Boy Fights Off Attacking Bear

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
By MARY PEMBERTON, AP

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (April 27) - A 15-year-old boy on a wilderness expedition for emotionally troubled youths woke up to find a 400-pound brown bear with a bad attitude sitting at his feet.

After trying unsuccessfully to back out of the tent, the boy was bitten in the forearm and decided to fight back, punching the bear with his left hand a half-dozen times, Alaska State Trooper Adam Benson said

When the teenager tried to run, the bear bit him again below his ribs, this time leaving a half-dozen puncture wounds on his back, Benson said.

The boy punched the bear again, and again she let him go, but chased him around a nearby stand of trees. He eventually remembered an air horn in his gear, and blew it in the bear's muzzle, waking others in the camp, said Steve Prysunka, director of the six-week "Crossing Wilderness Expeditions for Youth" program.

Prysunka asked that the boy not be identified.

The bear finally turned and ran after counselors blasted her with pepper spray and fired a flare at her feet, Prysunka said. Later Saturday, following the morning attack, officials found the sow in the campsite area on Deer Island in southeast Alaska and killed her.

The boy was flown out to a hospital, where he was treated, then sent home to Barrow to give his wounds time to heal, Prysunka said.

"I think he is the biggest, baddest thing in the woods. He punched the bear," Prysunka said.

Wow...I would Panic if I saw a bear...Good thing that Boy Is alive. Must be crazy punching a bear like that.. what a brave Kid.

WOW!! what a BRAVE boy!!! if i were in his shoes, then i will run away!!!! i cant fight this bear!!! :ugh:

yeah...if you've punched the bear in the face, he would be very pissed off and get more violent...

but hey, do bears like to eat the dead?

the answer is no.

See, if the boy was playing dead, the bear would've just walked away with no problem at all :roll:

:shock: What a brave lad! I think I'd panic and scream my head off without doing anything heroic! :P

Wow what a bravest young guy he is!....

hmmm.....I am curious,

If you don't want to get attack or even killed by a bear , isn't it a safe thing to do by playing dead?....instead of hitting or running away from a bear?....I thought I read something like that in case you face a bear....

^Angel^ said:
Wow what a bravest young guy he is!....

hmmm.....I am curious,

If you don't want to get attack or even killed by a bear , isn't it a safe thing to do by playing dead?....instead of hitting or running away from a bear?....I thought I read something like that in case you face a bear....

From the website,
Playing Dead

Playing dead may prevent serious injury if you are attacked by a grizzly bear. Do not play dead during a black bear attack or if a grizzly bear is treating you as prey. Playing dead will help protect your vital areas, and the bear may leave if you appear harmless. There are two recommended positions:

lie on your side, curled into a ball, legs drawn tightly to your chest, hands clasped behind your neck;

lie flat on the ground, face down, fingers intertwined behind your neck.

Stay in these positions even if moved. Do not resist or struggle - it may intensify the attack. Look around cautiously, and be sure the bear is gone before moving.

Fighting Back

If a black bear attacks you or a grizzly bear shows signs that it considers you prey, and you do not have a firearm, do not play dead. Act aggressively. Defend yourself with whatever means are available. You want to appear dominant and frighten the bear. Jump up and down, shout, and wave your arms. It may help to raise your jacket or pack to make you look bigger.

http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.ca/Publications/safetyinbearcountry/attacks.htm

Cheri said:
By MARY PEMBERTON, AP

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (April 27) - A 15-year-old boy on a wilderness expedition for emotionally troubled youths woke up to find a 400-pound brown bear with a bad attitude sitting at his feet.

After trying unsuccessfully to back out of the tent, the boy was bitten in the forearm and decided to fight back, punching the bear with his left hand a half-dozen times, Alaska State Trooper Adam Benson said

When the teenager tried to run, the bear bit him again below his ribs, this time leaving a half-dozen puncture wounds on his back, Benson said.

The boy punched the bear again, and again she let him go, but chased him around a nearby stand of trees. He eventually remembered an air horn in his gear, and blew it in the bear's muzzle, waking others in the camp, said Steve Prysunka, director of the six-week "Crossing Wilderness Expeditions for Youth" program.

Prysunka asked that the boy not be identified.

The bear finally turned and ran after counselors blasted her with pepper spray and fired a flare at her feet, Prysunka said. Later Saturday, following the morning attack, officials found the sow in the campsite area on Deer Island in southeast Alaska and killed her.

The boy was flown out to a hospital, where he was treated, then sent home to Barrow to give his wounds time to heal, Prysunka said.

"I think he is the biggest, baddest thing in the woods. He punched the bear," Prysunka said.

Wow...I would Panic if I saw a bear...Good thing that Boy Is alive. Must be crazy punching a bear like that.. what a brave Kid.

Believe me... I was chased by the bear before when i worked at MCC in Hickley, Minnestoa.. I got myself lost in the woods somehow i saw a little cute cubs somehow i didn't realized the mother or father bear was chased front me i was like FUCKK i keep running and i got my both ankle spraining but i even still running somehow i saw a big hole so i decide to JUMP over the big hole the bear fall in the hole and i got so lucky so i found myself on the road so i cried for a help.. good enuf i got bad sprain ankle, few bruise on me.. it's a scared moment for me..

that kid was definately BRAVE!!!!!!!

WOULD i fight a bear if i was face to face with 1 qq i dont know i truly do not know how i would react -- it could be: 1.) freeze, 2.) run off as fast as i can, or 3.) find somewhere i can hide FAST -- in all of my 35 years of life, ive not come across a wild bear YET and i imagine the sight of a wild bear would be amazing so i think most likely ill just freeze and watch what the bear is doing without approaching it unless ofc if it approaches me in a threatening manner then ofc i would have to run LOL

ive seen various other wild animals across the USA and it was a very humbling experience to see them out in the wilds without being imprisoned -- once saw a coyote cub and it was the CUTE thing!!! ive wondered where mom was (off point i know but ahh ill shaddup LOL)

CoolieFroggie said:
Believe me... I was chased by the bear before when i worked at MCC in Hickley, Minnestoa.. I got myself lost in the woods somehow i saw a little cute cubs somehow i didn't realized the mother or father bear was chased front me i was like FUCKK i keep running and i got my both ankle spraining but i even still running somehow i saw a big hole so i decide to JUMP over the big hole the bear fall in the hole and i got so lucky so i found myself on the road so i cried for a help.. good enuf i got bad sprain ankle, few bruise on me.. it's a scared moment for me..

WOW That's scary...I am glad you made it out alive....

Children are trained by hunters through friends, families, and neighbors about what to do if, something happens to their children. Children are more knowledge in the woods than the ones who don't live in the woods. Alaska is the toughest state for anyone to challenge. For example: I learned that the Grizzly Bears will go away if, you use the bell to ring it off out loud. And, plus another thing, DON'T go in the woods when women have their menstrual otherwise the Grizzly Bears will follow and kill you. They can smell "blood" more than a mile.
I remma a friend of mine shared a story about a couple who went to the cabin where it has no electricity, no water, no tiolet and everything... and they were terrified of the DEEP PITCH DARK out there in the woods where the cabin stood with many forests all around it. *Chuckles* They decided not to go to the cabin ever again. They prefer everything where the "city" has them all...too spoiled without ever learnin' anything for their own survival.

Well, that's ALASKA !! LOL

CyberRed said:
, DON'T go in the woods when women have their menstrual otherwise the Grizzly Bears will follow and kill you. They can smell "blood" more than a mile.
Well, that's ALASKA !! LOL

That includes human women too. I was attacked more than one time. :Oops:

Steel said:
yeah...if you've punched the bear in the face, he would be very pissed off and get more violent...

but hey, do bears like to eat the dead?

the answer is no.

See, if the boy was playing dead, the bear would've just walked away with no problem at all :roll:
Hell no... if you wiling pretend dead.. will eat you alive.. your choice prefer not pretend dead or prefer stay dead.. Wha.. your choice answer?

Banjo, thank you for website... it´s interesting to read... but I´m agree with Bullymom... It´s risk...
I rather run away faster as I can...

I can´t beleive how brave the boy is but it would affect his nightmare rest of his life... :(

First read then open the pictures.
This large bear is the largest bear, which was ever seen... He killed more than 20 persons.
Which it was happened in Crater Lake in Oregon (the USA), was it approx 3.96m largely!! Last picture, the man who shot the bear with strong nerve.WARNING... it´s awful picture... you need a strong nerve before open the pictures.

The bear would eat you if they are hungry like wild cats etc.

Attachments

• sometimes the bear eats you.jpg
    sometimes the bear eats you.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 13
  • Tedbear12.jpg
    Tedbear12.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 12
  • TedPaw2.jpg
    TedPaw2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 12
CoolieFroggie said:

OMG... I got goose pimples when I read your post & also Cheri´s post, too over 15 years old boy...

I can image how shock you are after saw bear... I can image it must be terrible when I was in your shoe..
I hope you don´t mind me for ask you the question...
Is it affect your nightmare? I know it´s very hard to forget quickley after what you saw...

Back