Blood/plasma donation discrimination!!!

I boycott the Red Cross for that specific reason. My blood type is O-, meaning that I can donate to anybody (except the Bombay blood type) in the world, and if they don't want the blood of gay men, be they free of infection or not, then I don't want to give them my "universal donor" blood either.

my dad is a o- too and have donated his blood before. He told me it is 0- is highly desirable.

I do not understand the questions asked of donors prior to donating their blood. The government requires that all donated blood to be tested prior to being distributed. The purpose of the test is to prevent tainted or diseased blood from being passed around. So what is the purpose of such “screenings” of potential donors in the first place? Some donors will lie about their “red-flagged activities” or are not aware that they are infected.
:hmm:

I do not understand the questions asked of donors prior to donating their blood. The government requires that all donated blood to be tested prior to being distributed. The purpose of the test is to prevent tainted or diseased blood from being passed around. So what is the purpose of such “screenings” of potential donors in the first place? Some donors will lie about their “red-flagged activities” or are not aware that they are infected.
:hmm:

Of course people lie, but they are hoping it will deter high risk people.

Tests can be false negatives, especially if you were recently infected.

eah they are! Anyone who has traded sex for money or drugs is not allowed to donate.
I wonder if part of the prohibition is due to stereotypical ideas of a gay male.
There is the stereotype of a hard partying gay male who regularly goes to bathhouses, and does meth.
But there are also many males who are in stable loving typical realtionships, just like your typical Middle American couple in every which way but gender.

Back