Bilateral Question ????????????

ashleysmommy

Reaction score
Ashley is doing great so far with her new implant. We had an audi appointment yesterday. She is hearing at 20-30db across the board. Her left side is almost 2 months hearing. Her right side is a year and a month hearing. She has started to pull the right side off some. I guess my question would be if any one developed a preference to one ear or the other? Is sound quality better on one side? I am trying to understand why she may be doing this. I know her right side was much worse than the left. This could be a factor. Just looking for some input. Thanks.

Good to know that she is doing so well. This is just a guess, but I know that it works this way with HA. If an individual doesn't get as much discrimination ability through their worst ear when aided, it can interfere with the discrimination they are able to get through their better ear when aided. My son was taken out of his right HA at the age of 6 because it was interfering with his ability to discriminate speech from his aided left ear. With just one aid, his discrimination was better because of the interference from distracting noise. I don't know that this would be the case with Ashley's CI, though. Perhaps she just gets overstimulated at times with the bilateral. I think I remember you saying in another thread that she was overstimulated easily. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pulling off the side that she should be used too... strange indeed.

In Norway, where all children that were implanted unilaterally were offered a second CI, the way to let the children adjust was to have them wear 1 implant for a period of times, and extend that time until the child was used to them.
But I have not heard about a preference for the "new" CI...

How well does she hear with the new CI? Is it set the same as the old one??

You didn't switch the processors around?
With Lotte this does not matter really since they are programmed the same.(Bi-lateral operation) In Ashleys case, it would matter which processor is where...

Keep us informed

She is doing so much better with the new implant. It has only been right at 2 months now and she is at normal hearing levels on the new side. She is 1 year and 1 month on the old and it is very hard to get a consistent test. She just doesn't seem to get as clear or as good sounds from the old ear. The new is all updated inside and out but I didn't think that would make that big a difference. I was told that since she was hearing in the right ear for a year it kept the left stimulated enough to do well with the implant. She just moved so fast this time. Any one that was implanted with an old and an upgraded version experience any sound quality differences? Just trying to under stand what she may be hearing.

Back