Bill: No snacks for food stamp users

I'd rather discuss in terms of what parents *could* do for their kids (and themselves) when it comes to eating instead of saying on what they *should* do. Give them the alternatives to decide instead of brow beating them or heap guilt laden words.

Need to go and check on my meat-rich stew with carrots, green peppers, onions, and potatoes being cooked for tonight post-Superbowl game.

yeah you're right there, I was just concerned today when I saw what looked to be a 200 pound 8 year old

yeah you're right there, I was just concerned today when I saw what looked to be a 200 pound 8 year old

Yesterday, I was driving down a road, I saw a young girl. I would say maybe 8 or 9 years old. She was hopping, but also struggling at the same. She was panting and puffing while she was hopping across the road. Honestly, I'm not sure if I could even call it hopping, but she was trying her best to. I would say she weighs approximately 150 or more.

Yesterday, I was driving down a road, I saw a young girl. I would say maybe 8 or 9 years old. She was hopping, but also struggling at the same. She was panting and puffing while she was hopping across the road. Honestly, I'm not sure if I could even call it hopping, but she was trying her best to. I would say she weighs approximately 150 or more.

Sounds like this 8 year old outweighs me and I'm 28! :shock:

Well when I move out and apply for assistance, food stamps will be one of them. I have already explained to my DD that we won't be buying junks and snacks to be left around like her grandparents do. We will be buying stuff like vegetables, fruits, lean meats, canned goods, and sandwhich stuff like bread, lunch meat, mayo, cheese, etc., then we buy healthy breakfast cereals like whole grain cheerios, or corn flakes, or something like that.

But here's a question how do you feel about people who purchase bagged salads, mac n' cheese in a box, or ramen noodles as quick sides to a meal?

I have to agree that you shouldn't be allowed to buy candy, sodas, and sweets with food stamps. That's not wise use of the assistance being provided to you. It chapped my rump when I was working at walmart in addition to working two other jobs while going to school when a snotty young black girl came through my line paying for an entire cart load of candy with her food stamp card. I had to bite my tongue on that one!

Support this 100%

You're free to buy all the junk food you want with your own money, but my tax dollars will not contribute to your obesity and poor health, which puts strains on healthcare, which in turn takes more of my tax dollars.

I agree with you on this topic. Sad part is that heathy food cost more than some of processed food. It is amazed me how much more at times.

Back in 1960's, obesity was less than 5% of population in USA but there were plenty of good bakery places and soda made with real sugar instead of HFCS.

How true that is. On top of that look how few gadget these people have compare to what they do now. Not only that people just seem more in shape by eat right portion size, heather eat style, moving more. Look how much children (adult too) are glue to compter, video games, and TV.

Also HFCS is terriable part thing to be listed as ingrendents. It is very hard to find food that does not have HFCS.

Sounds like this 8 year old outweighs me and I'm 28! :shock:

Well when I move out and apply for assistance, food stamps will be one of them. I have already explained to my DD that we won't be buying junks and snacks to be left around like her grandparents do. We will be buying stuff like vegetables, fruits, lean meats, canned goods, and sandwhich stuff like bread, lunch meat, mayo, cheese, etc., then we buy healthy breakfast cereals like whole grain cheerios, or corn flakes, or something like that.

But here's a question how do you feel about people who purchase bagged salads, mac n' cheese in a box, or ramen noodles as quick sides to a meal?

I have to agree that you shouldn't be allowed to buy candy, sodas, and sweets with food stamps. That's not wise use of the assistance being provided to you. It chapped my rump when I was working at walmart in addition to working two other jobs while going to school when a snotty young black girl came through my line paying for an entire cart load of candy with her food stamp card. I had to bite my tongue on that one!

bagged salads are ok. mac and cheese in a box is ok on occasion. ramen noodles is empty calories.

Rice, potatoes and pasta noodles can go a long way on a small budget.

Not to mention that tea bags can be used several times without having to dispose of it. That's how they used to do it back in the ol' days. Water is cheap, people should drink more of it, not soda drinks.

Amen!!! I drink a lot of water. I also do drink lot of tea (hot and cold). I tend to reuse my tea bags at lest two time for hot, then re use it for cold. Seems to work out just fine for me.

Plus you are right about Rice.

bagged salads are ok. mac and cheese in a box is ok on occasion. ramen noodles is empty calories.

Rice, potatoes and pasta noodles can go a long way on a small budget.

They can go a long way, and the things you eat with them like tomato sauce can also be cheap and very good for you.

broccoli,califlower and carrots for super bowl snacks.. :rockon: most of you probably had ice cream and beer :lol:

Well water or sulfur water...perhaps she needs to connect to city water. But sulfur water has a lot of iron in it and I remmy when I lived in the country with sulfur water, I gained weight.....Plus, if you dye ur hair, using the sulfur water turns it a different color. I had to use bottled water.

I my sister water is the city water. My governor want to put a tax on bottled water as he know so many people in Massachusetts buy bottled water ! If this does pass I am going to tax free New Hampshire and stock on bottled water and I will not be the only person doing this.

The USA did not have the NAFTA and many other Free Trade agreements and more during the second World War. So even if you were to initiate a third World War, it still wouldn't stimulate the economy within the country. Did you know that during the second World War, the government took over many, many factories and converted them to build weapons?

Today, there aren't as many factories as there used to be.

My dad had a buckle factory and he made a lot of money during WW11 making
buckles for the government.

Maybe the point is to teach kids to look at their own food and see what is good and what is not, and to help kids pressure their parents for healthy lunches.

You have to be joking!! My granddaughter is bugging her mom to give her junky snacks instead of healthy one. You're forgetting some kids parents are very poor and can't afford to give their kid a snack everyday. My point is it not the teacher job to stick her big fat nose into other people life. The schools and governments are trying to take too much control over people lives. How would like some stranger telling you how to feed or dress your child? It is not the teachers jobs to tell a child what they should eat! Maybe you don't mind having people telling you what to do but I sure don't. If my child was in that class I would had said something to the school.

Your daughter should speak to the teacher, and if the teacher won't listen, then to the principal. That is very wrong for the teacher to do.

Teaching about good nutrition is one thing but going into the kids' lunches is another.

My daughter works at the school as a lunch lady and I think she feel uncomfortable saying anything. I would love to call the school and say something but my daughter would not like it. She is not as out spoken as I am.
My daughter think it a bad idea too. It is good to see someone feel the same as me! I am afraid this will setup some kids to be picked on too, you know how kids can be mean about the littlest thing. I feel really bad for kids that come from poor families and can't afford to buy fresh fruits or a snack for their child.
I think this teacher is using very poor judgement.

Maybe the point is to teach kids to look at their own food and see what is good and what is not, and to help kids pressure their parents for healthy lunches.

Honestly, I think the teachers should mind their own business. They have no business looking at what the kids are eating. Let alone talking them into talking to their parents about it. If the child's eating habits is a real concern, then that should be brought to the attention of the school administration and make a decision on whether a social worker should be called in or not.

I agree with you on this topic. Sad part is that heathy food cost more than some of processed food. It is amazed me how much more at times.

I keep hearing that the US government gives money to companies making things like chips, so they can make the chips cheap... I know they want companies to buy more corn from american farms, but why can't they subsidize healthier foods instead? Then American farms could grow healthier vegetables and fruits.

I keep hearing that the US government gives money to companies making things like chips, so they can make the chips cheap... I know they want companies to buy more corn from american farms, but why can't they subsidize healthier foods instead? Then American farms could grow healthier vegetables and fruits.

Corn is heavily subsidized... and I mean heavily subsidized! That's why it's so cheap to make sugar out of it compared to cane sugar and other types of sugar.

I hope Obama admin gets involved. Get the DOJ to strike down Florida food stamps law just like DOJ told South Carollina voter ID law they cant do it. Just like DOJ told Arizona you cant enforce illegal immingration only federal government can enforce it.

I hope Obama admin gets involved. Get the DOJ to strike down Florida food stamps law just like DOJ told South Carollina voter ID law they cant do it. Just like DOJ told Arizona you cant enforce illegal immingration only federal government can enforce it.

I hope DOJ knocks all gay marriage ban down in all states.

Well War does solve the economy. Just like it recovered back in the 40s.

War doesn't help the economy. That's the Broken Window Fallacy. It ignores the lost opportunity costs- money was spent on some businesses, but that only means that same money was NOT spent on other businesses where it might have been.
Who knows how many entrepreneurs who could have created jobs are cut down in their prime through war?

This also ignores the cost of unintended consequences.

And it requires false comparisons. You can't compare private sector employment, which contributes to the economy, with government sector employment, which depletes resources from the private sector. In WWII many private businesses suffered because they were unable to find employees or resources to continue to manufacture and sell their products.

Some of them turned to manufacturing for the government, but, again, this depleted private sector businesses.

Great Myths of the Great Depression | Foundation for Economic Education
Wartime Prosperity? A Reassessment of the U.S. Economy in the 1940s: Newsroom: The Independent Institute

Back