Borders goes under

Times sure changes. It's Digital Time! :P lol

I it saves lot more trees by not cutting them for the hard/soft books and magazines, you know but digitalizes them into eBooks and PDFs instead.

Also it saves people's money to buy books via Amazon and/or any other online stores, anyway. Not only that but it saves your space and storage even.

Saves your time and gas by going online to buy them there instead.

Reading with a Kindle which is much more comfortable anywhere, anytime even in the dark or even in the sunshine as well. Easy to carry it along too.

So it should not be surprising as why many bookstores are closing nowadays due to those reasons.

digital books > hard/soft books

I practically live at B&N (spent 3 hours there today),,,,, Hate Borders. B&N has a much better selection and a better color scheme for a nice, relaxing sit and read.

Been there last year, nice layout for NYC, that is, and vibe's nice. Selection's good. What section would you be browsing in?

I go to the library to get a book to read, it for free and it save trees!
I know people are reading paper books less, but I like to them still!

I'm a known fixture at the library. :D
I'd spend more time in a library than a bookstore because I prefer to borrow and only will buy if I think a particular book or dvd is worth buying.

I have considered it several times myself. My reasons for not purchasing are the same as yours. I really like the feeling of a book in my hands, and also the existence of my stuffed to overflowing bookshelves. There is some kind of weird security in that for me.:P

I hear you. Mum wouldn't buy kindle if she had the money.

I love libraries and bookstores. I especially like used bookstores and local/alternative bookshops.
I remember as a kid when mom going to School Board meetings at the school system administration building, which had its own library. I would often go with my mom to this building so I could go to their huge library:lol:

Been there last year, nice layout for NYC, that is, and vibe's nice. Selection's good. What section would you be browsing in?

I read everything....lol.

I red tons of magazines and then just browse for books. I read alot of travel books and Biz books.....and cookbooks but don't tell anyone.

As much as I embrace technology as much as financially reasonable and possible - I still believe in a good quality hard back book. I too have overflowing bookshelves. My latest book purchase was "A Briefer History of Time" by Professor Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinlow. It is an updated version of the original science classic "A Brief History of Time" that was also written by Professor Stephen Hawking. I have both books, both are good reads that help me to think a bit more deeply. I'm not sure what my next purchase will be but I am sure it will be something to catch my eye.

As much as I embrace technology as much as financially reasonable and possible - I still believe in a good quality hard back book. I too have overflowing bookshelves. My latest book purchase was "A Briefer History of Time" by Professor Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinlow. It is an updated version of the original science classic "A Brief History of Time" that was also written by Professor Stephen Hawking. I have both books, both are good reads that help me to think a bit more deeply. I'm not sure what my next purchase will be but I am sure it will be something to catch my eye.

read "The Lazy Millionaire"

You don't need to think very deep but it will give you a profound view to your financial issue. very easy to read.

read "The Lazy Millionaire"

You don't need to think very deep but it will give you a profound view to your financial issue. very easy to read.

Once I finish my current book I will have a look into it.

Once I finish my current book I will have a look into it.

after reading it... if your interest in financial subject is piqued... get "Think Like A Champion". easy to read too.

It gives you an insight into successful businessman's mindset. This book doesn't teach you how to get rich but it shows you how to be a successful person by having a good principle and stick with it

I'm so disappointed that Borders closed I almost cried. They had one 10 minutes away from my house and I used to go there like four days of the week and spend hours in there. I knew every corner of that store and even helped out others even though I didn't work there. there were three in the island and only one will remain. Driving 30 minutes to go to Borders doesn't sound as fun as before, even more so when this one will be more hectic but I will try to see things from a positive PoV and hope they bring a new Bookstore to the island.

I read everything....lol.

I red tons of magazines and then just browse for books. I read alot of travel books and Biz books.....and cookbooks but don't tell anyone.

A bookworm? How nice.

Me tell anyone? You, mate, has just let everyone here know your little secret. :P

IMO, Americans in general need to spend more time in bookstores and libraries. It is really a shame that they are in financial trouble. For more than one reason.

Why? Now we have Kindle, Ipads and other tablets we can use to read. Borders went under because they failed to keep up with technolgy-they admitted to it. Technology is so much better because unlike with the paper side of reading, readers can adjust the font, the font size and back ground to their level of comfort. Buying or renting a book is as easy as clicking on it instead of driving to the library or book store. Digital copies can last forever, and think of all the trees we are saving :)

People are reading as much now as they have done in the past-just in a different format thats all.

I am gonna try getting a kindle for my moms birthday :)

Why? Now we have Kindle, Ipads and other tablets we can use to read. Borders went under because they failed to keep up with technolgy-they admitted to it. Technology is so much better because unlike with the paper side of reading, readers can adjust the font, the font size and back ground to their level of comfort. Buying or renting a book is as easy as clicking on it instead of driving to the library or book store. Digital copies can last forever, and think of all the trees we are saving :)

People are reading as much now as they have done in the past-just in a different format thats all.

I am gonna try getting a kindle for my moms birthday :)

I think Jillio's point was that going to bookstores and libraries is a good way for people to get out and interact. I think a good balance of both (libraries/bookstores and ebooks) is good.

However, I can agree with your point about saving trees but I love the feel of books when I read. Maybe that's selfish of me.

I have moved every year from 1999 to 2007 and in every place I have had, I must have a bookshelf. I have a small one in my house now but I am looking at CL for a bigger one. I just love love love a wall full of books. My cousin who lives here in MD has a whole wall that is a bookshelf. Looks so inviting.

I will be very upset if B&N ends up closed. That's where I get all my school books for my kids.

We have stopped buying books unless it's something special that I know will be read over and over (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and a few others). We go to the library once a week and between my son, mother and I we get 35-50 books a week. Daughter will go once every 3 weeks (that's the length of time for a check-out) and get 2-3 books. She hates reading, but does her best to keep up. She has had people at the library (not employees) tease her about getting books from the children's section. She has problems reading and only learned to read at age 9 and she's 16 now. She is required (by me, the teacher/mom) to read aloud for 15 minutes daily and she reads to the teddy bears. It helps to reinforce her speech and such. We also go over words that she stumbles over.

I think Jillio's point was that going to bookstores and libraries is a good way for people to get out and interact. I think a good balance of both (libraries/bookstores and ebooks) is good.

However, I can agree with your point about saving trees but I love the feel of books when I read. Maybe that's selfish of me.

Very true, I will also miss going there with my parents. We used spend hours browsing, reading and drinking coffee in the little cafe they have inside.

Hopefully the one we visit will stay open.

Never realized there are lots of bookworms on Alldeaf.

The e-mail I got said businesses was continuing as normal for now, did I skip something? They are Chapter 11.

Back