Bilateral

Vivie

Reaction score
I just was offered an opportunity to go bilateral!! :shock::shock::shock:

it's part of some study of other company ( MEDEL ) even if I have Freedom in my implanted ear.

Even in Greece these things happened..I've said I'd take that opportunity after I've studied it a bit.

So do you know any bilaterals that have different companies at their sides?:hmm::hmm:

I'm still in shock anyways..

i know one implantee who has an advanced bionics hiresolution 90k in one ear and a nucleus freedom in the other. unfortunately, she wasn't pleased with the results initially, but after seeing a different ci audi, both of her ci's were programmed to the point where she is now very happy with what she hears.

hmmm that makes sense , as it needs different tactics for either implant to hear.even with the same companies it'd be a lot hard for that to happen.

I have read about bilateral users with different brands on each side. They were part of research studies. Results vary. Some hear better in one ear than the other. It doesn't mean that one implant is better, it might mean that they simply hear better on one side. I know a lady who got the N22, and it was good only in quiet with one person, then she decided to get the Clarion CII (before the HiResolution came out) in the other ear and was very happy with it. She later decided to upgrade the N22 to N24, and she still had did not hear that well, so the problem might be her ear. She is still able to wear both CI. Here's the link for you to read her story http://www.angelfire.com/ny/tracilee/tracilee4.html .

you know, when i decided to go bilateral in 2006 i asked my ci audi how she felt about me having two different ci brands in each ear. she told me it would be easier if i stuck with the same brand for ease of dealing with the same ci manufacturer and not having to worry about using different accessories for each ci. however, given how much vivie has wanted to go bilateral, i think this would be an excellent opportunity and i wish her nothing but the best. :)

Yeah, I don't mean to scare or be a negative, but I thought Vivie wanted to know of others with different brands. The one link I posted is the one I know is on a website that is about two different brands.

It's a decision that only one personally can make. There are other people that have done this, so Vivie is not the only one.

wow..that is pretty cool!

Like above posters, I think the only thing you may have issues with is finding an audiologist that deals with both implants. It's not very common in the states (the Med El). But, you do have a better chance finding an audiologist that deals with Cochlear AND Med El.

It would be interesting to see your progress! Plus, I think if this is really part of the study, you can get the accessories for free, so that's another plus. Just do more research on it and weigh all the decisions (pros - no batteries needed for Med El, and cons - for example, the size of Med El is much smaller than Freedom).

That is wonderful news Vivie...all the best and I hope it all works out in your favor.

I am interested in how the two different CI would work. I know as a bilateral, my ears work together and one is not complete without the other one on.

I look forward to this development. Keep us informed.

Back