Best Western hotel refuses service dog.

And I wonder why there are exclusive lists online for dog friendly hotels?

I'm sure those lists exist for just about every reason other than deafness and the ADA law.....

Well, I believe that if you have a service dog, you have to carry the paperwork with you to prove that it's a service dog (if that's what you want to know). For example, you get a discount on public transportation if you show your ID card to prove that you are deaf.

WDYS, do you carry the paperwork with you for that purpose?

You do not have to show any paperwork and you can't be asked questions about 'what wrong with you' . I do not use public transportation a lot . You are given an ID card with your dog and you.

You do not have to show any paperwork and you can't be asked questions about 'what wrong with you' . I do not use public transportation a lot . You are given an ID card with your dog and you.
That's what I was talking about. An ID card (which is given after paperwork [application] is approved) helps a lot so in case someone stops you coming into a restaurant or anyplace with your service dog, show it to that person who will back off and let you in. I wonder if your dog has a tag on it as well, even though it's not required by ADA.

Service dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Service dogs may wear special vests or ID tags, but they are not a requirement of the ADA.

There is no standard paperwork for service dogs.

What kind of ID do you have that proves you are deaf? That is, who issues it? The transportation department?

I got an ID card and that and a hearing dog certification but I only carry my ID with me. I only had my ID if someone was not informed of the ADA Act and they are few people that know nothing about it. A lot of people never heard of a hearing dog , they only knew a guide dogs for the blind .

I got an ID card and that and a hearing dog certification but I only carry my ID with me. I only had my ID if someone was not informed of the ADA Act and they are few people that know nothing about it. A lot of people never heard of a hearing dog , they only knew a guide dogs for the blind .
Yes, the guide dogs for the blind have been around longer and have better marketing, I guess. Gradually, people are becoming more aware of other service dogs, especially since more wounded veterans are using them, which gets more press coverage.

I wonder if it would help to also carry business cards printed with the ADA rules on them to hand out to people who inquire about the dogs? :dunno:

Yes, the guide dogs for the blind have been around longer and have better marketing, I guess. Gradually, people are becoming more aware of other service dogs, especially since more wounded veterans are using them, which gets more press coverage.

I wonder if it would help to also carry business cards printed with the ADA rules on them to hand out to people who inquire about the dogs? :dunno:

If you go into any businesses that deal with the public they should had told all their employees if a person has a service dog they do not have show any papers . NEADS told me I did not I have to tell my condo I was getting Finlay, but that it would be a good idea to let my condo know so there would be no problems . I was at store with my daughter and we where in the dressing room with Finlay a saleslady came up to me and said the was a customer that was afraid of dogs and she wanted to use the dressing room so I would have take my dog out . I was like WTF! I told the saleswoman
'No, I do not have to move my dog , the woman has to move." There are so many rules they would not all fit on a business card. It's the businesses
responsibly to know the rules and have them posted for their employees to read .

Legally, I do not believe the business can ask you to provide documentation of your pet being a service animal, though they do have to be in proper harness ect ect. You DO have to be able to provide proper veterinary records for the animal, though. If you are taken to court and can not furnish proper documentation at the time for the animal being approved for a disability and an approved trained ADA dog, the fines and penalties are substantially high... not to mention fees by the business ect.

As far as being Deaf is concerned, in Florida ( not sure about all states ) it is marked on our drivers licenses... ( if you drive. ) :P As a restriction just as corrective lenses would be. :P

I have received a guide dog from an organization at Palmetto, not far from where Mew is in Tampa. They do issue unofficial ID cards with photo of user and dog upon graduation from the program. It did assist with identifying the dog as a service animal.

Legally, I do not believe the business can ask you to provide documentation of your pet being a service animal, though they do have to be in proper harness ect ect. You DO have to be able to provide proper veterinary records for the animal, though. If you are taken to court and can not furnish proper documentation at the time for the animal being approved for a disability and an approved trained ADA dog, the fines and penalties are substantially high... not to mention fees by the business ect.

As far as being Deaf is concerned, in Florida ( not sure about all states ) it is marked on our drivers licenses... ( if you drive. ) :P As a restriction just as corrective lenses would be. :P
I read that a business can legally ask two questions which are allowed by ADA. "Is this a service dog?" and "What type of service does it do?"

I wonder what happens if both or either one of the questions are not answered. Can the business kick them out since from what I read doesn't mention consequences?

For example, I answer yes to the first question but I didn't answer the second one because I have no idea which means that I lie to the first question.

Back