Boy do I feel stupid

plasticdinosaur

Reaction score
I left the sink on in the bathroom today-

I got up, went to the bathroom, washed my hands, and made some coffee. Around that time, I got a text from my downstairs neighbor saying she thought I left something on. apparently I had forgotten to turn the sink off after washing my hands. Our bathroom sink doesn't drain very fast, so the water ran over the edge and all over the floor. I hadn't put my HAs in yet, so there was no way I could have heard it. not that I would have with them, but you never know. By the time I got the text, there was two inches of water in my bathroom- hot water, and the hallway carpet was wet around the door. Water had leaked down into her bathroom below me. I felt so dumb, and cried the whole time maintenance was asking me questions. And they were giving me looks like, "Oh poor stupid deaf girl left the sink on." Apparently, they had also been knocking on my door for a few minutes instead of simply ringing the doorbell which has a sign by it, so I didn't hear them at the door. They finally rang the bell and I was mopping up the water in the bathroom. I feel so awful. :(

Don't feel so stupid....it happens a lot, even to hearies if they are rushing around....it happened to me several times. Used to have a waterbed. And had just moved. The bedrooms were upstairs. It was around 9pm when I decided to go ahead and fill the waterbed up with the water hose...(as I could not find the waterbed kit) it would take over an hour (I thought), so I sat down on the couch to watch some TV....feel asleep.....

The next thing I know it was early AM...someone banging on the back door, my 2 dog at that time barking and jumping around on the sofa.....The water hose had ran all night, the waterbed mattress had gotten so full, it was ready to "pop"...the hose had slipped out....water was running from the ceiling (upstairs) to the downstairs....everything was FLOODED....

It cost me a lot of $$ to repair the damage!...I got rid of the waterbed. Lesson learned!...

That happens. It happened to my hearing daughter once and flooded her apartment and her neighbors. She fell asleep and didn't notice it.

Ha, ha, you're not alone. :P I've done that more times than I care to remember. :P

Uhg, I just felt downright sick to my stomach seeing all that water everywhere, and now my residence manager wants to 'have a word with me about my living accommodations.' I'm worried they're going to boot me back into the dorms where it's 'safer' for me.

Uhg, I just felt downright sick to my stomach seeing all that water everywhere, and now my residence manager wants to 'have a word with me about my living accommodations.' I'm worried they're going to boot me back into the dorms where it's 'safer' for me.

I hope they don't do that.

Don't feel bad. Do you know how many times I haven't been paying attention and put the milk in the pantry, the eggs in the cabinets, my keys and cell phone in the fridge. No lie. I've done it thousands of times. I've also put the gallon of milk on the stove and melted it. Being hearing or deaf doesn't make you any more susceptible to making mistakes. I do it all the time.

Hearing people flood their sinks all the time, too. I've done it...my kids have done it. It's important to invest in a good water vac. :)

Don't feel bad. Do you know how many times I haven't been paying attention and put the milk in the pantry, the eggs in the cabinets, my keys and cell phone in the fridge. No lie. I've done it thousands of times. I've also put the gallon of milk on the stove and melted it. Being hearing or deaf doesn't make you any more susceptible to making mistakes. I do it all the time.

I've done that too. :P I remember I made cornbread salad with mayo once and put it in my cabinet. I didnt' find out my mistake till about 4 hours later and I had to throw it out.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

My pants were so huge on me, they fell off during zumba :Oops: Lucky , I had the hip scarf on or else a free show haha

I do feel better now. And my down stairs neighbor was soooooo good about it. I hope they don't make me move back to the dorms, I like my apartment and my apartment mate. I dunno, I texted my mom after I did it and she got really pissy with me. She said, "You've been deaf all your life, you think you'd learn things by now." Uhg, but I guess like you all said anyone could do it, it's just that when I do it people- and I- assume it's because I can't hear, like being hearing would fix every little mistake I've ever made. Lol.

Oh please, mom with the "you've been deaf all your life" attitude. Tell her you've been human all your life too, and humans make mistakes.

My very favorite cookbook has a scorched pattern of circles on the cover. Why? Because I oh-so-cleverly turned the burner on while studiously looking at the recipe - not realizing that the burner I turned on was the one UNDER THE COOKBOOK!

Talk about being an idiot...

Worst case of temporary idiocy I've ever heard about: this one was written up by a woman who was a columnist for the Washington Post a while ago.

She pulled into the self-service gas station, took the nozzle out, put it into her car, activated the pump. Moved the little metal thingie to the "locked" position while she ran into the convenience store to buy a soda and chips.

While waiting to pay, she thought of everything she had to do that afternoon: pick up dry-cleaning, pick up kids, buy dogs' meds, etc. Lots of things. Lots of stress, lots of anxiety. Can it all be done before hubby gets home from work? Lost in thought...

Came back to car, got into car, drove off. Unfortunately, the nozzle was still in the car's gas tank, still discharging gas...

Guess what, pulling on a gas pump and spewing gas all over the road is NOT a good idea!

----------------

Edited to add: if you google "left gas nozzle in car," you will find it's not even that unusual!! :shock:

I once turn stove on, check if element hot by slamming hand on it. It hot.

I remember I slam on something door, school long time!

You are not alone. I have done it many times forgetting to turn off the water faucets over the years. I also did the same thing like Samantha did when she forget where she put in the wrong items in different cupboards or refrigerator. My hearing husband does the same sometimes too. So we are pretty much almost forgetful. Remember we are not robot just to be perfect for not forgetting to do what we were suppose to do. That is life. There is nothing you can do to change the clock back and not let that happen. It just happen and it is not your fault. I am sorry that it happen in your apartment. :hug:

How about investing a faucet that closes itself just like in some restrooms of department stores???

I've often wrote little "notes" to remind me to turn something off or on...so maybe a little note above ur sink might help....after awhile, it will seem like 2nd nature to you....sort of like an "automatic" thing.

Don't believe they (the apt. manager) will make you move....they can make you pay for any damages to the apartment, tho'. Hopefully, it won't be the case....Just apologize and let it go.

Back