Bilateral Implants

darkangel8603

Reaction score
Heyyy, I'm Back, I think lol, actually I had been here for awhile, mostly lurking around reading posts lol. Anyway I got to thinking about bilateral implants.

Those who are new or haven't read my original posts, I first came here in 2005? Can't remember what year, but I came here asking questions about ci, and got some great informations. I had been implanted since I was 19 and I am very happy with it, and I am now 21, but I am thinking of getting another implant. So I am wondering if anybody here had any successful stories or not so successful stories to share about bilateral implants, I would like to hear about them.

I know all about the risks and pros and cons about getting an implant itself since I already went through that once, but I just would like to know if its worth it to try to get a second one or not.

Thanks

Hi.

I've recently became a bilateral CI'er. I was implanted with my 1st CI in May '07. Activated in June '07. I loved it. I love having a CI and my experience as a CI'er has been awesome so I decided to go thru the whole journey again and get my 2nd one which I had just gotten earlier this month. Surgery was May 8th and activation was yesterday and already I see a huge difference in being a bilateral CI'er now. HUGE difference. I'm amazed!! I can now hear from all around, and while I understood speech just fine with one CI, I can understand it much better with both CI's. In just one day alone, I noticed that I'm not asking my 5 yr old daughter to repeat herself much at all. [She is difficult to understand, even the rest of my family, who are all hearing has trouble understanding her so it's not just me and no, she doesn't have any speech issues, she's starting to talk much better as she improves her mispronoucations.] There's a few other stuff I've noticed too. I am soo anxious for June 4th to arrive so I can wear both CI's 24/7. My audi wants me to wear the new CI alone as much I can until she sees me and does the mapping for both CI's to work together.

Anyways, as you know, it's a personal choice. Everyone is different. But for me? So far, I'm loving being a bilateral CI'er and it's only been day 2 of being activated!

Do come back and let us know what you've decided to do. :)

Hi, darkangel.........Have you experimented with a powerful hearing aid in your unimplanted ear? It might be worth it to do so. The bilateral implant difference isn't drastic. It basicly boils down to better sound localization and improved hearing in noise. Some people can get that with a bimodal (CI plus HA) approach. If the bilateral difference was drastic, I totally would tell you to go for it. If you can't get ANY benifit from aids (not even a power aid or a digital aid) I so would get implanted. But, I also think that it's SO worth it to experiment too!

Hi, darkangel.........Have you experimented with a powerful hearing aid in your unimplanted ear? It might be worth it to do so. The bilateral implant difference isn't drastic. It basicly boils down to better sound localization and improved hearing in noise. Some people can get that with a bimodal (CI plus HA) approach. If the bilateral difference was drastic, I totally would tell you to go for it. If you can't get ANY benifit from aids (not even a power aid or a digital aid) I so would get implanted. But, I also think that it's SO worth it to experiment too!

With all due respect, how would you know? You have a conductive loss, and are HoH. I've heard other people who went bilateral say it makes a world of difference. We are meant to hear with two ears. I would think that better soound localization and being able to hear better in noise is a BIG DEAL.

Yes I had tried hearing aid in my other year less than an year ago, but its crap, for one thing the audi had trouble trying to find the right aid for me as most even powerful aids wouldn't work very well. And even when the audi got one that pretty much up there to try to fit with what I can hear or what I cant hear, he still had a bit of trouble trying to adjust it to suit my ear. Then with the hearing aid my hearing is very muffled and not as clear not very loud for me, very quiet and hard for me to understand speech with hearing aids alone.

As I said to my mom, wow I cant believe how much a difference between CI and hearing aids, cuz after my implantation in my left ear, I kinda forgot what it sounded like with hearing aids, then i can see the differences, and hearing aids don't really work very well for me.

I am severe to profoundly deaf in both ears, and obviously its a bit worse in my right ear because the dr chose my left ear as the better ear to try the surgery on.

as deafmama said, i understand what you mean about tryingto understand young children talking, I grew up with tons of trouble understanding young children talking, but with 1 implant its a bit better, not 100 percent but i understand speech more with one implant, and i am hoping the second would be even better.

Hey!

Glad you're exploring the option of becoming bilateral CI'er. I got my second surgery 5 months after my first. At first, I thought I would just get 1, and wait for technology to get better and get the second one...but it turns out that I absolutely love my CI so much that I wanted to get my other ear implanted. I could care less about improvement of technology...I can always get upgradeable processors!

I have not been activated yet, but reading blogs of many single CI'ers and quite a few of them have two. They have talked about how much better it was with two than with one. I have not seen any negatives about having two. ONLY listen to those who have experienced bilaterals...ONLY they know what it's like. It's not *just* for localization, or whatever.

So, if you feel that you're benefiting a LOT from your CI, imagine what it's like with two. If you're getting good benefits, but feeling average about it, or not hearing as much as you want - you may want to consider trying to adjust your mapping until you're satisfied.

I can't speak for Deafmama or others...but if you have the second one done, it would be like "starting over" with your right, because of so many years using your left. Ya know what I mean?

Wish you best of luck!!

I've heard other people who went bilateral say it makes a world of difference. We are meant to hear with two ears. I would think that better soound localization and being able to hear better in noise is a BIG DEAL.
Agreed. I'm not saying that it's not a good thing. I'm just saying that for SOME people, they might be able to get sound localization and better hearing in noise with a HA. Response to hearing aids is VERY indivdual. Besides, its not like the difference between no hearing with a HA, and getting speech perception. I'm not against CI.......it's just a fact that response to HA varies, and some people might get as much out of a HA (sound localization and better hearing in noise) as they would with CI.
But it does sound like she's explored that option.
DarkAngel....I SO would go for it!!!!!

Wait, a sec darkangel.......aren't you in Canada? It might be VERY difficult to get a second CI then. The dual CI thing seems to be mostly in the US....and even public insurance doesn't cover dual CIs.

yah ia m in canada, oh really? i was wondering about that too. I didnt know if Canada would cover for bilateral or not. ughh. gotta look around more and ask questions. thanks

yah ia m in canada, oh really? i was wondering about that too. I didnt know if Canada would cover for bilateral or not. ughh. gotta look around more and ask questions. thanks

Look around. Try to find others from Canada who went Bilateral and ask them questions about the process they went through. I don't know beans about the process there, but I believe if you really want this, you should go for this! Be persistent and DON'T give up!

Good luck, girl! :)

Just found this new research....(today's....)
Not in your age-group, but then again.... it's always great to read this kind of stuff..

Actually, 2 bilateral CI's sounds like a lot.... 1 bilateral would do... :)

2 Bilateral Cochlear Implants Are Definitely Superior To 1
A study of cochlear implant patients seen by Indiana University School of Medicine physicians is the first research to show evidence that cochlear implants in both ears significantly improves quality of life in patients with profound hearing loss and that the cost of the second implant is offset by its benefits.

The study, which appears in the May issue of the journal Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, found that improvements in factors that contribute to quality of life including such critical abilities as hearing in noisy environments, focusing on conversations, and speaking at an appropriate volume resulted when cochlear devices were implanted in both ears.

This study may have a significant impact for profoundly deaf individuals who hope to have their health insurance providers pay for bilateral rather than the standard single cochlear implant. The study authors found the benefits of the second implant outweighed the added cost of the second device.

"We didn't know that cognitive skills and emotional issues would so significantly improve with the implantation of a second cochlear device. In addition to the physiological improvements we saw in patients who had bilateral implants, we found that patients were able to function better in noisy environments and definitely felt better about themselves," said senior study author Richard Miyamoto, M.D., Arilla Spence DeVault Professor and chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.

Dr. Miyamoto is the immediate past president of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. First author of the study is Bradford G. Bichey, M.D., MPH, a former research fellow and resident at the IU School of Medicine and currently an otolaryngologist in Marion, Ind.

"Profoundly deaf individuals who were born with hearing, their families, physicians, and health insurance providers now have the data they need," said Dr. Miyamoto. "There is definite improvement after one implant and there is a significant added bump in sound and speech perception after the second implant. Emotional well being improves. And we found a favorable cost utility analysis. Our hope is that with these findings more health insurance companies will cover the cost of bilateral implants and bring a superior quality of life to a large number of individuals."

Approximately 1.4 million American are deaf in both ears and experience significant impairment in communication with the hearing world according to the study authors. The IU School of Medicine cochlear program is one of the largest in the country. IU physicians have implanted more than 1,500 cochlear devices over the past quarter century at Indiana University Hospital and Riley Hospital for Children.

Hi, darkangel.........Have you experimented with a powerful hearing aid in your unimplanted ear? It might be worth it to do so. The bilateral implant difference isn't drastic. It basicly boils down to better sound localization and improved hearing in noise. .......
Do you actually read posts?

How about
"..... Surgery was May 8th and activation was yesterday and already I see a huge difference in being a bilateral CI'er now. HUGE difference. I'm amazed!!...."
in the post before yours, and you still come up with things like "The bilateral implant difference isn't drastic."

Amazing....

Just found this new research....(today's....)
Not in your age-group, but then again.... it's always great to read this kind of stuff..

Actually, 2 bilateral CI's sounds like a lot.... 1 bilateral would do... :)

Thank you, Cloggy. I'm not really qualified to advice someone on getting bilaterals, but I have seen the other posters who have bilats say it makes a big difference.

Thank you, Cloggy. I'm not really qualified to advice someone on getting bilaterals, but I have seen the other posters who have bilats say it makes a big difference.
Same here... well,perhaps some qualifications.... The only experience I have is with Lotte. But even then, she's had bi-lateral CI since day one. Bi-lateral is the standard. The only experience with 1 CI is when one of Lotte's CI failed..... and it showed the benefit of bilateral...

I'll take the word of a bi-lateral CI-user before I would listen to someone who never experienced it, let alone never experienced CI.

I do have bilateral implants. My implants were done simultaneous. I do spend time with one implant at a time for auditory therapy. I can tell you it makes a huge differences in me. It is more than just locatation of sound. It provides clarity and completeness of sound. With one implant, either one, the sound is more robotic and has an echo. When I put both on it loses that and sounds more "normal."

Another sequential bilateral user who has noticed a significant difference. I really wasn't expecting it but compared to the "powerful" hearing aid that I previously had in my last implanted ear, the new CI really leaves it for dead. The improved result may not show itself in booth sentence testing conditions but really comes into its own in outside, every day life conditions.

I second Cloggy that it's also reassuring to know that if one CI stops functioning that I have the other one.

Oh and I also experimented with other powerful hearing aids as part of the process of getting approval. This is pretty much standard for anyone who has some residual hearing.

Same here... well,perhaps some qualifications.... The only experience I have is with Lotte. But even then, she's had bi-lateral CI since day one. Bi-lateral is the standard. The only experience with 1 CI is when one of Lotte's CI failed..... and it showed the benefit of bilateral...

I'll take the word of a bi-lateral CI-user before I would listen to someone who never experienced it, let alone never experienced CI.

I agree. Granted, I don't have the experiences of having a CI, or even being deaf, but I have a "there for the grace of God, go I" mentality. If I was ever in a position to need a CI, I would also want to listen to someone who has the experiences rather than look at what research says, or what someone without the experience says. I value the opinions of CIers themselves, and parents of children with CI.

I also would listen to other deafies, too, but if I was considering the CI and my mind was pretty much made up, I would NOT want someone going ..."On the other hand...blah blah blah". In that sense, that other person is just wasting their energy.

With all due respect, how would you know? You have a conductive loss, and are HoH. I've heard other people who went bilateral say it makes a world of difference. We are meant to hear with two ears. I would think that better soound localization and being able to hear better in noise is a BIG DEAL.

I tend to agree, being 'blind' beyond a foot or so (and not having much field of vision).

It is harder to notice location without stereo hearing, as you only hear in one side, so unless you can really recognize 'Doppler effect', it is hard to tell if something is behind, to the side, or simply just sounding 'odd'... just like I lack depth perception by being nearly totally blind in one eye, depth requires stereo vision.

But I do agree, if you can try something else, all the better, because it is still a surgery, with risks, but since you already have one I am sure you already know all about it. So it is ultimately your choice, advice is good, but only you can decide, in the end.

I emailed my audi, she said...

With respect to bilaterals, right now they are being done in children and primary through research. We have such a long waiting list for the adults that we simply cannot justify giving a patient two devices when so many people are waiting for one.

so... i guess that means no.

Back