Bobby Knights 879th win

Casperman

Reaction score
I wonder what do yall think of Robert M. "General" Knight s record in NCAAS? i appuld to him. bec he done alot for college basketball itself espcially Indiana Hoosiers back in 70s-80s and he still hold a undeafted season 32-0 since 1976 and no body had that since that year.. here somones opinion and comparison between him and " The Dean" Smith of UNC

You can't say Bob Knight's name these days without using Dean Smith's in the same sentence.

They are tied together by history at the moment, because if Texas Tech beats Bucknell in Lubbock on Saturday (1:30 p.m., ESPN2) as expected, Knight will tie Smith's record of 879 career coaching victories.

Eventually, Knight will leave Smith behind. Texas Tech is less than halfway through this season, and Knight, who has five more years left on his contract, has offered no hints that this will be his final season. By the time he's done, Knight could approach 1,000 wins.

This week, though, Knight is linked with Smith, and their careers had several parallels:

Both played on a college team that won a national championship -- Smith at Kansas in 1952 and Knight at Ohio State in 1960 -- and both came off the bench to play in the title game but neither scored.

Both began their college coaching careers at military schools, Knight at Army and Smith at Air Force.

Both coached the United States to Olympic gold medals, Smith in 1976, Knight in 1984.

Both got to break the record at age 66, Smith in 1997, and Knight could also do it in a Dec. 28 game against UNLV.

Both were innovators, with Smith giving us the four-corners offense and Knight popularizing the motion offense that is so common today.

Which coach produced the best team?

Knight has won three national titles, and his best team was the 1976 champion. Smith won two national titles, and his top team was the 1982 champ.

Some consider Knight's 1976 team the best college team ever, although a few of the UCLA teams of the 1960s and '70s would challenge that assertion. But there is no questioning that the 1976 Hoosiers were the last national champions to go through the season undefeated. And they did it with four starters back from their 1975 team that went unbeaten through the regular season and lost to Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament partly because Scott May was out with a broken arm. Three of the '76 starters, May, Quinn Buckner and Bobby Wilkerson, were among the top 11 overall picks in the 1976 NBA draft, and a fourth starter, Kent Benson, was the No. 1 pick in the 1977 draft.

Smith's 1982 squad lost only two games and featured James Worthy, Sam Perkins and Michael Jordan, all of whom were among the top four picks in the NBA draft, with Jordan and Worthy being among the best NBA players ever.

Despite the star power of Smith's 1982 team, we'll take the 1976 Hoosiers, a senior-laden team that dominated the 1976 NCAA Tournament and whose fifth starter, Tom Abernathy, played five seasons in the NBA. The '82 Tar Heels lost by 16 to Virginia and squeaked by several teams in the NCAA Tournament. Jordan was a freshman, and the two other starters, Jimmy Black and Matt Doherty, were solid, but not spectacular.

Congrats on his 879th winning game, but I think he shouldnt be coach for Texas Tech cuz he still little lost his temper and he did 'on purpose' hit on one player's chin...

Way to Go, General Knight! I think that he can win 40 or more before retiring. He will break Smith's record as the all-time winningest coach. Smith sure was another legend and liked him, too, and produced more pro players.

I was a long-time I.U. fan and have met him in person 3 times while once at a game halftime with a friend. I liked the '92-'93 team the best... that team should have won all the way in the NCAA. Also liked the '81 and '87. I was rather bit too young for the '76 team.

Yes, that '76 team is still the undefeated team in the NCAA... whoa, it's 30 years by now already.

It was too bad that Knight lost his temper last time out before coaching for the Texas Tech. I.U. isn't any good anymore since then. Sad but hope one day they return back... although I don't like the I.U. new coach.

Many pro-bound players didn't want to play for Knight. Only a few did. That's so incredible on Knight's part that he mostly coached blue collar players in his coach career yet about to surpass Smith's record. Say if his temper didn't show than he did, he could win 100+ more, easily. Think about it.

Congrats, Knight!

Also many of Knights players graduated or completed college in later years also other story.. when his star center Landon Turner had bad wreck back in 1981 and know who started a trust fund to help Landon Turner out while he was recovering and became parylazed? COACH KNIGHT....he is very humble man but i know he has temper..he really helped so many players as other chatter said.. serval of his players are either head coach or assitant coaches and EVEN MIKE K from Duke played for him at Army..his stats dont lie

Back