Braille Menus

Renée12

Reaction score
So earlier today my (hearing) gf and I went to Applebee's for lunch. When we said that I was deaf, I was offered a Braille menu. We tried to explain that it was my ears that didn't work and not my eyes, but the waitress insisted on me using the menu. We finally asked for the manager. We got a different waitress and I got a regular menu. Has anyone else been in similar situations?

ive been asked if i knew braille because is was Deaf and signed..
nothing like the dish you got handed though

Sadly not rare... One night after class I got through McDonald's drive through... I scared the lady and apologized, told her I was deaf. She was wearing really dark shades, no clue why, maybe pakaeyed who knows.... Anyways she asks if I read lips and I told her no, I read her eyes... She closes the window and comes back with a brail menu with a sticky not saying to point what I want... 0.o think poor girl rolled too many and sniffed some just to be sure...

When I went out with my hearing dog he had on his working vest with had 'Hearing Dog' printed in 3 places and on his leash and collar and people would and ask if
I was blind and some people wanted to know it needed help reading things . My dog was on a leash and I never seen a guide dog with a leash , they had a handle for the person to hold to . I was once out with my daughter and granddaughter and a saleslady was telling pets aren't allowed in the store and I told her that was my
'hearing dog' and I am watching my grandchild . The saleslady asked me if I was blind ! HUH?? Yeah this has happen to be before , it does made great stories to tell your friends for a good laugh!

My dog was on a leash and I never seen a guide dog with a leash , they had a handle for the person to hold to .

I don't know if it's standard but I do remember a friend and another person in college with guide dogs. Both of them had leashes in addition to the harness/handle. Leash was there to hold when the person lets go of the handle and the dog is not 'working'.

Back