Bracelet identifying child as Deaf?

Mountain Man

Reaction score
My wife and I have an interesting question: our kids wear bright, red allergy bracelets that identify foods they're allergic to so in case they happen to get separated from us, folks won't accidentally kill them by giving them a snack. My wife was wondering about giving my Deaf son a customized bracelet that reads "Deaf - ASL Only". He's still young and not particularly expressive, and some people don't even realize he's Deaf because he'll grin and nod when they talk to him. This way, if, God forbid, he got separated from us at a museum or the zoo, at least the staff would know to find a signer to communicate with him.

Is this a totally weird or offensive idea?

Nothing is weird or offensive at all! I think it's awesome becuase most people would talk to him without realize that he is deaf (your son). So, I think it is great idea!

Great idea. I would also put your phone number on it so you could be reached immediately, should the need arise.

My wife and I have an interesting question: our kids wear bright, red allergy bracelets that identify foods they're allergic to so in case they happen to get separated from us, folks won't accidentally kill them by giving them a snack. My wife was wondering about giving my Deaf son a customized bracelet that reads "Deaf - ASL Only". He's still young and not particularly expressive, and some people don't even realize he's Deaf because he'll grin and nod when they talk to him. This way, if, God forbid, he got separated from us at a museum or the zoo, at least the staff would know to find a signer to communicate with him.

Is this a totally weird or offensive idea?

I think it is an excellent idea, given how long it takes most hearing people to figure out that a kid is not hearing them.

I wouldn't put the address on it for just that reason, but a cell-phone number seems a good idea.

That's all you have to say? Can you please give a explain why you disagreed?

"Oh look, there's a deaf child. How cute....."

That's why.

I actually had a hard time coming up with to the point explanation of why. So I just posted that. And the above quote is as simple as I can get.

Also not to mention; a parent should be responsible on their child's whereabouts all the times. If the child was kidnapped I doubt the kidnapper will even spend the time trying to communicate with the child much.

And I personally don't like to be lumped in with the medical disordered label, nor advertise the concept.

That's why.

I actually had a hard time coming up with to the point explanation of why. So I just posted that. And the above quote is as simple as I can get.

Also not to mention; a parent should be responsible on their child's whereabouts all the times. If the child was kidnapped I doubt the kidnapper will even spend the time trying to communicate with the child much.

Fine then hearing people will talking to kids without know that they are deaf and hearing people will feel retard when they find out that kids are deaf.

Think back, carefully, do you think they really feel like a "retard"?

Of course because they WOULD NOT know that kids are deaf because they can't tell. That's why I agreed with this thread. Hearing people need to know before they speak to them. So that they won't feel stupid when they find out that kids are deaf.

Of course because they WOULD NOT know that kids are deaf because they can't tell. That's why I agreed with this thread. Hearing people need to know before they speak to them. So that they won't feel stupid when they find out that kids are deaf.

Please read my posts again, and carefully.

That's why.

I am thinking if a child predator knew a child was deaf and had their address it would made the child easier target! When my car was t boned and I was knock out cold people were trying to talk to me , they did not know I was HOH. Both my HA got knocked out of my ears and where in the back of my car on the floor! It would had helped if I had an ID bracelet saying I was HOH! What is the difference between with wearing an ID bracelet say you're deaf or HOH or wearing HA! People will know a child is HOH wearing a HA too!

I am thinking if a child predator knew a child was deaf and had their address it would made the child easier target! When my car was t boned and I was knock out cold people were trying to talk to me , they did not know I was HOH. Both my HA got knocked out of my ears and where in the back of my car on the floor! It would had helped if I had an ID bracelet saying I was HOH! What is the difference between with wearing an ID bracelet say you're deaf or HOH or wearing HA! People will know a child is HOH wearing a HA too!

First: When one is knocked out cold - usually it's impossible to talk to them.

Second: post number 15, buddy.

First: When one is knocked out cold - usually it's impossible to talk to them.

Second: post number 15, buddy.

I know that , but I when I got to ER I was coming through and the DR. was trying to talk to me and I could not hear him and he was getting upset that I did not answer him!! An ID bracelet when had been helpful. I hope I will never have need for one!

I know that , but I when I got to ER I was coming through and the DR. was trying to talk to me and I could not hear him and he was getting upset that I did not answer him!! An ID bracelet when had been helpful. I hope I will never have need for one!

Why don't you have one now then?

You guys have me thinking. Maybe a little charm or something that could be worn on a necklace chain, under a blouse or shirt, might not be a bad idea, with medical info on it. (I'm talking for adults, not kids.)

Years ago, I had surgery and when I was coming out of it, I heard the doctor say "I think she's waking up now. Can you squeeze my hand?" And then a nurse said "She's hard of hearing, she might not hear you."

Now in fact at that time my hearing loss wasn't that bad and I COULD hear them and I did squeeze somebody's hand to indicate I was coming out of the anesthesia, but if I were in the same situation today, I would not be able to hear that request. So if a situation might arise where I was semi-conscious and someone was trying to get me to respond, it could be useful to have that bit of information handy.

I dunno. Couldn't hurt, might possibly help.

Back