Blackberry Interference - Is it me only ???

hugoboss84

Reaction score
I am up for an upgrade since my BB Curve of 2 years died out, and I went to try some new phones. I have a CI, and I want something that I can use to talk with people and make best use of my CI. So I tried the BB Bold 9700 (yes, the new one from AT&T) and it sounded so damn clear on H-T mode and my CI Telecoil mode. So I bought it, hoping to try for a few more days at home. Unbelievable, but quite true - when the phone is in the 3G network range, it is very clear for telecoils. But when it is EDGE/GPRS/2G, it ends up producing heavy static buzzing. I know 3G should have nothing to do with the sound quality but more of the data speeds, but how is it that my telecoil works so well with 3G and not with EDGE ???

Am I the only one facing this?? Can someone please advise because I am really bad at choosing the right phones. Ofcourse, my other CI programs work great irrespective of EDGE/3G, but I want to try to use the telecoil feature as it might help me hear better and eliminate background noise. My old Curve never worked on telecoils anyway even though the rating was M3/T3.

My other option is to switch to the Iphone 3GS but firstly, it never works with telecoils, secondly it is good on other CI programs (microphones) but even at the highest volume, it is still faint and not loud enough and thirdly, getting a neckloop accessory might make more sense, but I dont have Bilateral CIs just yet.

So can anyone suggest something ??? I am looking for a smartphone as I am a heavy texter (texts and emails) and I want to improve my listening ability with CI over the phone as well.

Thanks!!!

Please see the pre-existing thread, "Great smartphones for hard of hearing people" at:
http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/75941-great-smartphones-hard-hearing-people.html

Rather than having different threads talking about the same thing, you might want to bring up your concerns on that thread. I talked about the iPhone at length there, and answered other questions about phones working with telecoils even if they don't have a T rating.

As for interference, however, yes, you can get more interference depending on what kind of service you're using. The services used by AT&T and T-Mobile (GSM or TDMA) tend to generate more interference with hearing aids/CI processors and telecoils than the services used by Sprint and Verizon (CDMA). If you're still within your 15 day trial period, you might be able to get all of your money back. (The need to try out phones in different places is one reason why you need a 15 day trial period.)

If you have an older CI processor, it might not be as immune from radio frequency interference as the newer ones tend to be, so you'll need a phone with a M4 and/or T4 rating.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't see your post. I just read it up, and it was definitely very informative.

Back