Boy Scouts brace for release of internal child sex abuse files

rockin'robin

Reaction score
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Thousands of pages of internal files from the Boy Scouts of America detailing cases of suspected or confirmed child molestation by Scout leaders and adult volunteers spanning two decades were due to be released on Thursday as part of a civil judgment against the organization.

The 1,247 files - known internally as the "confidential" or "ineligible volunteer" files - reveal in often disturbing language thousands of incidents in which young Scouts were sexually abused by adult leaders between 1965 and 1985, according to lawyers familiar with the documents.

Since at least 1919, the Boy Scouts, headquartered in Irving, Texas, has maintained the file to prevent suspected pedophiles from re-entering its ranks in other cities and states.

Police were involved in nearly two-thirds of the 1965-1985 cases, according to a recently released Boy Scouts report. But in scores of cases around the nation, local Scout leaders urged confessed or suspected pedophiles to quietly resign and did not notify authorities.

In other cases, pedophiles were allowed to return to the organization after being treated by psychiatrists. In a number of those cases, according to Boy Scouts officials and plaintiff attorneys, the men went on to molest more young Scouts.

Boy Scouts of America President Wayne Perry said in a statement late Wednesday that "there have been instances where people misused their positions in Scouting to abuse children, and in certain cases, our response to these incidents and our efforts to protect youth were plainly insufficient, inappropriate and wrong."

Perry added that "while it's difficult to understand or explain individuals' actions from many decades ago, Scouting is a leader among youth-serving organizations in preventing child abuse."

The files set to be released on Thursday played a key evidentiary role in a 2010 civil case in which an Oregon jury found the organization liable for $18.5 million for failing to protect a Scout from a pedophile in the 1980s.

An Oregon circuit judge ordered the files released. The state's highest court upheld that order in June, over objections by the Boy Scouts. A similar court fight is unfolding in Texas over Boy Scouts files created from 1985 to 2010.

The older files will be released electronically in searchable database form by an Oregon law firm that represented the plaintiff in the Oregon case, said plaintiff attorney Paul Mones.

Some will show cases in which the Boy Scouts was prevented by its own attorneys from formally expelling adult leaders accused of abuse unless they were convicted in court.

The organization currently requires even suspected cases of child molestation to be reported immediately to authorities, conducts criminal background checks on adult applicants and prohibits one-on-one contact between an adult and a young Scout. The Boy Scouts also trains volunteers and Scout leaders to spot signs of abuse.

Boy Scouts brace for release of internal child sex abuse files - Yahoo! News

That's why I have no respect for Boy Scouts at all.

I was a Boy Scout that was raised Catholic. I was unaware of any of these things. Lucky for me, my childhood was fairly normal, considering.

I was a Boy Scout that was raised Catholic. I was unaware of any of these things. Lucky for me, my childhood was fairly normal, considering.

Admit it...takes a man to admit bein sodomized. :lol: Joe Paterno didnt even know what that word mean. :lol:

Admit it...takes a man to admit bein sodomized. :lol: Joe Paterno didnt even know what that word mean. :lol:
Maybe I wasn't their type?

I would never admit something of that nature online, because I would be busy finding a lawyer.

I was referring to my personal experience; nothing of this nature was happening during my time with either of these organizations. I do not deny that these things occurred to others, however, just not to me or my friends/family.

Well....for the life of me...I can't understand "WHY" anyone would want to sexually abuse a child....?????....We, right now, in my city have many, many cases involving child rape/molestation, etc. ...Some too graphic to print.....

I'm becoming real tired of the "excuse" that these men are "mentally ill".....

And IMO....anyone convicted of sexually abusing a child should be casterated...no if's or but's about it....and if they have been convicted of multiple counts, then the death sentence....

That's my take of it....just feel we have been "coddling" these abusers too long, are too easy on them regarding their sentencing of jail/prison.....

i live opposite a home for kids with serious issues that been abuse,..15yr old kid who had his penis cut off by some creature that was less than human been in recently ..sadly that is not uncommon thing to do by these less worse than scum bag people....sodomizing is part of what these creatures do..they desexualise there victims ..there other cases even worse ..when i am told their stories it makes me weep and i cant sleep for days

Well....for the life of me...I can't understand "WHY" anyone would want to sexually abuse a child....?????....We, right now, in my city have many, many cases involving child rape/molestation, etc. ...Some too graphic to print.....

And IMO....anyone convicted of sexually abusing a child should be casterated...no if's or but's about it....and if they have been convicted of multiple counts, then the death sentence....

That's my take of it....just feel we have been "coddling" these abusers too long, are too easy on them regarding their sentencing of jail/prison.....

The child abusers cannot receive death penalty due to Supreme Court case - Kennedy v. Louisiana

What I find very disturbing about this whole coverup is that the Boy Scouts are very homophobic but they cover up sexual abuse against young boys for years.

The child abusers cannot receive death penalty due to Supreme Court case - Kennedy v. Louisiana

Yes, they can. Did you not read RR's quote where it said "multiple counts"?
They would still be child abusers with charges thrown on top and then they could get death.

They would still be child abusers with charges thrown on top and then they could get death.

It doesn't matter - the US Supreme Court says no, unless child abusers have to KILL the child to qualify for death penalty.

please do show us a case where child rapists have been sentenced to death for multiple counts of molestations/rapes.

(don't cheat by showing me a case where a child rapist was sentenced to death...... because he was also a murderer)

It doesn't matter - the US Supreme Court says no, unless child abusers have to KILL the child to qualify for death penalty.

What do you think "multiple counts" means?
BTW: The court has ruled that the rape of a child under a certain age (i.e. special circumstances) DOES qualify for the death penalty.

because child rapists were also raped when they were kid. most of them never received counseling because they never told anybody so they raped out of anger or to blame them for what happened to them. after they were raped as a child, they grew up for a long time feeling very confused, lost, hurt, and angry because they could not tell anybody and they thought it was their fault. this vicious cycle continues to repeat.

some child rapists are just... truly demented and extremely sick but most of them are rape victims. sad.

BTW: The court has ruled that the rape of a child under a certain age (i.e. special circumstances) DOES qualify for the death penalty.

where? source please?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/washington/26scotuscnd.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
WASHINGTON — The death penalty is unconstitutional as a punishment for the rape of a child, a sharply divided Supreme Court ruled Wednesday.

The 5-to-4 decision overturned death penalty laws in Louisiana and five other states. The only two men in the country who have been sentenced to death for the crime of child rape, both in Louisiana, will receive new sentences of life without parole.

I think you forget that you're in 2012, not 1950.

Bold - INCORRECT.

because child rapists were also raped when they were kid. most of them never received counseling because they never told anybody so they raped out of anger or to blame them for what happened to them. after they were raped as a child, they grew up for a long time feeling very confused, lost, hurt, and angry because they could not tell anybody and they thought it was their fault. this vicious cycle continues to repeat.

some child rapists are just... truly demented and extremely sick but most of them are rape victims. sad.

Could you give me percentage of child rapists were raped when little? A lot of victims would not want to hurt kids b/c they know how it feels to be hurt as a child. You're talkin about prison. :lol: They get raped so they rape back. Prisoners pass it on.

I cant imagine how awful it is pedophiles sodomize kids especially boys. A lot of molesters are very immature. They go after kids b/c they cant fight back. :mad2: Ya think Jerry Sandusky was raped? I fookin doubt it. Usually most victims stay to themselves.

Could you give me percentage of child rapists were raped when little? A lot of victims would not want to hurt kids b/c they know how it feels to be hurt as a child. You're talkin about prison. :lol: They get raped so they rape back. Prisoners pass it on.

http://www.stephenbrakeassociates.com/Recid.pdf
Researchers estimate that somewhere between
64% and 99% of sexual assaults are never reported by victims and most studies indicate that fewer than
16% of sex offense victims eventually report their crimes

FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin.
Like rape, child molestation is one of the most underreported crimes: only 1-10% are ever disclosed.

National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp
About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
problem is.... since most child rapes were never reported... it skewered the statistics of number of child rapists who were raped as child.

I cant imagine how awful it is pedophiles sodomize kids especially boys. A lot of molesters are very immature. They go after kids b/c they cant fight back. :mad2: Ya think Jerry Sandusky was raped? I fookin doubt it. Usually most victims stay to themselves.
I don't know if Sandusky was raped or not but I think he was most likely abused by his father.

Most victims do not keep to themselves. They act out on it by victimizing other people and committing crimes.

Back