Bilateral Cochlear Implants in the news

set2

Reaction score
Some of you might be interested in this. I just saw this on the news and thought I would provide the web address to the video. I hope this addy works. It It is a shame they did not mention using a CI with HA because some people could probably benefit as much with a CI/HA combination.

The address is:

http://www.cbsnews.cections/i_video...tr=Health_3024171&channel=i_video&id=3024171n

There are people who use both but most people stop bothering with the HA over time. This is mainly because the enormous difference that a CI has over any HA. After a while, the CI assisted ear becomes the dominant ear and what one gets from the HA ceases to be as beneficial as it was in the beginning with the CI.

What sr171soars described above was my experience as well. I tried using a HA in my nonimplanted ear for 6 months and while it worked beautifully at first, my brain eventually could no longer make sense of the weak, distorted signal it heard through the HA. (I also lost more hearing in my nonimplanted ear.) However, this isn't the case for everyone. I know many CI users who benefit from using the CI/HA combination and love the binaural sound it provides.

Back