Best way to communicate with an Iphone?

JillyBean.MI

Reaction score
Im getting Iphone soon. Do people still use TTY? Ive been hearing about VP a lot and that I have. My place no longers has landline service. My Iphone will be coming from Verizon as always had service with them.

A question about TTY, how does that work with Iphone an communicating. Do I neec to buy extra accessories with it?

My hearing gone down so frustrating speaking on phone now.

If you can download Z5 mobile from App on your iphone. Once you are all setup you can use your voice to talk while watching interpreter signs. No extra equipment needed. Respond to this thread if you have more questions.

Sent from DeafCar iPhone

If you can download Z5 mobile from App on your iphone. Once you are all setup you can use your voice to talk while watching interpreter signs. No extra equipment needed. Respond to this thread if you have more questions.

Sent from DeafCar iPhone

How is that different fron Ntouch? That is on my Ipad.

Z5 is similar to nTouch. They're both VRS mobile apps. You should be able to download and use nTouch on the iPhone too even if you already have it on the iPad.

I think there are cords to connect the cell phone to a TTY but it's been so many years since I last LOOKED at either one of my TTYs (normal size and compact).

Hmm I didn't even know there WAS a TTY mode...!
What Is TTY Mode on Cell Phones? | Tech Channel - RadioShack

more info
TTY Compatibility with Digital Cell Phones | Ultratec
Compact/C - Portable TTY | Ultratec
Your Guide to Buying a TTY Compatible Cell Phone | eBay

Huh... wonder if my compact tty is compatible (probably not- I've had it since at least 1995 that I can remember)

Z5 is similar to nTouch. They're both VRS mobile apps. You should be able to download and use nTouch on the iPhone too even if you already have it on the iPad.

I think there are cords to connect the cell phone to a TTY but it's been so many years since I last LOOKED at either one of my TTYs (normal size and compact).

more info

Huh... wonder if my compact tty is compatible (probably not- I've had it since at least 1995 that I can remember)

So, do I give my VP# to anyone that may need to contact me, not my cell#?

Srry with all the questions, I dont keep up-to-date with technologhy very well

more info

You need to check the exact model. I recently picked up a used one to leave in the car in case of trouble in an area that has basic cell service but not fast enough etc. for the CapTel app that I have. In checking things out found that the earliest ones are not compatible with today's digital cell phones. Then there were some made that, although not originally compatible with digital cell phones, they can be modified to work. Then the latest ones are compatible right out of the box. But . . . all of them need an adapter for the cord that goes to the phone because the ones that come with it end in a 2.5mm connector and today's phones use 3.5mm. I am not sure anymore of the dates that the changes were made.

So, do I give my VP# to anyone that may need to contact me, not my cell#?

Yes you would give them the VP#

From Sorenson's site-

Which number should I give out to receive videophone/SVRS calls using ntouch Mobile for iOS?

Your unique 10-digit local number assigned by Sorenson for your ntouch account for Mobile and Tablet is used for videophone services.

The rest of the FAQ-
Sorenson ntouch

Best way to communicate with an Iphone?Im getting Iphone soon. Do people still use TTY? Ive been hearing about VP a lot and that I have. My place no longers has landline service. My Iphone will be coming from Verizon as always had service with them.

A question about TTY, how does that work with Iphone an communicating. Do I neec to buy extra accessories with it?

My hearing gone down so frustrating speaking on phone now.

In binary...

If you're wanting to type (like with a TTY) you could download the IP-Relay app for your iPhone. I have it on mine. It's by Purple. You would not need to use your TTY then, just your iPhone keyboard.

Back