Blackberry - should I get one or not??

goldpony

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry phone. Not sure which one though. I like to get an Iphone but it's not hearing aid compatible unless they came up with a software or something. Can you use the webcaptel on your blackberry and can still talking on it at the same time? Are there other kind of phone that work better then Blackberry or Iphone?? I would like to know from other people's advice and opinion...

Why not get the Droid or Android...

Blackberry is just more for strict friendly... nothing just browser, email and ip relay software... that pretty much it.

All depends what your requirements are - if you are a heavy texter, you should get a phone with a good QWERTY keypad. If you text and like to talk as well, then you need to find something that goes well with your hearing device. Everyone has different experiences so if you have a particular phone in mind, go to a local store and try it out. Or better, get it home for atleast a few days and tried it out in all situations.

I am a CI recipient and owned a BB Curve for two years - it was good for as long as it lasted, but the sound quality was average as I had a GSM carrier. Not sure if the carrier is an important factor or not, but I recently bough a new BB Bold 9700 and it is pretty good so far to talk and text. The Bold is much more clearer than the Curve though. Unfortunately, dont expect your telecoil feature to give you the best quality - if you want to maximize your telecoil, choose a CDMA carrier like Verizon or Sprint.

And as for Webcaptel is concerned - you can use it on GSM phones only to talk and read captions at the same time. Iphone and the new Blackberries with good browsers are capable of doing this. I know the iphone is not HA compatible, and thats my reason for turning it down. But you can still use the Iphone with the help of accessories like neckloops - only if you are comfortable using it.

Some of the Sprint Android Phones (Samsung Moment, Hero) are actually good too, and they are really clear to listen over the phone. But I really doubt you can use Web Captel on that to read captions and talk at the same time.

Thank you for the tip. I doubt we'll switch from AT&T to Sprint. I lived out in the country and AT&T is the only cell phone service that work out here. I've tried Sprint and I was very unhappy with the services. I'll keep the Blackberry and Iphone in mind. When you stated GSM and CDMA, what does that exactly mean??

Oh then in that case, stick to AT&T for good. Choose a good reliable phone that you can hear well with. I would say, for me the BB Bold 9700 works better than the Iphone without any neckloop accessories. Its not the best in the market because it is still GSM, but bottom line is that it works!! If you want an Iphone, go for it, and maybe a neckloop would help further.

GSM carriers are more advanced, digital and they work on a different technology than CDMA. CDMA is more of an analog technology I believe, and that is what makes it better to hear with hearing devices. CDMA has its drawbacks too - there is no Sim Card in CDMA phones so if you travel abroad, you cannot change SIMs. Also if you want to use Webcaptel, it wont work on CDMA devices. I am not sure how good the data speeds are on CDMA; I have never owned one.

blackberry have same brand phone at AT&T,Sprint and Verizon if you are customer

ATT blueberry prices between is:$9.99 thru $199.99
Sprint blueberry prices between is:$29.99 thru $99.99
Verizon blueberry prices between is:$29.99 thru $99.99

if you afford for that cell phone

Back