Birthday Party

So.. if a bunch of people in a wheel chair pays for a private party. They would not have the access as a walkie would? Even though public places requires it. Under the ADA law. So a private party, at a public place should allow the same access for the deafies that requests it. **at a public place** I can see if it was a private party at home or a private club. but any place with public access, are required under the ADA law. Such as Doctors offices, hospitals. They are open to the public. but have private appointments. I feel they fall under the same category.

Well, doctors offices offer services to the public. And the majority do not have a full time permanent terp. However, they do have full time, permanent wheel chair ramps. You are also into the number of employees here. A doctor's office with fewer than 15 employees is exempt from following the ADA.

And now you are talking about construction accommodation, which is something that is permanent. Since a building is required to be wheelchair accessable, when the accommodations are made they are permanent. That means they will be there for someone entering the building no matter what their purpose is. They don't have to be provided separately.

When you talk about a terp, it is not a construction issue. Most places don't keep terps permanently on staff the way a wheelchair ramp is built into the design of a building. And they don't necessarily have to provide a terp...the law says "reasonable accommodation". That means that they could provide a print brochure describing the tour. Like I said, you can request a terp, but reasonable accommodation is all that is required by law. The place can also provide a terp and add the fee into the fee charged for providing the area or additional services for a private party.

zoos are places of public accommodation. regardless of whether they are the recipient of federal financial assistance. see ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and DisabilityInfo.gov: Disability related information and resources from the Federal Government
many zoos have deaf awareness day, like the Baltimore aquarium. Saturday May 30 at King's Dominion, they will have a Deaf awareness day, with most shows interrpeted.
faire-jous, ask if your local zoo can set up a day for deaf people to come. The zookeepers can give a tour, but the terps cannot interprete the animals' sounds.....

Down here in Australia, not unless someone else corrects me, but I am not 100% sure, but believed it is. It is the law, that deaf people NEVER to pick up the tab for interpreters here. They are government funded, but if it is a business or whatnot, their responisble to cover it, no matter what.

Back