Boss threatened job due to hearing impairment

Part of the reason behind asking about accommodations is so that whatever is needed doesn't cause undue hardship to the company.

Ditto, if the job opening requires talking on the phone, well, that's not a good fit. It would be like hiring a blind person to be a truck driver. I'm all about equal rights and opportunity but there are reasonable limits. Like with my job as a software programmer, all I really need is a computer and internet. I can do communication either in person, IM or emails. And it's actually an advantage because I can concentrate easily in a noisy cube environment and with IMs/Emails there's little to no confusion and there's a history in case someone forgets.

If you haven't try to at least look at the situation from the viewpoint of the employer. Would you want to keep a person around if he/she keeps creating problems and causing you to lose money?

Same, I'm a graphic designer, so a computer, camera, an a network connection are all I need and already provided by work (granted, the camera I use is mine but that's only because mine is better than theirs! :) ) I don't mind using my personal camera for work. They do have monthly staff meetings but they let me out of those as finding interpreters is hard these days. I just read the meeting minutes. It suffices.

Back