Best Portable TTY?

I have Ultratech Compact C.. It's brand new and never used. Intrested, pm me.

Catty

So far the best...

off025.jpg

:lol:

LOL I loved that machine. The loud click clacks it makes it's what shines.

My my, how times has changed in 20 years.

Yiz

LOL I loved that machine. The loud click clacks it makes it's what shines.

My my, how times has changed in 20 years.

Yiz
:lol: of course and nowadays it belongs to the grave...or non-existent

New to needing TTY device

I am new to this site and needing a TTY device; however here goes...

I had surgery to repair spine issue and surgeon paralyzed my vocal cord; so I can hear however I can no longer speak loud or clear enough for anyone to understand me over the telephone; either at home, work, or my cell. So I am looking for a portable tty device that I can use on my cell, home and work. Something that I can type my reply and they will hear a voice on the other end. I can hear them; I just can't reply clear or loud enough.

Anyone know of anything that can help me. I am also searching for a book, video; something that will help me learn sign language so my family and I can learn together so we can talk to each other. This paralysis appears to be a permanent thing.

Thanks for any help. Ann Marie

Ann,
I did a little googling around, and I ran across two types of relay services that might fit what you're looking for. (Found this information at Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) | FCC.gov )
"Hearing Carry Over - Hearing Carry Over (HCO) is a type of TRS that allows a person with a speech disability, but who wants to use his/her own hearing, to listen to the called party and type his/her part of the conversation on a TTY. The CA reads these words to the called party, and the caller hears responses directly from the called party."

"Speech-to-Speech (STS) Relay Service - This form of TRS is used by a person with a speech disability. A CA (who is specially trained in understanding a variety of speech disorders) repeats what the caller says in a manner that makes the caller's words clear and understandable to the called party. No special telephone is needed. For more information regarding STS visit www.fcc.gov/guides/speech-speech-relay-service ."

As far as service providers, google turned up a lot of state-specific options for each. Not sure where you're located, so I'm only including the ones that seem to be national in the U.S. :)
AT&T Relay Services | Hearing Carry Over
AT&T Relay Services | Speech to Speech
Sprint Relay

As far as learning ASL goes, I can't help much since I'm just a student myself. I take classes at the local community college, which I would definitely recommend if that's offered near you. Our state school for the deaf also offers ASL classes, so that might be something to check into as well. I would also recommend getting involved with the Deaf community in your area if you can at all - it's really the best way to get practice and improve by leaps and bounds, everyone says (and I think, too).

Hope that helps. :)

Summer

Thanks Summer

Summer,

Thank you for all the thought and research you put into this for me. My husband said that both of them sound like good ideas. We are going to look into both of them. I think I like the first one best, however we will check them both out and weigh our options. I am located in Leesburg, Virginia and we just got an ASL book so we can learn together. It is becoming very quiet around our house in the evenings except for the television. I am trying to embrace this new life but I miss talking to my dad and brother everyday like I used to. Again, thank you so much. Ann Marie :ty:

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

authentic said:

That symbol doesn't mean that the iphone becomes a portable TTY ... It means that if you HAVE a portable tty you can use a special cable to connect it digitally to the iphone (like direct connect on a landline).

Like all cell phones - the TTY symbol only means the phone can work with a TTY, not that it "becomes" a TTY itself.

I used one by Krown called the PocketComm that is no longer manufactured. They do still have desktop size (about the size of the larger laptops) that can be ordered with a connection for a cell phone as an extra cost option. If buying both sizes at your own expense this might be worth it to be able to use with you cell phone at times.

They evidently had too many problems with durability with the PocketComm and I think part of it may well have been a matter of was it designed by a man who would wear it clipped to his belt and he forgot how many more bumps etc. one in a women's purse is subject to?

When in good shape, it worked very well with the state relay service that you access by dialing 711. There is a very small cord that connects between the TTY and the cell phone earphone port. I would use it with a dumbphone and request VCO. The PocketComm had a mic included in it and you spoke into that rather than the one on the phone.

I have since found Wireless CapTel by Sprint and use it with a smartphone with the Android OS of 2.2 or higher. What use I have made of this has turned out well. But . . . it is a matter of you speaking for your end of the conversation.

Back