Best way to learn ASL? Hints, Ideas, Opinions?

By BS I think you mean "blind sign" like your girlfriend has her hand curved in front of her with palm facing down and you put your hand below her palm of her hand to "blind sign" to her. Am I correct?

I'm just trying to make more sense from your post about "BS."

Use your common sense.. you know BS=BULLSHIT

SxyPorkie

Just want to add ASL American Sign Language is a good site to learn ASL. He has visual vocabulary and he teaches lessons free. He is a professor and he's deaf and his wife is deaf. He wants everyone in the world to learn sign. Now if you want accreditation then he charges but to self study. It's free. Also there is a website that charges a subscription called Handspeak: American Sign Language Online Dictionary, Baby Sign Language, International Sign, more. And there is another one that teaches ASL1,2,3,4. Each is $50. I can't remember that one off the top of my head. But anyways life print teaches 1,2, and part of 3 and they are still developing for 3,4. But what about meeting a deaf student there or a hearing student maybe native asl signer befriend him and get into the culture that way? Or classes. Or there are expensive asl videotapes out that teach it. It cost like $300.00. You can google search. robbielyn

NFGTragedy, I was planning to make a new thread but this thread is similar as mine. Instead of making a new thread, I posted in here. I hope you don't mind.

Quite the captivating thread!

Well, I tried to ask a deaf student in my class in which and how to learn ASL. I even asked him to teach me and I'd pay him handsomely for it but I was rejected harshly. After a few attempts of interacting with him, I slowly started to understand that deaf man was not exactly a warm person to hearing people. He bestowed similar attitudes to other hearing people.

I'm not sure why he carried the attitude to us. I guess I have a lot to learn and I also thought something was wrong with me or my way of approach. I attempted to communicate with him with PnP, papers and pencil.

Which is the best method to learn ASL? ASL classes? ASL books? DVD/VHS? PC softwares?
It sounds to me like this particular individual is what I would consider an Audist. Audis'ts can be deaf or hearing.

Just want to add ASL American Sign Language is a good site to learn ASL. He has visual vocabulary and he teaches lessons free. He is a professor and he's deaf and his wife is deaf. He wants everyone in the world to learn sign. Now if you want accreditation then he charges but to self study. It's free. Also there is a website that charges a subscription called Handspeak: American Sign Language Online Dictionary, Baby Sign Language, International Sign, more. And there is another one that teaches ASL1,2,3,4. Each is $50. I can't remember that one off the top of my head. But anyways life print teaches 1,2, and part of 3 and they are still developing for 3,4. But what about meeting a deaf student there or a hearing student maybe native asl signer befriend him and get into the culture that way? Or classes. Or there are expensive asl videotapes out that teach it. It cost like $300.00. You can google search. robbielyn
Many thanks for the information and links!

It sounds to me like this particular individual is what I would consider an Audist. Audis'ts can be deaf or hearing.
The audism topic was fascinating. What's more surprising for me there is such thing as deaf against deaf. Well, I shouldn't be surprised about it given the fact that discrimination is a common problem among various races, ages and cultures.

The audism topic was fascinating. What's more surprising for me there is such thing as deaf against deaf. Well, I shouldn't be surprised about it given the fact that discrimination is a common problem among various races, ages and cultures.
As I understand it, the deaf community doesn't really use that word per it's definition. Mainly it's used (as I understand it) to label hearing people that have prejudice, and discriminate against deafies. I have witnissed some hard core deafies that are against other deafies that choose oral methods or choose to get a CI or if they choose to assimilate themselves with the hearing community or even if they are not "deaf enough". It's what I would call a deaf audist but I don't think the deafies use that term. I too found it a facinating subject.

rockdrummer, last night I used the google search to delve into the 'audism' subject and there were a few inconsistent definitions of what it means and what it stands for. Noticeably, none of the dictionaries including Oxford English published the definition of 'audism'. Intriguingly, there is a definition in ubran dictionary.

the descrimination of the hard-of-hearing.

Instead of color descrimination prevalent in schools, audism has become an increasing problem.

Whether the definition is interpretively correct or not, I'm not sure what's a "descrimination" but I'd deduct it was just a typo.

NFGTragedy, I'm sorry for going off topic.

I am hearing but dating a deaf girl, i can for the most part understand most everything my girlfriend says but she doesnt speak often. ASL is our main line of communication. My main learning source is signing with my girlfriend, maybe you could ask her to get involved in teaching you and tell her that youre interested in communicating with her.

I know that a big milestone with my girlfriend and I was when we stopped bringing pen and paper, cell phones or any other communication devices with us when we went out.

I totally know what you mean by wanting to just 'shoot the shit, bullshit' with her. I was worried my self thinking at first I would have to hold back what I wanted to say or we wouldnt be able to really just chill and talk about random things with each other but I couldnt be more wrong.

My biggest help was ASL flashcards, but everyone learns differently, some people are visual learners, some are auditory, some are hands on, find what works for you. I love flash cards and just from being around my girlfriend I learn new sign ever day.

But now I am to the point where I would list ASL as my primary means of communication, i use VP now, it seems like all of my friends are deaf now, im always in the presence of my girlfriend so its rare that I find my self even speaking anymore i just sign. I even accidently find my self signing to my hearing friends and family.

I have a question:

I sign "you understand me" with raised eyebrows as asking a question.

Someone else suggests "Can you understand me"

Is this necessary? The results are the same right?

I know in class with some of my Deaf students when I ask them if they understand I just nod my head while signing UNDERSTAND repeatedly as I pass my hand from lef to right and back.

I have a question:

I sign "you understand me" with raised eyebrows as asking a question.

Someone else suggests "Can you understand me"

Is this necessary? The results are the same right?

I know in class with some of my Deaf students when I ask them if they understand I just nod my head while signing UNDERSTAND repeatedly as I pass my hand from lef to right and back.
As you you know, with ASL grammar and inflection are shown in facial expressions like tilt slightly forward and raised eyebrows and hold last sign for asking yes or no questions so "can" not necessary. Raised eyebrows is the equivalent of the inflection found in speech to show you are asking a question and not a statement. Nodding your head isn't necessary to ask a question. Just look at your audience lean slightlyforward raise you eyebrows hold sign for understand. Look at each student. They will shake their head yes if they do.

Ok

As you you know, with ASL grammar and inflection are shown in facial expressions like tilt slightly forward and raised eyebrows and hold last sign for asking yes or no questions so "can" not necessary. Raised eyebrows is the equivalent of the inflection found in speech to show you are asking a question and not a statement. Nodding your head isn't necessary to ask a question. Just look at your audience lean slightlyforward raise you eyebrows hold sign for understand. Look at each student. They will shake their head yes if they do.

That's what I would normally sign.

I know these things, for example if I were to ask someone if they drove here I would have signed "you drive here" with the raised eyebrows (inflections)

If I wanted to know if someone could drive I would just sign "you drive" with inflections. In english this would be "can you drive" or "do you drive"

I'll have many more questions as time goes on. Thanks

My personal opinion..

Examine how you learn things, like if you can pick things up from reading a book or watching what's going on around you. Some people do well with books whereas others are more into looking around.
My boyfriend is learning sign language and he's a very visual learner.. so I buy him cds and dvds that can help him learn the signs, Hey.. I'm a horrible teacher.

I also make him use these signs with me so he can understand how deaf people in general use sign language.. I'm sad to say most of my sign language is English, Not ASL. So he's learning to sign that way as well.

My personal opinion..

Examine how you learn things, like if you can pick things up from reading a book or watching what's going on around you. Some people do well with books whereas others are more into looking around.
My boyfriend is learning sign language and he's a very visual learner.. so I buy him cds and dvds that can help him learn the signs, Hey.. I'm a horrible teacher.

I also make him use these signs with me so he can understand how deaf people in general use sign language.. I'm sad to say most of my sign language is English, Not ASL. So he's learning to sign that way as well.
One can learn signed english from a book but not ASL. That must be learned by interactive with the deaf or from dvd's. ASL involves more than learning vocabulary, it's a three dimensional language.

Robbieyn..(sorry if i spelled that wrong)

I know that. the problem with learning asl is that I don't use it much. I'm more into English or PSL.. So he is learning the way I sign, not the true ASL. Remember I grew up learning english.. so my sign language is more English than ASL. even around deaf friends i use more english and I talk while signing.. I guess so hearing people can understand me more. It's just the way I learned.

If i could sign more ASL, i would.. and I have tried but old habits are hard to break.

Robbieyn..(sorry if i spelled that wrong)

I know that. the problem with learning asl is that I don't use it much. I'm more into English or PSL.. So he is learning the way I sign, not the true ASL. Remember I grew up learning english.. so my sign language is more English than ASL. even around deaf friends i use more english and I talk while signing.. I guess so hearing people can understand me more. It's just the way I learned.

If i could sign more ASL, i would.. and I have tried but old habits are hard to break.

Sorry if I offended you. I am looking at my response to your last comment, and today can't figure out why I said that to you. I guess I know some people that use the term ASL to incorporate all signing. And I guess that is a pet peeve of mine. It's great that you are teaching him sign language and I wish you the best with that. Robbielyn

you didn't offend me.. It's a pet peeve of mine as well. I have seen some hearing people ask me if ASL, SEE, and PSL are all the same language.. I can't count the number of times I've had to explain the differences in all 3 languages.. it drives ME nuts!

One can learn signed english from a book but not ASL. That must be learned by interactive with the deaf or from dvd's. ASL involves more than learning vocabulary, it's a three dimensional language.

I'm of the opinion that a book can give you basics, history and a certain level of understanding - but to actually communicate effectively - this (IMHO) requires that you interact with others in that language.

you didn't offend me.. It's a pet peeve of mine as well. I have seen some hearing people ask me if ASL, SEE, and PSL are all the same language.. I can't count the number of times I've had to explain the differences in all 3 languages.. it drives ME nuts!

bare with them. Understanding language isn't for everyone.
People see things and ask questions. With the internet, these questions can be easily answered.

When I first started learning ASL, I first did some homework. I read the history, grammar and other things. I then was led to SEE and PSE etc.

I'm bilingual, and working on being trilingual. The third being ASL.
In a couple of years I'll become a teacher, teach math and hopfully be able to pass the level 1 interpreters exam for my state.
No easy task, but I understand language so I have an advantage.

Well, it's like a foreigner walking up to a hearing American and begging them to teach English. It's just weird.

Ha ha! I know how you feel.

I even remember aguring with one linguist who simply could not understand that ASL and BSL is *NOT* the same. ARRGH! some linguist. :P

Back