Borders goes under

Pinkerbelle

Reaction score
What are your thoughts!?

Australia looks to loose "Angus and Robertson" - one of the primary book stores in the country.

Personally, I don't know how I'm going to cope :run:. I live in a small town and really only have A&R to purchase books at (besides Kmart that really only sell the bubblegum stuff). Alot of my friends purchase books online or read via Kindle, but maybe it's just me, but I'm going to miss the "experience" of spending 45 minutes wandering the aisles, reading a few pages of 5 or 6 books and then the exciting feeling of finding one you cant put down.
(not to mention taking it home and finding the perfect place to proudly display it on the bookshelf)

you can't do that with Amazon.... and you certainly can't with Ebooks...

Am i just living in the past? lol

I am saving to get a Kindle. Amazon should be fine since the do all business on the internet.

I love ebooks because I can read everything in large print and not have to wear binocular glasses.

When I get a real Kindle, I will read in bed at night a lot.

I usually buy my books from Amazon. No doubt that internet sales cut into Border's profits. Barnes and Noble has a better selection and more customers than Borders did. Maybe Barnes and Noble will make it.

I want to get a kindle, too. Just waiting for the price to go down. Besides, I love the way a good book feels in my hands.

Damn. There's no Borders in Lynchburg and I liked that bookstore.

Overstock.com has books, too. Cheap shipping and good customer service. A more limited stock than Amazon, though.

IMO, Americans in general need to spend more time in bookstores and libraries. It is really a shame that they are in financial trouble. For more than one reason.

I usually buy my books from Amazon. No doubt that internet sales cut into Border's profits. Barnes and Noble has a better selection and more customers than Borders did. Maybe Barnes and Noble will make it.

I want to get a kindle, too. Just waiting for the price to go down. Besides, I love the way a good book feels in my hands.

I have considered it several times myself. My reasons for not purchasing are the same as yours. I really like the feeling of a book in my hands, and also the existence of my stuffed to overflowing bookshelves. There is some kind of weird security in that for me.:P

IMO, Americans in general need to spend more time in bookstores and libraries. It is really a shame that they are in financial trouble. For more than one reason.
Agreed 100%. Reading has enriched my life so much.

My ex husband would spend 3 or more hours at book store and I would go crazy! I go to the library to get a book to read, it for free and it save trees!
I know people are reading paper books less, but I like to them still!

Yea, I should go to the library more often with my son. I am bad about it.

I have considered it several times myself. My reasons for not purchasing are the same as yours. I really like the feeling of a book in my hands, and also the existence of my stuffed to overflowing bookshelves. There is some kind of weird security in that for me.:P

I must read a book in bed before sleeping and I dont know how reading from Kindle would give me the same feeling of being in the story and then falling asleep while reading.

I really like the feeling of a book in my hands, and also the existence of my stuffed to overflowing bookshelves. There is some kind of weird security in that for me.:P

ME TOOOOOO!!

I just love looking at my bookshelves. I feel a huge sense of pride in my collection. Is that weird?!

I am saving to get a Kindle. Amazon should be fine since the do all business on the internet.

I love ebooks because I can read everything in large print and not have to wear binocular glasses.

When I get a real Kindle, I will read in bed at night a lot.

Amazon isn't faring that well either. That's why it expanded its market. the price competition is very cutthroat.

I practically live at B&N (spent 3 hours there today),,,,, Hate Borders. B&N has a much better selection and a better color scheme for a nice, relaxing sit and read.

I read a report somewhere about smartphones and eye trouble.....I expect the same thing from these readers.....I will stick with paper.

I practically live at B&N (spent 3 hours there today),,,,, Hate Borders. B&N has a much better selection and a better color scheme for a nice, relaxing sit and read.

it makes a nice napping place too

it makes a nice napping place too

I haven't tried that but I bet it would. The special collections room of the TCU library was great for naps too. Really big soft leather chairs.....

Back