Boundaries and rules.. Are they necessary?

Boundaries and rules.. Are they necessary?

• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deaf258

I just got home from going to court to watch a case between two of my friends, a dude and a chick. I admit I don't know all the details. But I am peeved and pissed that this is getting out of hand. They have been dating for a while last year, and started having problems. She ended up calling the police on him and filing reports and charges, accusing him of stalking her. I don't understand why she did that when she was stalking him, too! I saw her stalk him before. He went to court in early winter and was ordered to leave her alone which he did. But his former roommate, who is also the brother of the chick, encouraged those two to start talking and being friends again. The chick took this opportunity to try to manipulate the situation with her ex. So, this dude was on cloud 9 again. I tried warning him it is all just a game and should watch out. He yelled at me that I know nothing. I told him I do know, because I had experience of another woman stalking me for a while. Sure enough, she called the police on him as soon as the dude stopped seeing her. He was still stubborn and won't see her, then she threatened to kill herself unless he talks to her. I had another friend call in the suicide threat and the police went to investigate and put her on a citizen welfare check. When the chick confronted this other friend who reported her to the police, he admitted that he was the one who told on her. She smirked and tried to hide her smile. Damn!! It was just a game and that she only did this to get back at the dude! The dude just started dating this awesome gal. Then the chick got pissed and started harrassing the gal about the dude. It put a lot of strain and frustration in the gal's and dude's relationship. Is that fair? What is stalking when the victim becomes the stalker? With all the chick's and dude's legal problems going on, it drove the gal and a few local Deafies nuts. I happened to be one of those Deafies! The dude is one of my best friends and the chick is one of my good friends. Both were constantly telling me whose story is the right one. I told them I am not going to put up with their shit and that it is both of their faults they got into this mess! I based my decision on the proof of their actions, because action speaks stronger than words! A few more unrelated situations happened later and I finally got fed up with the Deaf community. I set some guidelines and boundaries with my friends. I made it known to them that they can either respect them or leave. I know I lost some friends, and some friendships got altered to a more distant relationships. Only the true friends stayed and the friendships got stronger. Did I do the right thing to tell other people with problems to fuck off? Is it the right thing to do to set those boundaries? I think I did a pretty good job of it and there are less problems around me lately!

hmm, i think you've already done
a good job especially with less problems :thumb:

I *root* for you, Deaf258. I think you had every right to put up those boundaries/barriers. Those who wanted to messed up or twist stories should get a life!

The case you told me about kinda reminds me of the situation I'm in right now. I'm dating a great, sweet guy right now... and his ex girlfriend has been somewhat harassing me, telling me stories about him wanting to get back together with her and calling my current relationship with him "just a fling." I finally blocked her screenname last night after she became obviously possessive of him. I told her "Well, can you be sensible enough to respect my relationship with ****, and his with mine? I mean he and I are together, and many of our friends and family know that"
She goes, "I feel like we're sharing him..." I said "Yes, I feel that way, and by the way you're not with him anymore..."
She goes "Oh well... not officially I guess."
That really ticked me off... but I was in my calmest manner, and made reasonable suggestions/comments while she was acting somewhat immature and whining "Oh he was my only love, and the guys I've tried dating since him are just jerks wanting me for my body"
I said, "Well dating is all a game, there will be some losers and somewhere out there are there plenty of wonderful guys"

I don't understand her at times. I know she is very much emotionally attached to him, but she does have problems like depression (she's on antidepressants she admits), ulcers (my god, she's only 19!), and other health and mental issues. All triggered by the downfalls of their past relationship. She assuses me of keeping him away from her -- I said "I'm sorry but I don't do that. I respect your friendship, and I always give the phone to him whenever you call, and I often encouraged him to let you come over whenever you wanted to." Ugh.

I'm not usually party to this kind of drama, but it really got on my nerves, and I'm just going to stand by my guy and stop listening to her -- I really think she is trying to scare me off or to get me to scare him off. So I'm just going to continue enjoying my time with him, and forget about her (even tho she comes around almost daily)

Whew, what a vent! Thanks for listening....

Deaf258 -- what u have done is a good thing to do -- sometimes it would lead to losing some friends (that wouldve shown to me that they were never really friends to begin with anyhow) and the ones that stuck by u thru the whole drama are the true ones -- u dont need their drama since its really between them 2 and the courts

:thumb: for putting ur foot down and making a stand Deaf258 -- itll give u more peace down the road

Deaf258, you did right thing. They should've not put you in that situation like that. I unfortunately went thru similiar situation as you were in but worse, it somehow becames to triangle love. That was first and last time for me to experience. One guy beats or be cruel to his gal and it led her to shared with me then guy shared his frustration about his ex with me (he kept the "beating" and cruelity out of his talks). I offered some advices and listened to what that gal said/expressed and it got her feel good about me/her then fell in love with me and vera. After that, atomic bomb dropped off on us. I learned a lesson and never will do that again ever.

Anyway glad that you made a right decision.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people just refuse to let go or are too easily love-sick. It disturbs me to see people falling in love so easily for a person who doesn't fall in love that easily. I've also seen people who would do anything such as beating themselves up just to make her boyfriend pity her and stay with her. I've seen where one will buy a new car/truck just because her boyfriend has the same car/truck. Some even follow their boyfriends/girlfriends to college. That's what sad these days. :crazy:

i vote said yes i dont know what they're talking about it!

Sara Boyce

Yes, it is a very good idea when one sets his own boundaries to save himself from troubles or any further drama. This is one of the reasons why I set one with one of my exes a long while ago.

deaf258 you did right thing and necessary for your sake. I would do samething if it happen to me.

Back