Bill Cosby's comments...

Yeah… I am glad someone like Mr. Cosby spoke out against Ebonics (black English) being used in the black community. Now I wonder if black militants like the Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpio will fire back at Mr. Cosby for speaking out against his own fellow people's language? I have great respects for black figures like Mr. Cosby!

EDIT- oops! I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing in!

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember reading this. I agree! It's about time someone like him said it! :thumb:

Brian said:
Yeah… I am glad someone like Mr. Cosby spoke out against Ebonics (black English) being used in the black community. Now I wonder if black militants like the Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpio will fire back at Mr. Cosby for speaking out against his own fellow people's language? I have great respects for black figures like Mr. Cosby!

EDIT- oops! I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing in!

I totally agree with you, here. Unfortunately, yes, Mr. Cosby IS getting a lot of flack from the likes of those you spoke about. It's a real shame!

Good on Mr. Cosby! :thumb:

I dislike watching and reading Ebonics on television shows such as Law and Order to name a few. I think Black people certainly could do with some brushing up of their English. They are not in the times where African Americans spoke pidgin English!

IM SO happy to see something postive can be outcome in this despite his negtive supports hes gotten, no one sees the real meanings of this, its still a black and white issue all around. and i for one am glad bill cosby is actually standing up and speaking out on this, they want to see action then why not just :-X and do something instead of complaining abt it? if u dont like what he said then change the demeanor of the life u are now being veiwed as and change it for the postive aspect! real simple u think, no its not and doesn t happen over night, but it can be done don t step back step forward and make a postive change in this!

I agree, it is up to us to make something out of this.

One part of what he said, though...
"People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake, and then we run out and are outraged, saying 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

That makes my blood run cold. Of COURSE we should be outraged someone gets shot for stealing food to eat. What kind of people are we?????
:mad2:

Beowulf said:
I agree, it is up to us to make something out of this.

One part of what he said, though...
"People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake, and then we run out and are outraged, saying 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

That makes my blood run cold. Of COURSE we should be outraged someone gets shot for stealing food to eat. What kind of people are we?????
:mad2:

Ok, but then again, why the hell did he have the pound cake in his hand? Chances are there was a little more to it then a guy stealing a pound cake and getting shot. Something had to happen where someone thought he had a weapon or was appearing threatening or something before he got shot, most people wont shoot another person for stealing a pound cake. I'm not in any way saying you cant be pissed about someone being shot, but dont over look the fact that they may have been doing something seriously wrong to have gotten shot in the first place.

Brian said:
QUOTE]

Al Sharptin has a few things that are worth listening to. But much like jesse jackson, i believe he hates all white people and has a "black people can do no wrong" attitude. I'm all for equil rights, but his version of equil is about 80/20. Thats why he can run for president every election and will never get more then .02% of the vote. Same thing for jesse jackson. Has anyone really heard from him lately? I havnt, why not you ask? Well he was talking smack all during Clintons presidency about how its wrong to cheat on your wife and all that (and thats a good point). But then what happens, omg jesse cheated on his wife! Omg no, not jesse, so then he says how wrong it was of him, and he's very sorry about it, and how he regreted it and whatever... Then what does he do, he trys to rant on again about something else, but then guess what, another woman steps forward and says, "jesse is the father of my child" Well that seals the deal. jesse is no longer worthy of dog shit to me (not that he ever was you fucking racist jesse). So this concludes my lesson on why those 2 suck balls. PS, can someone get Colin Powel to run for prez, i'd vote him in with lightning speed. I bet if he ran starting today, he'd still beat out bush and kerry.

:ugh: someone just got shot in the head for stealing a pound cake? no wonder cops are called pigs lol

but anyway, it did take enough guts for Coby himself to speak the REAL truth out there and show us the REAL problem and shit like that so you proably heard this before... black people are more racist than whites or so it seems, because they just won't let go of the past, you know? it still angers them and makes them hate the whites more and stuff...but hey the civil war has been over AGES ago...so it just have to take time and I mean a very LONG time to make it heal...know what I mean?

Steel said:
:ugh: someone just got shot in the head for stealing a pound cake? no wonder cops are called pigs lol

but anyway, it did take enough guts for Coby himself to speak the REAL truth out there and show us the REAL problem and shit like that so you proably heard this before... black people are more racist than whites or so it seems, because they just won't let go of the past, you know? it still angers them and makes them hate the whites more and stuff...but hey the civil war has been over AGES ago...so it just have to take time and I mean a very LONG time to make it heal...know what I mean?

Well 1 argument (for the reason of their anger) is they want "reperations" for having their ancestors being slaves. A few years ago some even put that on their tax returns, and a few of them got a check for 250k$. Yes, i shit you not, they put "Reperations from slavery 250k" on their return and recieved money for it. I was all in favor of them going to jail or prison for grand theft, but the govt said if they returned the money nothing would happen. There is 1 way, and 1 way only i would every agree to "reperations". Anyone that was actuly a slave, i say then fine, we will give you 5 million dollars for what happened. Yes i'm aware the fact that it was legal then, and they dont deserve any money (people now) so thats why it would be limited to people that were actuly slaves, and since slavery was abolished something like 130 years ago, i doubt any would claim the 5 million.

Anyway, back to to the topic..

Yeah, I totally back what Bill Cosby said about the language skills developing around USA. Talking street makes you look uneducated. Whenever someone talk like a rapper or "they be from ghetto", I cringe.

Deaf258 said:
Talking street makes you look uneducated. Whenever someone talk like a rapper or "they be from ghetto", I cringe.

Precisely! I agree totally and I often cringe inwardly.

Miss-Delectable said:
Precisely! I agree totally and I often cringe inwardly.
They talk ebonics cuz they think its cool, so different from the white people, they are trying to be unique in their own race..well to me they are still human beings no different from other races, period! so its pretty silly to me when they speak ebonics, after all we live in America where we speak plain ENGLISH, period! thats why i think any foreigner who comes to live in American should learn to speak English! they go around speaking Arab, Russian, Spanish etc thinking we should learn their language, bullcrap! you know what im saying? Just sayin my 2 cents worth! heh!

Actually, I think Spanish and French should become official languages of the US too. Florida and Western States used to be owned by Spain, and also Louisana Purchase was French possession. I think it is a shame that so many Americans adopt the philosophy that being monolingual is the best way to go. In Europe, they learn several languages, and Americans go over there, expecting everyone to be able to speak English. I cringe every time when I meet rude Americans abroad refusing to try to meet with the natives somewhere in middle by communicating in different ways. They just shout loud at natives in English, expecting them to understand.

Back to topic: Speak English?! Be careful, we do not speak English but ASL too! Should that be outlawed too?

I don't mind learning Spanish. If everyone had to speak only English, then, like Kuifje75 implied, say "buh-bye!" to ASL!

kuifje75 said:
Actually, I think Spanish and French should become official languages of the US too. Florida and Western States used to be owned by Spain, and also Louisana Purchase was French possession. I think it is a shame that so many Americans adopt the philosophy that being monolingual is the best way to go. In Europe, they learn several languages, and Americans go over there, expecting everyone to be able to speak English. I cringe every time when I meet rude Americans abroad refusing to try to meet with the natives somewhere in middle by communicating in different ways. They just shout loud at natives in English, expecting them to understand.

Back to topic: Speak English?! Be careful, we do not speak English but ASL too! Should that be outlawed too?

Its the official language, i dont think there is enough french speaking people to justify adding french. Spanish is entirely different. Most of the spanish only speaking people are in this country illegaly, kick them out and the need for adding spanish to the list is gone. If there were more deaf people then asl could be an "official" language, but i think more people speak french then know asl so its not likely to happen, but while its not likely to be an "official" language of the country, its still a widly used and accepted form of sign for the country, so does it really need to be on the "official" list?

Megladon said:
but while its not likely to be an "official" language of the country, its still a widly used and accepted form of sign for the country, so does it really need to be on the "official" list?

Yes. :)

Otherwise it will be forgotten, or looked at as not a real language. Why do you think the U of MN had deaf advocates FIGHTING to get the U to recognize ASL as a 2nd language?

meh.

Back