Bilateral Cochlear Implants?

AmyCy

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I got a cochlear implant in my left ear a few years ago after losing my hearing in high school. and I do pretty well with it (except I still have a lot of trouble on the phone). But I cant help but feel like that there could be more. I have been thinking about getting another one in my right ear. My family wants me to keep waiting until something better comes out (they say this every year). But these are the most crucial years of my life, and I want to go to grad school after I graduate college. And I don't want to keep waiting for something that might not happen. I'm living in the now- not in the woulda, coulda, shouldas of the past and future.

Is there anyone here with a bilateral cochlear implant? I've done a lot of research about it. But I want to hear from you guys. (And I know there are some people who might not like that I posted this... so be gentle please....)

Thanks.

Amy

Hi everyone!!

I got a cochlear implant in my left ear a few years ago after losing my hearing in high school. and I do pretty well with it (except I still have a lot of trouble on the phone). But I cant help but feel like that there could be more. I have been thinking about getting another one in my right ear. My family wants me to keep waiting until something better comes out (they say this every year). But these are the most crucial years of my life, and I want to go to grad school after I graduate college. And I don't want to keep waiting for something that might not happen. I'm living in the now- not in the woulda, coulda, shouldas of the past and future.

Is there anyone here with a bilateral cochlear implant? I've done a lot of research about it. But I want to hear from you guys. (And I know there are some people who might not like that I posted this... so be gentle please....)

Thanks.

Amy

Amy,

I have bilateral CIs. I posted a lot on my blog about it. Also you might want to check out Michael Chorost, he just had bilateral CI surgery. His blog has a lot info. Michael Chorost

Since I had mine done together, I might not be the best info. I have heard that you have to train your ears again because they need to learn to work together. Since I did surgery together, my ears work together and in harmony. I can't go with only one, the sound is different.

good luck

I've been following very closely to Michael Chorost's blog. I will definitely check out yours. Thank you!!! :)

oh and I have a blogger too. I seldom post on it. But I shall add you, if that's okay. eighmyqyter.blogspot.com

Hi everyone!!

Thanks.

Amy
Hi Amy
I do not have implants but my teenagers do. I just met with all 3 companies that make implants. You really do not have to wait if you do not want too. They build these chips ahead of the game so when a new processors comes out you can use it with the new techonology. Even my son with the N22 will be able to use the freedom processor.

Good luck for your search for inforamtion. But, keep in mind as well, that grad school is not an improbability without bilateral.

I've been bilateral now for 6 months now and I really love it. Only one implant was good, but being bilateral gives me extra support in noisy conditions and also music sounds better quality.

For me, it was either ditch the hearing aid or go bilateral. I could hardly tell my hearing aid was switched on with the first CI on as well, since it dominated. I was also frustrated with the sounds from the hearing aid, which didn't seem to be as clear as the CI. Like you, I didn't want to waste the use of my ear. I was also conscious of the fact that with just one CI, I was very technologically dependent, so that if it broke then I didn't have anything to fall back on. With two, if one breaks then the other one will help me through.

Those are my own personal reasons. It worked out for me. However, your own results may be quite different, depending on a number of factors unique to you. The fact that you do well with your first CI is encouraging though.

Amy, on the other hand bilateral implants don't make a HUGE difference. The benifits are basicly improved sound localization, and better hearing in noise. It's not a drastic improvement. (the way one is)
Do you have any hearing with an aid in your unimplanted ear? I know that end results are kinda mixed. Some people have the CI/HA combo, and some others will opt for bilaterals.

Hi everyone!!

Hey amy!! I would say that you are not the only one, but many of us must be in the same boat with people telling us to wait for something "better" in the future. It can be really frustrating to wait - I delayed a simple CI evaluation for 3 years, hoping that I would make the best use of my hearing aids ('cuz I never had such good HA before, and was never well adjusted with HA), but I tried too hard to stick around with HA. So hard, that I just managed fine with life, but it was not without struggles!! I had my CI evaluation finally last week, and the univ-hospital where I went, is actually working towards the first CI with laser technology. I got so excited and thought I should delay it further, until my doctor told me that Laser wont be out for another 15 years. Bottom line - Dont Wait if you really "need" a way to stay in control, be more independent and communicate well. Thats one mistake I made!!

Bilateral is really a good option and the numbers are really going up now. I am sure it would help you more, but you will need to do a lot of work on your own to train your new ear, balance both ears and learn to hear new sounds again. I personally dont have much experience with Bilaterals, but I was advised against it even though I have more than 95DB loss in both ears. My doc. told me to go with the right ear and wear HA in the other till such time the hearing deteriorates further, when I can get the 2nd ear done too. So, if you feel you "need" to stay more in control, then definitely try bilateral. I also can't say if phone would improve for you with bilaterals - it really depends from person to person.

I personally dont have much experience with Bilaterals, but I was advised against it even though I have more than 95DB loss in both ears. My doc. told me to go with the right ear and wear HA in the other till such time the hearing deteriorates further, when I can get the 2nd ear done too. So, if you feel you "need" to stay more in control, then definitely try bilateral. I also can't say if phone would improve for you with bilaterals - it really depends from person to person.

I think this is a sensible approach by your doctor. There is no guarantees with CIs and in most cases, residual hearing is forever lost.

Hello Amy!
Welcome!

I was just activated a few weeks ago, and because to the fact that I did so well with my CI already...I was actually VERY surprised on how much better I could hear with my CI, and wished I've done it earlier! Based on this fact, I am itching to go bilateral, so I'm in the same boat you are.

As for the phone...you could practice with your parents or a hearing friend that's willing to take the time to help you out. I'm not sure if you have the newest CI, but the newest CI have telecoil, and that would help you out a lot with telephones - that are analogs, not digital. At least for me, I've always used the T on my hearing aids, and will do the same for my CI.

Have you used your hearing aid your right ear since you got the CI? The reason why I asked is because some people that don't do too well with CI, is because their ears were not simulated enough so they were not used to the "natural sounds". The more simulated your ear is, the better off it will be. Even though right now my HA overpowers my CI, I still wear it once in a while just to keep it simulated until I definitely decide to do bilateral.

Has anyone else done the same? Did it matter that your ears were simulated or not?

Wish you best of luck Amy!!

and wear HA in the other till such time the hearing deteriorates further,
Yay, glad I haven't been attacked.
The reason why I'm not as gung ho abt bilaterals is that even if you have minimal help with hearing aids, that can help you localize sound as well.
It totally would be different if with bilat there was a MAJOR difference.......but it just seems that the improvement is not too amazing.

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

I have been practicing with the phone for a long time now, and I have a t-mic. I've tried the telecoil, I didn't like it. I hear well on it, depending on the person's voice. but its frustrating that I cant hear certain people. they take it personally. And that's not why I want to go bilateral, i realize I am not guaranteed the same results. I was just pointing out my success with the implant, just not on the phone.

i have been wearing hearing aids in my right ear for three years now (actually all my life, I wore hearing aids in both ears, until I completely lost the hearing in my left ear). But since December they have been absolutely no help at all. Meaning I cant hear ANYTHING. So I don't wear them at all anymore. I miss hearing in that ear, as little as it was. It helped a lot with localization, etc. I'm willing to take my chances. But I can't quite seem to get my parents to see it the same way, they have this image in their head, that if we wait long enough I could have perfect hearing one day. But I know better. But we're going to talk to my doctor. I got my audiologist on my side, so that's good.

but anyways, you guys were very helpful. Thanks :)

i have been wearing hearing aids in my right ear for three years now (actually all my life, I wore hearing aids in both ears, until I completely lost the hearing in my left ear). But since December they have been absolutely no help at all. Meaning I cant hear ANYTHING. So I don't wear them at all anymore. I miss hearing in that ear, as little as it was. It helped a lot with localization, etc. I'm willing to take my chances. But I can't quite seem to get my parents to see it the same way, they have this image in their head, that if we wait long enough I could have perfect hearing one day. But I know better. But we're going to talk to my doctor. I got my audiologist on my side, so that's good.

Good for you. You sound like someone who has thought this through and done the research. Maybe your parents need to hear from the doctor that a "perfect" solution is still a very long way off and that they need to accept the reality of your situation and needs for now.

Heck we could get run over by a bus tomorrow.

Oh that's awesome then Amy! You sound like the perfect canidate for bilaterals then.

Hi Amy

I have had my CI in my left year since Aug 24, 2001 (surgery on July 6, 2001).. and I finally had a time to do focus on myself since I focus on my middle child who was diagnosis with brain tumor (Medulloblastoma) and I was pregnant at the time too so, I figure I focus on them first. now my baby son is 4 years old and is in head start school, and I want to return work so I decide to go for bi laterial CI too... and I Just had my ci done on right ear Jan 4, 2008 and hook up on Feb 11, 2008 I Really do LOVE IT so much..
Im thankful that I made a right decision. It is a big change on me yes.. but I did it for MYSELF.. so If you really wants to go for it for your own reason then go for it.. It did helped me lots with both CI for many reason...

Wendy

Back