Black crow birds!! :( :(

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesterday...

I couldn't believe what crow birds did to my friend's baby chickens! I talked with my pal at her driveway. She was startling panic and dart to the backyard also I was following her. I saw few of crows were picking few of her small free range chicks and took off! :eek3: All the rest was hiding to shed and completely traumatized. I was real dumbfounding! :shock:

Tell your friend to get big lifelike owl figurines. Something plastic or resin thats painted and really looks like an owl. Crows hate owls. We used to have some of those around the garden to keep them away and it works. Sometimes the crows will attack them too. That or take some TALL posts and put at the corners of where the chicks roam and run webbing between them so it makes an X shape. That interferes with the birds trying to fly in.

Here on Manitoulin Island, we have lots and lots of crows everywhere on this island. No, I have never see crows pick up or attack the baby chicks. Very interesting that the crows would do that. Maybe that is the way nature is. I think the crows must be hungry.

How about Blue Jays who eat chicks from eggs in their nest? This is very common. Crows are pretty much like a scavengers when it comes to food or find things like bracelets or watches or pins so that they can store them in their nests. They like pretty things. :cool2:

I am so sorry. I remember when I was 6 years old and went to my neighbor they had cute little chicks. U know what they did, they chopped baby chick's head front of me. I got soooo upset and went home. Had nightmare for awhile. We have ravens, they are no better than crows. Yeah found eggs in our backyard many time but what was worst is the owl. Owl dropped cat's leg one time and little dog's leg too. gross me out. oh well.

I am so sorry. I remember when I was 6 years old and went to my neighbor they had cute little chicks. U know what they did, they chopped baby chick's head front of me. I got soooo upset and went home. Had nightmare for awhile. We have ravens, they are no better than crows. Yeah found eggs in our backyard many time but what was worst is the owl. Owl dropped cat's leg one time and little dog's leg too. gross me out. oh well.

I thought raven and crow are same thing? :dunno: I dunno a dang thing about bird. Just pigeons cuz we have a lot of them and they shit a lot :mad2:

I thought raven and crow are same thing? :dunno: I dunno a dang thing about bird. Just pigeons cuz we have a lot of them and they shit a lot :mad2:
Crow is smaller compare to raven. We have alot ravens and few crows.

Why are you so shocked? Crows eat small birds all the time and they eat roadkill. I see crows going after baby bird all the time and and the parents bird attack the crow in mid air. I saw a bird being attack in midair and the bird fall right to ground in front of me. I was going to try and help the bird but it was dead. Some people out huge fake snakes out to keep birds away.
I think you have to move the fake owls around so the birds will get use to them .

Tell your friend to get big lifelike owl figurines. Something plastic or resin thats painted and really looks like an owl. Crows hate owls. We used to have some of those around the garden to keep them away and it works. Sometimes the crows will attack them too. That or take some TALL posts and put at the corners of where the chicks roam and run webbing between them so it makes an X shape. That interferes with the birds trying to fly in.

I just text ed her about this.. She will be going to livestock store and check it out! Now she keeps all small chicks locked in shed and let adult hens and roosters to range free with the large fence in! She is a beginner and set up chicken coop only three months ago!

Oh I think it's ravens because I see >> large black birds!:eek3:

That is exactly correct what Jazzy mentioned about the sizes between the crows and the ravens. Here on the island we have small black birds so they are crows while ravens are big birds almost large. That is why I said there were lots of crows on the island. Northwest Coast always have Ravens while out here not so. Sometimes I noticed few big birds related to the crows and they might be ravens. But that is rare out in the East. :cool2:

That sucks. I can't stand ravens. They used to attack my cats all the time. Sometimes, they had to stay under the car when a raven showed up.

Back