Body language

FireTiger

Reaction score
Body Language question.

I am 'on spectrum' Somewhere between ADHD and Aspergers.

I don't have much 'natural' body language, that is I learned to mimic other body language.

I do have fear, and pain reactions- most (if not all) others are learned.

So I do not read body language well (as in automatically), I do not give body language well-

So to the people here that are great at reading body language, what would you think?

Would you think I am lying with my reactions? In some way I am- they are not the natural body language that everyone (else) automatically understands or gives.

Will this hinder me in communication?

I disagree that you're lying when you're making an attempt to use appropriate body language.

I just think you are doing your best to communicate and I appreciate the extra effort you are taking to do so. I'm sure it's not easy.

Thanks, I just keep seeing people here going "I just read the body language" and "You can't cheat the body language"

and I'm thinking... "so that's why nobody talks to me makes sense if they think I am false."

My ASL is poor, my PSE is... well I understand a lot, but hate to make mistakes. Takes a huge amount of time for me to do manual as I have to 'write' the word in my head then 'click' off the letters one at a time... *painfully slow to a deafie*

It's like I spend my life "pretending to be normal" (body language and social cues) instead of what I am.

my husband may be similar to you < though not formally diagnosed> and he has a terrible reading body language and and offering it.

I automatically read body language in humans and in dogs and it's part of what I do when I work with dogs. I tend to do well with subtle cues. Many times any body language I see prior to any actual interaction - either human or canine - affects my decision to interact, my approach and my own resulting body language.
But I think as Jazz wrote, an effort you make that is genuine will be appreciated by most people.

my husband may be similar to you < though not formally diagnosed> and he has a terrible reading body language and and offering it.

I automatically read body language in humans and in dogs and it's part of what I do when I work with dogs. I tend to do well with subtle cues. Many times any body language I see prior to any actual interaction - either human or canine - affects my decision to interact, my approach and my own resulting body language.
But I think as Jazz wrote, an effort you make that is genuine will be appreciated by most people.

:ty:
Awesome, that makes me more calm. Now I don't have to worry so much when I go to learn the signs correctly... (finding the local deaf clubs next)

:ty:
Awesome, that makes me more calm. Now I don't have to worry so much when I go to learn the signs correctly... (finding the local deaf clubs next)

I think you will be fine you really care about people and that will show when talking to someone.

Back