Books

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
Tell me what you think of the books- which would you recommend or not.......
Deaf books

These are books from that list I have read or have started to read and never finshed. Most of the ones I enjoyed the most were not on that list. My favorite was "A man with no words"

A Loss for Words

Deaf Like Me

Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language

Mother Father Deaf

Speak to Me!

Train Go Sorry

The Other Side of Silence

When the Phone Rings, My Bed Shakes

I have read:

Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard
Nora Ellen Groce
It's a good book.

Wow, what a long list! Haven't read any, I believe. Only few other deaf books which I have read but since forgot.
Some of the titles sound familiar.

There was one book that I read - and I can't remember the name of it to save my life. It's about a deaf young lady who plays ball...something like "High and to the Inside?" I don't know who the author is...but I still have it somewhere at my mother's house. I read parts of it...not sure if the title is even correct. :)

:::shrug::: I've got a new reading list, anyhow!

Tom Bertling

(1994)

110 pages; soft cover

"This book is sure to draw criticism and opposition from many leaders of the deaf community," states author Tom Bertling, a hard-of-hearing man who was placed in a residential school for the deaf at age 10 despite normal speech and academic progress in public schools. Based on his dismal experiences in the residential school which are detailed in this book, Bertling questions the value of deaf culture in its current form, especially as dictated by what he considers to be militant deaf culture advocates. Bertling sees the residential school as a repressive environment which "...excels at breeding a deaf culture, [but] seems to fail at preparing a deaf person to live in the mainstream hearing world." Bertling takes deaf culture head-on, even referring to it as more of a cult than a culture. In the process, he touches on numerous controversial subjects related to deaf culture such as political correctness, the divisive "Us" vs. "Them" attitude some deaf leaders express toward hearing people, cochlear implants, the acceptance of disability benefits by deaf people, and lowered achievement and expectations of residential students. While certain to spark debate and disagreement, this book provides an alternate view to the deaf culture experience as told by one who lived it.

We had been horrible heat debate other site for years. Oh god, I hate his perpsective toward Deaf Culture. I never like to read his book.

I strongly recommend you to read several good books.

http://www.forhearingpeopleonly.com/ Matthew Moore

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1581210094/103-8951006-8887833?v=glance

Author by Dr Harlan Lane

bbnt said:
These are books from that list I have read or have started to read and never finshed. Most of the ones I enjoyed the most were not on that list. My favorite was "A man with no words"

A Loss for Words

Deaf Like Me

Mother Father Deaf

Speak to Me!

Train Go Sorry

The Other Side of Silence

When the Phone Rings, My Bed Shakes

Hey, bbnt -- the book Deaf Like Me -- is it about a young girl called Lynn Spradley? I believe her father penned that book. Lynn attended the same school with me and I was in several classes with her. ;)

Back