Birth Control Shot

AestasCaelum

Reaction score
How many of you women are on the shot? And do you get your periods?
I just got the shot last week and should have gotten my period this weekend, but still havnt. I heard that's a side effect but I wanna know if anyone else expericnces it.

Umm...well I am not the one who had birth control shot (but I am on birth control pills) I heard that if you get shot every three months then you are not suppose to have period until it is time for another shot. I don't know if its true, but that is what I heard.

i has BC shot before.. my dr told me, when i started pms then go dr and gave me shot cuz of they can keep pms straight every months.. but i was 20 yrs old, i quitted bc shot

If youre talking about the Depo shot, it's not a very good idea because people who are on it 5+ years then go off it can develop early menopause

Right...my friend was on it for 10 years and her new OB doctor told her to QUIT it and hasn't got period since she stopped Depo 2 years ago. Finally she got her 1st period recently...boy she told me it was HUGE mess! She learn her lesson! Never again! She warned anyone who is on it and not to use it. So it is not worth it. If you want to be on Depo...it is best for short term not long term. It don't agree on me! Fine by me!

DeafBiker4JC said:
If youre talking about the Depo shot, it's not a very good idea because people who are on it 5+ years then go off it can develop early menopause

Never done w/ shot even i don't want it either. I been on birth control pills for only 1 month from doctor ordered. But I had birth control patches for almost 2 years, i love it.

Curious about that BC patches...

do you get period monthly? I dont cycle regularly. And am wondering about that before I decide to put it on after I have 2nd baby someday. I like the idea change the patch weekly. :)

SherryCherish said:
Never done w/ shot even i don't want it either. I been on birth control pills for only 1 month from doctor ordered. But I had birth control patches for almost 2 years, i love it.

yes regularly period. Only have to put a patch a week then renew patch for another week (3 weeks) then 4th weeks no patch, that when ur period to come. over and over. Pretty easy.

Mama2AFTIV said:
Right...my friend was on it for 10 years and her new OB doctor told her to QUIT it and hasn't got period since she stopped Depo 2 years ago. Finally she got her 1st period recently...boy she told me it was HUGE mess! She learn her lesson! Never again! She warned anyone who is on it and not to use it. So it is not worth it. If you want to be on Depo...it is best for short term not long term. It don't agree on me! Fine by me!
thats correct... my dr told me this yr, and asked me qq did i has bc shot before?? i say yea it was in 1996 and he say that why caused my pms messed up.. cuz of bc shot.. now i still has plms pms , called Menses.. ugh! since one yr and half...

I've been told youre only allowed 2 years now.
I also have a friend who was on it for 5yrs and her only complaint was weight gain. lol

AestasCaelum said:
I've been told youre only allowed 2 years now.
I also have a friend who was on it for 5yrs and her only complaint was weight gain. lol

yea i was told you are only allowed up to 2 years now...

i was on it for 10 years too and gained a lot of weight too during that 10 yr period :squint: ... about 100 lbs or so on the top of the stress, :ugh: etc... i know it is awful :ugh: but that's what happened... and also the other side effect was the inflammation of my hips... it was no fun at all... but the ADVANTAGE was NOT HAVING MY PERIOD FOR 10 YEARS WHICH WAS A BLISS!!! :D

Mama2AFTIV said:
Curious about that BC patches...

do you get period monthly? I dont cycle regularly. And am wondering about that before I decide to put it on after I have 2nd baby someday. I like the idea change the patch weekly. :)

For the BC Patch you need to be 150 pounds or less, Im 225 and the doctor said I had to be 150 or less for it to work.

DeafBiker4JC said:
For the BC Patch you need to be 150 pounds or less, Im 225 and the doctor said I had to be 150 or less for it to work.

I didn't know that...thats first time I have heard that.

But I wonder what about the pills? Any limit for the weight?

Huh? never heard that before.. about weigh, I did recheck about weigh, it didn't say nothing about weigh, only after 35 age it can be risk and smokers too. Mmm' maybe doctor just don't want u have it for some reason. That time after preggy, i was weigh 168, i did took patch, even during patch, i lost 40lbs. First time, i ever hear that. LOL

DeafBiker4JC said:

i never heard of that... cuz i am over 150 lbs... and the doctor suggested that i go on the patch... so i find this a bit odd :confused:

i never liked depo shot... it screwed up with my period and gain weight what more it's cause your mood go crazy.. i only had use for 3 month then i quit. I wasn't bother to take any of pills or anytihng like that.. condom is only way to prevent but again i know condom is not 100 percent safe but again why i would want to worry about it cuz im all lesbian :giggle:

I had been shooting for birth control to protect away from sperm or baby when I was 19 or 20 years old. I don't need it.

I don't know much about the shots, but I did have a few friends who had them. One of them had a severe allergy reaction to it. She would swell up for hours and hardly breathe. She said it could handle it since it was only once a month. Another friend was taking it monthly. She missed her shot by two days and became pregnant.

im using birth control shot for years and that shot would be about 6 months and im quit that shot and transferred another medicine! and im using birth control pills for years because im protect pregnant and the dr give me test of my private parts makes me sure not pregnant or not cancer!

Sara Boyce

p.s. i saw television about birth control patch but i saw it and i got it and i put on my arm and shoulders and how experience about it but i like it

Back