Bimodals users- CI and HA's users

Also wondering? What would you call your CI and HI? I mean If you wanted to refere to both of them?

I've always referred to them separately as "my CI and HA."

However, if I were referring to both, I'd call them "devices" or "hearing instruments."

With my CI I could hear at 35-40 dB across all frequencies. (Note that this was during the first 6 months my CI was activated. I now hear at 15-30 dB in the low and mid frequencies.)

With my hearing aid I heard 60 dB at 250 Hz, 70 dB at 500 Hz and 70 dB at 750 Hz with NR at 1000 Hz or above.

It took me 3 months to understand speech well enough to communicate without a tactile terp.

That was at it's best? So the CI were still 20 db louder then HA?
Could you get differant settings if you needed sound location and if you needed to hear speech better?

Thanks for answering my questions.

That was at it's best? So the CI were still 20 db louder then HA?
Could you get differant settings if you needed sound location and if you needed to hear speech better?

Thanks for answering my questions.

The best aidable hearing I had with my HA was 60-70 dB which my HA and CI audi told me isn't unusual given the degree of hearing loss that I had.

When CIs are mapped during the first 6 months to a year, there is a limit as to how much they can be programmed due to restrictions in the dynamic range. (i.e. the difference between the softest and loudest sound you can hear)

dreama,

My CI audi told me that people gain an average of 20-30 dB with their hearing aids.

In my case, my left and right ear started at 90-95 dB unaided and improved to 60-70 dB aided at 250, 500 and 750 Hz.

dreama,

My CI audi told me that people gain an average of 20-30 dB with their hearing aids.

In my case, since my left and right ear started at 90-95 dB unaided, it improved to 60-70 dB aided at 250, 500 and 750 Hz.

I see. Maybe I've been reading too many threads with claims of anything up to 70db gain so I was surprised. (although it did kind of sound painful to me remembering my problems with everyday sounds being painfully loud with my HA before I could understand speach).

So for the two CI And HA to work together they don't neccesarily have to have the same db range?

So for the two CI And HA to work together they don't neccesarily have to have the same db range?

No. There was only a 5 dB difference in hearing between my left and right ear yet I was able to benefit from using a HA in my nonimplanted ear (to hear environmental sounds only) for
6 months before my hearing declined further.

I see. Maybe I've been reading too many threads with claims of anything up to 70db gain so I was surprised. (although it did kind of sound painful to me remembering my problems with everyday sounds being painfully loud with my HA before I could understand speach).

What is confusing you (I think) are deafdude's posts about people who hear at 20-30 dB aided. While there are cases where this is true, it doesn't represent the majority. Keep in mind that the people deafdude referred to had unaided hearing starting at 50-60 dB, so hearing at 20-30 dB aided in the low and middle frequencies makes sense.

deafdude does tend to confuse al ot of people here with his technical terms and wrongly put terms. he does confuse me a lot and sometimes he is wrong

What is confusing you (I think) are deafdude's posts about people who hear at 20-30 dB aided. While there are cases where this is true, it doesn't represent the majority.

That's probably it. It's been a while since I last wore hearing aids which could have improved since then so I don't really know. I have a deafblind friend who has a 80 db loss and can use speech synthesisors which I couldn't do when I had that db loss.

That's probably it. It's been a while since I last wore hearing aids which could have improved since then so I don't really know. I have a deafblind friend who has a 80 db loss and can use speech synthesisors which I couldn't do when I had that db loss.

I haven't been able to use speech output since 1995 when my loss was considered severe-profound. At that time, my loss started at 95 dB in my left ear and 90 dB in my right (in both cases NR at 1000 Hz and above). My aided hearing was 60-70 dB at 250, 500 and 750 Hz, but I still could not hear JAWS or Window-Eyes well enough to understand what was being said.

I haven't been able to use speech output since 1995 when my loss was considered severe-profound. At that time, my loss started at 95 dB in my left ear and 90 dB in my right (in both cases NR at 1000 Hz and above). My aided hearing was 60-70 dB at 250, 500 and 750 Hz, but I still could not hear JAWS or Window-Eyes well enough to understand what was being said.

I meant 80 db unaided. Don't ask me though. I can't remember having hearing good enough to hear tapes. I only remember struggling if the teacher didn't write anything down. I don't know what my loss was at that stage either. I guess it depends.

I meant 80 db unaided. Don't ask me though. I can't remember having hearing good enough to hear tapes. I only remember struggling if the teacher didn't write anything down. I don't know what my loss was at that stage either. I guess it depends.

I know you meant 80 dB unaided.

Hearing loss varies from person to person. While one person may be able to use talking books, another cannot. I haven't been able to hear talking books ever since age 20 when I had severe hearing loss. Even my aided hearing wasn't enough to give me the clarity I needed to understand them. Since the last time I listened to talking books was in 1990, I've lost interest. I've tried listening to talking books after I received my first CI, but they put me to sleep. Listening to JAWS and Window-Eyes does as well, so I'm very thankful to have my Braille display and BrailleNote.

Back