just know what the Bible Belt is known for. Regardless, "therapy programs" like this seem to cropping up more and more.

Makes one wonder what someone's true definition of "Christian" is. :ugh:

deafdyke said:
Wow....this is the second place I've seen this!!!! Maybe it'll hit the mainstream media VERY soon! That would be awesome....maybe then it would rip the covers off of the ex-gay movement. I think gay acceptance has come so incredibily far in just a few short years. I would never have imagined being out in high school....I was out to a lot of people at college, I would never have imagined a pamphelt about Pride week being displayed at a local church....It's horrific to see stuff like this.....but maybe this might bring gay acceptance even further into the mainstream! :)

I agree with you, to a point. I think that gay acceptance is becoming more and more prevalent, but, don't look for this to hit mainstream media any time soon. It's my feeling that programs like this is still very much hidden from the mainstream, and that is exactly how certain people want it!

Oceanbreeze said:
I wouldn't know, exactly. I just know what the Bible Belt is known for. Regardless, "therapy programs" like this seem to cropping up more and more.

Makes one wonder what someone's true definition of "Christian" is. :ugh:

I showed this to a friend, and I think he best summed it up.

"There people are not Christians."

uhhh im at a loss here. i see the same people speaking out for parental rights bashing what these parents have chosen for their children. this country was founded on the Christian religion. there is much we don't know about this camp and if this were true i am sure we would have seen something in the news about it. so far, all we have is the word of one disgruntled youth. how do we know that this isnt a boot camp for deviant teens?

no it was not. many of the the founding fathers were unitarians or deists, in fact, i believe Thomas Jefferson proclaimed to be an atheist, or agnostic.

As far your challenge of the credibility of this account, do you really think someone would embellish that much? after talking with some friends, I've found out I personally know someone whose parents sent them to this program.

here are some more links for you:
http://www.loveinaction.org/
http://blog.myspace.com/specialkid

parental rights are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to down to something as cruel as this....

I've also found this contact info:
Love in Action
(901) 751-2468
1620 Bonnie LN
Cordova, TN 38016

Cordova, is a part of the richer, upper class part of Memphis, a predominantly Baptist area, in which at least 30,000 who comprise the aforementioned Bellevue Baptist...

This is sick!!! *shake the head*

I don't like those program what they did for the children because it could be lead the children judge and disrespectful on everyone. *shake the head*

Magatu wanted me to post this:

Since Magatsu is traveling, and can't access All-Deaf, he asked me to post this for him:

Thomas: Christian group's attempt to convert gay people sparks protests
Bartlett teen, forced into program, shares his fears online

Can gay people be turned straight?

If you ask the Christian group, Love In Action, the answer is yes.

If you ask most mental health associations, they'd say no and that reparative therapy can be emotionally scarring.

But the parents of a Bartlett teenager hope that LIA will straighten out their son. Last Monday, these parents forced their son into LIA's youth program, Refuge, at the group's headquarters in a former church building in Raleigh.

Ordinarily, this wouldn't be news; lots of well-intentioned parents have sought to change their child's God-given sexuality.

But this Bartlett 16-year-old, who came out to his parents just weeks ago and whom I won't name, keeps a Weblog. Thousands around the world have been following his saga online.

"They [his parents] tell me that there is something psychologically wrong with me," he wrote on his blog May 29. "I'm a big screw up to them, who isn't on the path God wants me to be on. So I'm sitting here in tears... and I can't help it.

"I wish I had never told them. I wish I just fought the urge two more years... I had done it for three before then, right? If I could take it all back.. I would..."

LIA's director, John Smid, who says he's been free from the homosexual lifestyle, although not same-sex attractions, for 20 years, says it's not LIA's goal "to make sure clients never act out in homosexual relationships."

The mission, he says, is to help the teens make informed, honest decisions about their sexual choices, and to seek God's best for their life.

For Peterson Toscano, who put himself in LIA's adult program nearly 10 years ago, the best life is one free from the shame that reparative therapy programs inflict and a life of self-acceptance.

Today, after years of trying to reconcile his sexuality with his Christianity, he's confident in his salvation and his sexual identity as a gay man.

Toscano spent $30,000 and time on three continents trying to be straight. He got married (and divorced). He joined fundamentalist, then evangelical, then Pentecostal, and finally, charismatic churches. "I started trying to ramp up my experience, (thinking) that maybe a little more Holy Ghost would do it."

He volunteered in Ecuador with Exodus International, an organization that believes gay people can become straight.

He subjected himself to three exorcisms, including one by a Jamaican woman in New York City. "She was trying to drive out the spirits of homosexuality, lust and gluttony," he remembers. "It got broken up by the police because it was getting too loud."

The exorcism for homosexuality didn't -- couldn't -- take. In July 1996, Toscano moved to Memphis to enroll in LIA's adult program.

At a cost of $950 a month, Toscano, now 40, stayed in LIA's residential program for more than two years.

The rules dictated he shave every day, and stay out of the forbidden zones: Midtown, Downtown and anywhere west of Highland. In group therapy, clients were instructed to share their sexual thoughts and homosexual experiences in clinical terms. (Smid says the group sharing of sexual experiences is no longer a part of the therapy.)

Toscano says he was in a "biblically induced coma, with a toxic mixture of fear and shame."

"We had a mock funeral for a 19-year-old" also in the program, he says. "We actually laid him out on the table, so we could talk about what a shame he didn't live his life right."

While he was at LIA, a fellow client tried to kill himself.

It took Toscano, now a Quaker, 17 years of submitting to the ex-gay movement to realize that "there's nothing that can be done ... and nothing need be done" about his sexual identity.

"The big shift came when I stopped looking outward for direction and started looking inward," said Toscano, who has made a career, literally, about the years he spent trying to be straight. His time at LIA became a one-man play, "Doing Time in the Ho Mo No Mo Halfway House," which he performed at a Memphis church in 2003. "Fish Can't Fly," a film that includes his LIA experience, debuted at a gay/lesbian film festival in New York City Sunday.

He calls his play a "truth-telling piece about what I experienced. I let people make their own decision" about whether reparative therapy works or not.

For him, it didn't, and that's a good thing.

"The amazing thing for me is how comfortable I feel in my skin," he says.

"People who know me, and have known me over a couple years [say] it's so refreshing to see you as you."

For more links to Toscano, Love In Action, or the local group supporting the Bartlett teen, Queer Action Coalition, go to commercialappeal.com and click on the links with this column.

Also online: The story of Brandon Tidwell, a Memphis man who didn't find help in LIA, but in New Testament scripture.

Source: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/news_columnists/article/0,1426,MCA_646_3853123,00.html

Back