Bill To Prohibit Forced Declawing

KarissaMann05

Premium Member
Reaction score
Paw Project Sponsors Bill To Prohibit Forced Declawing!

February 24, 2012 — California State Senator Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills) introduced California Senate Bill 1229, a bill to help protect the pets of people who are potential renters. This bill would prohibit landlords from advertising or establishing rental policies requiring tenants' animals to be declawed or devocalized (de‑barked). Some California landlords require the declawing of cats and the devocalizing of dogs as a condition for renting.

(Read more...)

I hope it passes!

It did happen to my former roommate when we learned that manager told it is requirement to declaw her cat if we move in. :roll:

Same here....when I rented an apartment years ago, I had a dachound. She barked at everything, even butterflies. I worked nights, and she was home alone until I came home.

The manager called me in the office and said my neighbors were complaining about the "barking"....she suggested that I muzzle my dog to see if that would help, but I could not do that!...Then she told me I would either have to de-bark my dog, or be evicted.

I took my dog to my Vet and explained the situation...he looked at me very sadly and said that he did not agree with de-barking, but would do it if I planned to keep my dog. He partially de-barked my dog, and when she barked, it was very "low sounding". Friends said it did not sound "normal", like a dog barking.

I was allowed to stay in my apartment, but at the end of my lease, I did move to a House where my neighbors did not live too close to me.

I've also seen Cats at the Humane Shelter that had been declawed. They have no method of defense!...

The law will still allow landlords to reject potential renters who have cats and dogs, correct? Is that what it means?

Personally, I think most property damage by pets is from the urine and feces from cats and dogs. The other problem with dogs is chewing and digging.

Cats with claws can tear up furniture and curtains but that's usually more of a problem for the renter's property, not the landlord's property.

I would not move into a place that told me to declaw or debark my pet!
My daugther and her husband was thinking of adopting a cat that was already declawed and when to check a cat out at the shelter they found out the poor cat had too many bad issues . it bit people and the cat was really unsociable. The work thing you can do a cat is removes it claws , most people do not realize cats uses their claws for balancing themselves when they're landing from a jump and more than the claws are removed from the paws. My daughter got a beautiful black cat , it a whole cat claws and all !

Since I got all my cats as cats, not kittens, from shelters or people who were surrendering them, most of them were already declawed. They never had any behavior or health problems. Not all declawed cats end up with problems.

I'm strongly against declawing Cats....it's their method of defense. And if the declawed Cat happened to get outside and become lost....more than likely the Cat will get killed by other Cats, as it has no defense (no claws).....Same thing if the Cat was attacked by a Dog.

Most all apartment rentals have a Pet Fee, usually several hundred dollars.....and that should take care of any damage the Cat/Dog makes.

There are too many homeless Cats and Dogs.....and forcing Cats to be declawed is inhumane, costly.....and a death sentence if they become lost or even if the owner just throws them out!

A law requiring all Pets to be spayed/neutured has my vote tho'.

are most of house cats declawed?

I'm strongly against declawing Cats....it's their method of defense. And if the declawed Cat happened to get outside and become lost....more than likely the Cat will get killed by other Cats, as it has no defense (no claws).....Same thing if the Cat was attacked by a Dog.
I've had several declawed cats (front paws only). None of them escaped outside, got attacked by other animals, or got into fights. We also had dogs in the house, and there was no problem between them and the cats. (The cats intimidated the dogs, Labradors.) They don't need defense if they live indoors. Even if they "escape," they're probably in more danger of being hit by a car.

The only cat I had that wasn't declawed was a stray "street" cat that we adopted. He was an indoor/outdoor cat and got into lots of fights (which he probably initiated).

are most of house cats declawed?

not where I live, in some countries (not my country) it is even considered animal cruelty as they have to amputate at the first joint of every toe.

There are other ways to stop a cat from destroying things

The law will still allow landlords to reject potential renters who have cats and dogs, correct? Is that what it means?

Personally, I think most property damage by pets is from the urine and feces from cats and dogs. The other problem with dogs is chewing and digging.

Cats with claws can tear up furniture and curtains but that's usually more of a problem for the renter's property, not the landlord's property.

If apartments have berber carpet or loop carpet so it will likely to be ruined so it is problem for landlord's property.

If apartments have berber carpet or loop carpet so it will likely to be ruined so it is problem for landlord's property.

Some landlord's do not allow Pets, that's their progrative....and for those Landlords that do allow Pets, most times comes with a hefty Pet Deposit. Personally, I would not rent to someone who have very large dogs unless the yard was fenced (and most apartments are not/do not have fenced-in yards). And wood flooring is becoming more popular these days, but as for Carpet, most are replaced every 2-3 years.

So it all falls upon the Landlord....if they think you are a responsible pet owner...clean up ur Pet's poop...and change the Cat's liter box often, as some Cats will not do their business if the liter box is not clean.

Some landlord's do not allow Pets, that's their progrative....and for those Landlords that do allow Pets, most times comes with a hefty Pet Deposit. Personally, I would not rent to someone who have very large dogs unless the yard was fenced (and most apartments are not/do not have fenced-in yards). And wood flooring is becoming more popular these days, but as for Carpet, most are replaced every 2-3 years.

So it all falls upon the Landlord....if they think you are a responsible pet owner...clean up ur Pet's poop...and change the Cat's liter box often, as some Cats will not do their business if the liter box is not clean.

Yup, I think it is stupid for landlord to pick berber carpet for apartments if they want to allow pets. Saxony carpet with strong anti-stain protection is best for pets so it can be easily cleaned by professional. Nylon based carpet do not need replaced until more than 10 years.

Yup, that's true about litter box and my aunt's litter box got full so her cats peed or pooped on floor.

Yeah...most apartments that do allow Pets have really cheap carpeting. So if I was a Landlord and had expensive Berber carpeting in my home/apt., I would not allow any Pets at all.

Yup, I think it is stupid for landlord to pick berber carpet for apartments if they want to allow pets. Saxony carpet with strong anti-stain protection is best for pets so it can be easily cleaned by professional. Nylon based carpet do not need replaced until more than 10 years.

Yup, that's true about litter box and my aunt's litter box got full so her cats peed or pooped on floor.

Those stain proof carpets are just a good idea, plain and simple. At least in the building I live in there are soo many little kids and less than ideal people (lives in bad part of town) the halls are stained with koolaid and other things. it's just good business sense.

That and the pet deposit I paid would cover the cost to re carpet this unit 3 times over!

Yes. They can, since it is their rights to do so.

Why blame those renters? It is more something has to do with irresponsible pet owners rather than renters. There are some great pet owners are renters. One of my former roommates is capable of being responsible pet owner, yet the manager still required her to declaw her own cat. That's plainly wrong, IMO. But we didn't find any good place with less restrictiveness... We had no choice but to keep a secret from the manager so her kitty don't have to deal unbearable experiences of the declawing. At least, we moved out and the kitty still don't get one, thankfully.

Since I got all my cats as cats, not kittens, from shelters or people who were surrendering them, most of them were already declawed. They never had any behavior or health problems. Not all declawed cats end up with problems.

Just because declawed cats are doing okay, that doesn't mean it is okay to declaw cats... There are plenty of declawed cats are being dumped at animal shelters because of litter box problems, personality changes, and so on. I witnessed how many of them... My cat is one of them, and I adopted her when she was only about one year old, due to her personality is a bit more of introvert and hates to be picked up.

Sure, there are some kitties are doing okay. Still, we just can't ignore the grave problem between cats and declawing. So, why should we sweep them off under rug? I wonder, what is your thought on debarking and modifying some "unwanted" parts off of their posessions? (I don't think they consider them as their family members because they simply see animals as disposable ones, IMO.)

I really hope you aware that their claws are not just about protect themselves and hunting preys, but it is for their body design and health reasons..... You can look up someone's deviantART page. She is work at PAWS and is against declawing after she witnessed the reality, too. Arixco on deviantART

I've had several declawed cats (front paws only). None of them escaped outside, got attacked by other animals, or got into fights. We also had dogs in the house, and there was no problem between them and the cats. (The cats intimidated the dogs, Labradors.) They don't need defense if they live indoors. Even if they "escape," they're probably in more danger of being hit by a car.

The only cat I had that wasn't declawed was a stray "street" cat that we adopted. He was an indoor/outdoor cat and got into lots of fights (which he probably initiated).

Really? Don't they need a defense? I respectfully disagree. I mean, how do you know? Some owners could be abusive that claws-less kitties can't protect themselves. Some irresponsible SPOs could forget to keep pets separate between species and felines, which they can kill them. Mostly important question is, how often declawed cats are rescued from horrible situations? Nobody knows... As for your mention of escaping, if they "escape", there are some large animals can kill it, or even some sick and sadistic young people can kill it for "fun"-- at outside or inside, it is not matter where they are. I can go on.

That is why it is important for cat's natural instinct to scratch serves both physical and psychological needs. Their claws would help them their walking stay balance well, stretching to relieve themselves, so its body is purposely designed to give it the agility and beauty that is unique to felines. Because, its claws are an important part of this design. Which means their claws are not just about protect themselves and hunting preys, but it is for their body design and health reasons.

Sorry... I can't understand why Americans have to snip all sorts of things away from creatures. For what? I hope you did adopt your declawed cats from animal shelters instead of take their claws away if you buy some pets.

Why blame those renters?
Who's blaming the renters? For what?

It is more something has to do with irresponsible pet owners rather than renters. There are some great pet owners are renters.
Yes, I know. My daughter is one of them. She rents and has a dog and two cats. (Her cats are not declawed.)

Just because declawed cats are doing okay, that doesn't mean it is okay to declaw cats... There are plenty of declawed cats are being dumped at animal shelters because of litter box problems, personality changes, and so on. I witnessed how many of them... My cat is one of them, and I adopted her when she was only about one year old, due to her personality is a bit more of introvert and hates to be picked up.
There are lots of cats in shelters for lots of reasons. Most of them are there because people let their cats breed indiscriminately, or they get tired of taking care of them. It's very sad.

One of our rescued cats was a stray. One was from a breeder who didn't need our male cat's services anymore. One was from a family whose daughter developed an allergy to cats. One was from a shelter, reason unknown.

Sure, there are some kitties are doing okay. Still, we just can't ignore the grave problem between cats and declawing. So, why should we sweep them off under rug?
I don't think declawing should be swept under the rug. I think anyone contemplating the procedure should be given all the information, pro and con, and then decide.

I wonder, what is your thought on debarking and modifying some "unwanted" parts off of their posessions? (I don't think they consider them as their family members because they simply see animals as disposable ones, IMO.)
I didn't know that debarking was a common procedure. I've never met a dog who had it done. It seems that training would be a better solution for that problem. There are times when you do want your dog to bark.

It seems that if a dog barks all day long, there's something wrong. That poor dog can't be happy if it's barking all the time.

I really hope you aware that their claws are not just about protect themselves and hunting preys, but it is for their body design and health reasons..... You can look up someone's deviantART page. She is work at PAWS and is against declawing after she witnessed the reality, too. Arixco on deviantART
I was simply pointing out that not all cats are in danger just because they're declawed.

Our cats were healthy, tidy, and very lively. Not all cats are negatively impacted by declawing.

Really? Don't they need a defense? I respectfully disagree. I mean, how do you know? Some owners could be abusive that claws-less kitties can't protect themselves.
If those owners are abusive, the poor kitties have more at risk than just being declawed. I don't think claws would really prevent a cruel owner from being abusive.

Some irresponsible SPOs could forget to keep pets separate between species and felines, which they can kill them. Mostly important question is, how often declawed cats are rescued from horrible situations? Nobody knows... As for your mention of escaping, if they "escape", there are some large animals can kill it, or even some sick and sadistic young people can kill it for "fun"-- at outside or inside, it is not matter where they are. I can go on.
Again, in those situations, claws aren't going to be enough to protect them. Sadistic young people use objects and weapons against animals, so claws won't really help them.

That is why it is important for cat's natural instinct to scratch serves both physical and psychological needs. Their claws would help them their walking stay balance well, stretching to relieve themselves, so its body is purposely designed to give it the agility and beauty that is unique to felines. Because, its claws are an important part of this design. Which means their claws are not just about protect themselves and hunting preys, but it is for their body design and health reasons.
I'm not speaking for all owners and all cats. But my cats were very graceful and agile. Most people who visited us were surprised to discover that they were declawed because they didn't notice anything different about their movements or behaviors.

I don't know the history of all their declawings because they were already spayed/neutered and declawed when we got them as adult cats. I've never had a kitten except one that I took care of temporarily until its new family was ready.

Last edited:
Who's blaming the renters? For what?

Well, don't worry about it.

Yes, I know. My daughter is one of them. She rents and has a dog and two cats. (Her cats are not declawed.)

There are lots of cats in shelters for lots of reasons. Most of them are there because people let their cats breed indiscriminately, or they get tired of taking care of them. It's very sad.

One of our rescued cats was a stray. One was from a breeder who didn't need our male cat's services anymore. One was from a family whose daughter developed an allergy to cats. One was from a shelter, reason unknown.

Quite true, unfortunately. Puppy, kitten, or any pet mills should never exist, IMO. It's better to encourage people to adopt pets from animal shelters. If they can't take a pet properly, they should not buy one in first place...

I don't think declawing should be swept under the rug. I think anyone contemplating the procedure should be given all the information, pro and con, and then deciding.

Hmm... Well, I think cat lovers or owners should try those humane products for kitties instead of see the declawing 'as a quick solution.'

I didn't know that debarking was a common procedure. I've never met a dog who had it done. It seems that training would be a better solution for that problem. There are times when you do want your dog to bark.

It seems that if a dog barks all day long, there's something wrong. That poor dog can't be happy if it's barking all the time.

Yes, it does exist. :( Same with declawing, tail docking, cosmetic ear or tail trimming/cutting and often times animal fur styling and shaving (difference to grooming). Basically, debarking is to reduce the "annoying" barking, howling, and etc during nighttime. Sometimes, barking or howling could bother neighbors because they can fill it up for complaint report. Pet owners would have two options debark it or evict out.

I was simply pointing out that not all cats are in danger just because they're declawed. Our cats were healthy, tidy, and very lively. Not all cats are negatively impacted by declawing.

I understand that.

If those owners are abusive, the poor kitties have more at risk than just being declawed. I don't think claws would really prevent a cruel owner from being abusive.

Again, in those situations, claws aren't going to be enough to protect them. Sadistic young people use objects and weapons against animals, so claws won't really help them.

No, claws could save its life. Just because claws are "useless" that doesn't mean cats don't need it. For some explains, there are articles that cats saved pet owners with their own claws from dangerous animals, or thugs, or else. Without claws, there is no way that cat can do it...

I'm not speaking for all owners and all cats. But my cats were very graceful and agile. Most people who visited us were surprised to discover that they were declawed because they didn't notice anything different about their movements or behaviors.

I don't know the history of all their declawings because they were already spayed/neutered and declawed when we got them as adult cats. I've never had a kitten except one that I took care of temporarily until its new family was ready.

It is good to know you take care of them. :)

I use the more human softclaws if that's what you are talking about karissa. nice purple ones. they work fine.

I use the more human softclaws if that's what you are talking about karissa. nice purple ones. they work fine.

Do you mean this? If so, yes, I have no problem with that but it is not a declawing...

Declawing means to cut your claws off of your paws. Like they cut your fingers off of your hands.

Back