Blood Donation Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmvashaw

Reaction score
Would you like to give the gift of life, but aren't sure what you can do? Donate blood.

With blood donation companies they are unable to allow people to donate unless someone on staff knows the person's language of choice. This means Spanish, English, Japanese, ASL, et cetera. This is because the information must be able to be passed to the person donating effectively. With this rule it makes it difficult for people in the Deaf community to donate.

I work for a blood donation company in Southern California. I am a Sign Language Interpreter. I am going to be making my work schedule available so that people of the Deaf community can have the chance to donate while ensuring that they have all of the information needed.

Each donation can save up to three lives. Also, everyone who donates will receive a gift at the end of the donation. (This will be determined the day of the drive). If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at BloodDonationTerp@gmail.com

Last edited:
They allow deaf people in Florida to donate blood.

Did it a few days ago. They just had me fill out a paper as usual and put a sticker with my ID number on my Card that they gave me and had me hold it in my lap so they can confirm that the ID number on the bag matches the one on my the card that I am holding. You have to keep that card visible the whole time of the procedure.

:shrug: Unless it is different in other states.

Claity...

It is for the medical history questions. So if they need to ask any questions they cannot write them down because of confidentiality laws.

It is for the medical history questions. So if they need to ask any questions they cannot write them down because of confidentiality laws.

I had to answer a medical history on paper. One of those fill in the bubbles type...

They took my BP and my temp...

and away I went.

I was in the chair.

Anything that is said in ASL, Spoken or written is all confidential regardless.

So?? You are saying if a person writes it down it is not confidential? Many doctors office or blood banks request a written document to be filled out by the donar themselves for their record. It is all confidential.

no, what I am saying is that they are not allowed to write questions down on a piece of paper because the paper could get lost and that could go against the persons privacy rights. The questions are asked on a specific form that would be filled out by the person, but if clarity is needed the phlebotomist needs to ask. Those are the rules of this company as regulated by the FDA. Other companies may do it differently, but they could be cited by the FDA if they do not use the standard operating procedures as stated by the FDA, which would include having an interpreter if the person going over the information does not speak the language themselves.

no, what I am saying is that they are not allowed to write questions down on a piece of paper because the paper could get lost and that could go against the persons privacy rights. The questions are asked on a specific form that would be filled out by the person, but if clarity is needed the phlebotomist needs to ask. Those are the rules of this company as regulated by the FDA. Other companies may do it differently, but they could be cited by the FDA if they do not use the standard operating procedures as stated by the FDA, which would include having an interpreter if the person going over the information does not speak the language themselves.

That only applies to the ones that requests an interpreter.

It perhaps will make things easier for the deaf. I do understand that. But it does not stop them from donating blood. That is what I am trying to clarify.

At this company they are literally not allowed to take blood from a Deaf person if there is not a interpreter. They can get serious fines if they do and the regulatory groups (FDA, AABB, et cetera) find out.

At this company they are literally not allowed to take blood from a Deaf person if there is not a interpreter. They can get serious fines if they do and the regulatory groups (FDA, AABB, et cetera) find out.

Can you provide some links supporting what you are saying??

because as an interpreter... One would think you would bring up the ADA law before any other laws.

etc.. etc...

No, I work for the company and was talking to the General Manager about it. It was mentioned in our standard operating procedures, but it was in reference to all languages. I asked in regards to ASL, since this is what I know, and they said it is the same case. I also brought up the writing down of questions in order to communicate and was informed that is a big no-no with the regulatory committees.

Check in the ADA laws. and the HIPPA laws. And do feel free to browse around this site to ask more questions.

But I am almost certain that not allowing someone to donate blood due to deafness is discriminating....Regardless of having a Terp or not.

Do not get me wrong.. I think it is great that you are available to interpret for the ones that may show up.

Not all Mobile blood banks have interpreters... So What my point is. If a deaf person walks up to one to donate blood. It would be discriminating not to allow them to do so without an interpreter if they do not request one.

I found a FDA page that says they can donate without an interpreter, but if there are questions that could make it so the person cannot donate (i.e. a new tattoo, possible diseases, taking medications, et cetera) must be conversed through an interpreter.

The questionnaires ask relatively vague questions such as "In the past 12 months have you come in contact with another person's blood?" If the person says yes to this there is the chance that they will not be able to donate, but there is also the chance they will able to. This would require clarifying the information. An example is that for that questions I have to personally mark yes, but I wear gloves and other protective equipment. With that clarification I am still able to donate, but if someone put pressure on someones wound without gloves they may not be able to donate for 12 months.

So, the only thing I can deduct is that this company plays is safe since they do not want to be held liable for any problems that may occur by not being able to communicate easily. (Such as "I am feeling tingling in my hand" during the blood draw... which would be important because it means the needle is misplaced can can cause permanent nerve damage.)

Here is the site I mentioned: Exceptions and Alternative Procedures Approved Under 21 CFR 640.120

I found a FDA page that says they can donate without an interpreter, but if there are questions that could make it so the person cannot donate (i.e. a new tattoo, possible diseases, taking medications, et cetera) must be conversed through an interpreter.

The questionnaires ask relatively vague questions such as "In the past 12 months have you come in contact with another person's blood?" If the person says yes to this there is the chance that they will not be able to donate, but there is also the chance they will able to. This would require clarifying the information. An example is that for that questions I have to personally mark yes, but I wear gloves and other protective equipment. With that clarification I am still able to donate, but if someone put pressure on someones wound without gloves they may not be able to donate for 12 months.

So, the only thing I can deduct is that this company plays is safe since they do not want to be held liable for any problems that may occur by not being able to communicate easily. (Such as "I am feeling tingling in my hand" during the blood draw... which would be important because it means the needle is misplaced can can cause permanent nerve damage.)

Here is the site I mentioned: Exceptions and Alternative Procedures Approved Under 21 CFR 640.120

I have a tattoo.

The questions in regards of having anything as such personal questions.

with or without a terp.

That is what the questionnaire is about... That is the screening itself. On paper. It is in writing...

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Confidentiality ethics and priviledged information laws cover written histories and all medical records. Additionally, if a terp is being used, they are subject to confidentiality ethical standards, as well.

Again, incorrect. If this company requires, as a part of their own standards of operation, that Deaf use an interpreter in order to access their services, then they are legally responsibile under the ADA for having an interpreter on staff to fulfill those requirements. They cannot, under any circumstances, refuse a deaf client simply because that client is deaf. It is blatant discrimination, and a violation of federal law under the ADA.

They are in danger of not just being sued for discrimination, but for being shut down completely if they are actually instituting such a policy. The regulatory bodies you referenced do not cover discrimination and ADA compliance.

What they are doing is not "playing it safe." What they are doing is discrimination based on disability, and they are in violation of federal law. In fact, I will be doing a search for the name of this company and alerting the DOJ of these discriminatory practices.

I have a tattoo.

with or without a terp.

That is what the questionnaire is about... That is the screening itself. On paper. It is in writing...

You are absolutely correct. Any ethical company uses written histories. It is the only way to insure proper and correct information between professionals, and to keep a record of treatment.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Confidentiality ethics and priviledged information laws cover written histories and all medical records. Additionally, if a terp is being used, they are subject to confidentiality ethical standards, as well.

It is not a written history or a medical record if it is on a non-regulated form. (i.e. a blank page or the back of another form)

Additionally, that is why the terp must be working for the company.

I have a tattoo.

with or without a terp.

You cannot donate if your tattoo is less than 12 months old.

What they are doing is not "playing it safe." What they are doing is discrimination based on disability, and they are in violation of federal law. In fact, I will be doing a search for the name of this company and alerting the DOJ of these discriminatory practices.

It isn't discrimination if it applies to everyone. It does not specifically say "Deaf people cannot donate" It says that if someone speaks another language and is not able to communicate directly with the employee they have to have a interpreter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back