Bond Conduction Hearing Aid (BoCoHa)

Fo'Shizzle

Reaction score
Has anybody heard of it?

One of my students has it. From my understanding, they are for people who dont have ears flaps (termnilogy word here?) and for people who are deaf due to abnormal ear bones. From what I know, with these kinds of hearing aids, their hearing becames near normal since their cochlea is perfectly fine. I could be wrong but that is my limited knowledge of these kinds of hearing aids.

I think it's mainly for conductive hearing losses with intact cochleas. so it will not work for sensory neural losses including my loss.

It's not BOND conduction; it is BONE conduction.

It's not BOND conduction; it is BONE conduction.

Don't tell me that, tell alex! Look at his forums that he just post about the Christmas hunting game. I just found it in there... This is new so thats why Im asking ya'll if you knew anything ABOUT it

Don't tell me that, tell alex! Look at his forums that he just post about the Christmas hunting game. I just found it in there... This is new so thats why Im asking ya'll if you knew anything ABOUT it

My, my, touchy, touchy; I never attributed the error to you personally, irregardless of your source. Fortunately, it now appears to be a typo. Don't be so quick on the trigger and you'll be happier.

Back to the topic; yes, I've heard of bone conduction. It is a hearing technology that is at least 50 years old.

During my research earlier, I ran across this term spelled as Bond Conduction.

Ageguard shows in big bold letters that it's spelled as Bond Conduction Hearing Aid (BoCoHa)

A few recognized websites have published titles including the term "bond conduction" relating to the ear and communication.

The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
Books : Bond conduction impairment in chronic ear disease: An article from: The Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology

Maybe both of them made a typo. Harvard also has an abstract reference to the Journal at Communication device using bond conduction

However, Wikipedia only calls it Bone Conduction. There is no "Bond Conduction" listed.

Is it a typo or not?

During my research earlier, I ran across this term spelled as Bond Conduction.

Ageguard shows in big bold letters that it's spelled as Bond Conduction Hearing Aid (BoCoHa)

A few recognized websites have published titles including the term "bond conduction" relating to the ear and communication.

The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
Books : Bond conduction impairment in chronic ear disease: An article from: The Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology

Maybe both of them made a typo. Harvard also has an abstract reference to the Journal at Communication device using bond conduction

However, Wikipedia only calls it Bone Conduction. There is no "Bond Conduction" listed.

Is it a typo or not?
no it is not typo...

although to public eyes, it bone conduction but to professionals, it is either bond or bone conduction.

do you mean a BAHA or the bone conductor aid with the headband, or the thingy that just came out?
Shel.......I have the type of loss where people ususally use bone conductors or baha.....that's good to know that some kids with it are in Deaf ed programs! yeah!

BAHA-Bone Anchored Hearing Aid is typically used for those with outer/middle ear disorders (Aural Atresia/microtia), ossicular malformations, or single sided deafness (Nerve loss in one ear).

The "D" and the "E" keys are next to each other.

And I seen the bone conduction types. In fact I advocated a client who had trouble clearing her bone conduction hearing aids through the airport screeners.

Richard

BAHA-Bone Anchored Hearing Aid is typically used for those with outer/middle ear disorders (Aural Atresia/microtia), ossicular malformations, or single sided deafness (Nerve loss in one ear).

SteveAuD,

Based on your AD nickname, it sounds like you are an audi with a doctorate in Audiology. It's good to see an audi on the list! I look forward to reading more of your contributions! :)

do you mean a BAHA or the bone conductor aid with the headband, or the thingy that just came out?
Shel.......I have the type of loss where people ususally use bone conductors or baha.....that's good to know that some kids with it are in Deaf ed programs! yeah!
no it is different BoCoHa is not same as BAHA get it? see the title of this topic. Royal is referring to the banner ad we see at the top of AD page. and the links provided by Thesus (first link in the post) is the one that banner ad will send you to when clicking it.

There are 3 types of bone conduction aids that can be used by those who have mixed/conductive hearing loss:

* BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid)
* Bone Conduction Hearing Aid (with Alice headband)
* BoCoHa

There are 3 types of bone conduction aids that can be used by those who have mixed/conductive hearing loss:

* BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid)
* Bone Conduction Hearing Aid (with Alice headband)
* BoCoHa
BoCoHa is short for Bone Conduction Hearing Aid :D

the banner ad showed newer model and doesn't need headband (Alice type) but looks like if it was a bluetooth earphone. So there are all kinds of BoCoHa model in term of wearing it.

So basically it is 2 :) As far as I know eh

BoCoHa is short for Bone Conduction Hearing Aid :D

the banner ad showed newer model and doesn't need headband (Alice type) but looks like if it was a bluetooth earphone. So there are all kinds of BoCoHa model in term of wearing it.

So basically it is 2 :) As far as I know eh

Yeah, when I went to Sunshine Cottage for a xmas play, I saw a kid with the headband kind...never saw that before. I thought it looked rather 1980s-era...but that's just me, cause it looked quite plain. Ah well, I know nothing about bone conduction hearing aids, anyway.

Boult,

Thanks for that information! I can't see pictures (I'm totally blind), so I had no idea the BoCoHa was different than a standard bone conduction hearing aid with Alice band. Interesting! :)

Yeah, when I went to Sunshine Cottage for a xmas play, I saw a kid with the headband kind...never saw that before. I thought it looked rather 1980s-era...but that's just me, cause it looked quite plain. Ah well, I know nothing about bone conduction hearing aids, anyway.
yeah that's "Alice" type eh.. I am sure you were tested for bone conduction in testing booth eh? when one says "Alice headband" that's girl's headband hehe.. anyway

the new one is not used in school though.. but for personal use. it looks like those you will see others who use mp3 players you know.. it has the band that go around back of the head not top.

Boult,

Thanks for that information! I can't see pictures (I'm totally blind), so I had no idea the BoCoHa was different than a standard bone conduction hearing aid with Alice band. Interesting! :)
no sweat, i knew you couldn't see that banner ad :)

yeah that's "Alice" type eh.. I am sure you were tested for bone conduction in testing booth eh? when one says "Alice headband" that's girl's headband hehe.. anyway

the new one is not used in school though.. but for personal use. it looks like those you will see others who use mp3 players you know.. it has the band that go around back of the head not top.

I don't recall being tested for bone conduction...but then again, they already knew what kind of loss I have anyway, I think. Yeah, I like how you refer to it as "Alice headband", it makes me think of Alice in the movie "Alice in Wonderland" and she wore a headband in the movie. :D

I have seen the newer types of bands alot people have for walkman CD players and ipods etc, they look nifty, probably a lot more comfortable too.

Back