Best way to develop oral skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish you the best of luck! :cool2: but can you share with us what research you have read?

I read the Ausplan book by Adeline McClatchie and Cochlear Implant for Kids by Warren Estabrooks. I also shared a link to a paper by the Ausplan folks above.

No. Although I don't know of any state school for the deaf that uses the oral method, it's quite possible some do.
There are some state schools for the Deaf that have an oral program. Off the top of my head I know that Beverly School for the Deaf has an oral preschool, and so does Horace Mann (the city school for the Deaf) in Boston.
Daredevil I do agree with you. 10 minutes a day isn't enough. However, speech therapy sessions tend to be a little bit longer then that. When they are taught at schools for the Deaf, they tend to be "class style"

There are some state schools for the Deaf that have an oral program. Off the top of my head I know that Beverly School for the Deaf has an oral preschool, and so does Horace Mann (the city school for the Deaf) in Boston.
Daredevil I do agree with you. 10 minutes a day isn't enough. However, speech therapy sessions tend to be a little bit longer then that. When they are taught at schools for the Deaf, they tend to be "class style"

Thanks. Figured someone would tell me if there were any oral state schools.

I posted a link. I said that they use the terms A, B, and C level users.

Post # please?

By the way, in the 4 years I've had my first CI, I've never heard the terms
A, B or C level user. Usually CI recipients are defined as being excellent or poor implant users.

Note my edited post: By the way, in the 4 years I've had my first CI, I've never heard the terms A, B or C level user. Usually CI recipients are defined as being excellent or poor implant users.

faire_jour,

According to the link you just posted, they refer to children as A, B and C candidates. That's different from being an A, B or C user.

faire_jour,

According to the link you just posted, they refer to children as A, B and C candidates That's different from being an A, B or C user.

Keep reading. Later they talk about expected outcomes for each category. Some of them shift groups.

Keep reading. Later they talk about expected outcomes for each category. Some of them shift groups.

I read the entire link, but can't find any reference to A, B or C users.

Please show me where it refers to users as opposed to candidates.

I read the entire link, but can't find any reference to A, B or C users.

Please show me where it refers to users as opposed to candidates.

It talks about how children they originally classified as "B Candidates" performed as "A's" and they shifted categories.

I posted that link to show the sort of "different categories of benfit" that they use.

I do not mean to say that there are checks, and if you reach this point then you are classified as a "A user" but that there are different levels of benefit and if you are able to only hear enviromental sounds at 3 years post, you won't be able to get to "hearing on a cellphone level". A CI user can continue to improve, but the vast majority of the benefit will be in the first 3 years.

Does that make sense?

It talks about how children they originally classified as "B Candidates" performed as "A's" and they shifted categories.

I posted that link to show the sort of "different categories of benfit" that they use.

I do not mean to say that there are checks, and if you reach this point then you are classified as a "A user" but that there are different levels of benefit and if you are able to only hear enviromental sounds at 3 years post, you won't be able to get to "hearing on a cellphone level". A CI user can continue to improve, but the vast majority of the benefit will be in the first 3 years.

Does that make sense?

I understand the content of the article. What I don't understand is why you refer to the children mentioned within it as A, B and C users when the article clearly defines them as A, B and C candidates -- even if C candidates eventually become A candidates. A candidate is a candidate -- not a user.
Hence, my confusion.

You are not getting it, school districts post the percentage of their students receiving regents diplomas as that is an indication of how well the students perform. The different diplomas are to recognize that while a student did not perform up to the criteria needed on the various regents examinations, the student did pass the required course work as set forth by the individual high school.

The point made by both myself and Double Trouble is that the Deaf school in our area is academically inferior to our local public schools. We each have experience and knowledge of the school and in DT's personal experience from family members. You do not know the school, our children or the schools we are comparing the Deaf school to, yet you persist in arguing this issue.

But then, what else would you do if not argue every point?

Exactly. They exclude those that receive a certificate of completion. That is the whole point. It skews the results. As does leaving out students with accommodations that are exempted from proficiency testing. And national standards are set on grade level testing. We all know the misperceptions of what grade level testing shows by those who are not familiar with either the statisics nor the assessment, much less the terminology.

Still don't have those statistics to support your claim, huh?

I think the majority wants class lessons to be 100% accessiable be it be in mainstream or deaf school. A lot of the time mainstream won't meet deaf kid's communication need or other needs so they end up getting sent to a school for the deaf. I doubt all the deaf schools will close for good.

That is it in a nutshell. People have been saying the deaf schools will close down for years and years. Hasn't happened yet, and it isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back