Black Lowe's driver says he was kept from making delivery

rockin'robin

Reaction score
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - A black delivery driver for Lowe's says he was told he could not make a delivery because of his race.

The home improvement chain has since responded, and now a Lowe’s store manager is out of a job.

Marcus Bradley says last Monday was an ordinary day on the job as a delivery driver for Lowe's.

"Then I got a phone call on the phone telling me to bring the delivery back, saying that I couldn't do the delivery," he said.

He says what he was told next shocked him.

"I asked him why I couldn't do it and he said because you're black and they don't want you at the house," Bradley says.

Bradley says he was told the customer specifically asked Lowe's not to send a black delivery person.

Alex Brooks says he has worked with Bradley for nearly 11 years and that he was with him in the truck when the call came in.

"To me, it just ain't right for a business that we work at to go on with the woman's wishes," Brooks says.

Brooks says that is exactly what happened and that, when the two returned to the store, Bradley was replaced by a white driver.

At the home where the two delivery drivers tried to make the delivery, a woman responded to a reporter’s questions, saying, "I got a right to have whatever I want and that's it."

Bradley, the delivery driver, said, "I mean, I thought that Lowe's would take up
up for me."

Bradley says he was saddened by the way the situation was handled but plans to continue working at Lowe’s.

“I mean, I gotta work,” he says. “I'm going to keep going to work like I've always done. But I would think Lowe's would take it into consideration to think about what they're doing next time."

On Wednesday afternoon, the local Lowe's store confirmed that a store manager involved in the incident has been replaced.

In a statement, Lowe's corporate office said: "Under no circumstances should a discriminatory delivery request be honored as it is inconsistent with our diversity and inclusion core values and the request should have been refused. The investigation has concluded and the individuals involved are no longer with company."

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/29...elivery?clienttype=generic?clienttype=generic

No big deal. Heavy handed to fire the maneger. It wasnt his rwcism that caused it. A customer had the issue...the maneger should of handked it better. But it wasnt oit of malice on his part.

It wasn't the store that had the problem, it was the racist who owned the house who needed the product delivered who has the problem.
If I had been the store manager, I would of ignored the request or simply told the homeowner if they didn't like the driver, they would have to make their own arrangements to pick the item up. I hope that someday this person has a medical emergency and a black paramedic comes to their aid; it will be interesting to see if they will accept the aid or chose death instead.

It wasn't the store that had the problem, it was the racist who owned the house who needed the product delivered who has the problem.
If I had been the store manager, I would of ignored the request or simply told the homeowner if they didn't like the driver, they would have to make their own arrangements to pick the item up. I hope that someday this person has a medical emergency and a black paramedic comes to their aid; it will be interesting to see if they will accept the aid or chose death instead.

Thats not really how it works..with racists...they will use blacks oe who ever towards a certain end...i doubt any woukd choose death. Ive known nazi with jew girlfriends...
Really
In the inportant things...its not so black and white....
But regardless.. firing the manger was a ****ty move

We've heard the saying..."The Customer is Always Right"....but in this case?....:hmm:....The customer said she had the "right" to say what she did...:hmm:...no other explanation given....

Even if she did have a bad experience with a black delivery driver (which I did years ago delivering a washer & dryer)...doesn't mean this driver at Lowe's is the same way....

If she felt this way, she should have said something to the manager before the delivery was made AT THE STORE....and if all Lowe's had was a black delivery driver, then the manager should have told her she would have to pick it up herself.

Then again, feel the manager didn't actually "know" how to handle the situation...perhaps he should have called the Corporate Office for advise...:hmm:...and to save his job....

Wow, the manager sure handled this situation poorly. He should've taken a step back and evaluated it before making his next move. He behaved wayyy too rashly, bending over backwards to please the customer without regards of consequences to the employee involved and possible repercussions to the store. If he had thought this through, he would've found a solution and in this case the solution would be having the customer pick it up herself.

As for firing him? It does seem harsh. Perhaps he has other incidences of poor decisions? I don't know.

I would have told the customer to keep calling around. Why would I want to sell her a washer? I'm sure someone else would buy a washer from me.

Back