best hd tv

i still wish i could get the 3D added to the tv. but i don't want to be a beta user !

3D closed caption? Some 3D blu-ray players don't support subtitle??

3D closed caption? Some 3D blu-ray players don't support subtitle??

That's a good question, I think subtitles would be available on it, but I can check for myself at a local store.

That's a good question, I think subtitles would be available on it, but I can check for myself at a local store.

Best Buy store salesmen were idiot that can't find subtitle setting on 3D blu-ray player for 3D Avatar movie. I believe that some 3D movies don't support subtitle.

Best Buy store salesmen were idiot that can't find subtitle setting on 3D blu-ray player for 3D Avatar movie. I believe that some 3D movies don't support subtitle.

Avatar in 3D isn't out yet and it'll be bundled with Panasonic 3DTVs starting in December.

I checked, there are subtitles on the Blu-ray 3D discs.

3D is still too new for me to gamble with it. is running xbox games and that Wii bad for a HD ? a Hd TV is supposed to have a 60,000 hour life span
lots of variables on what a tv will look like. i wonder if the stores fail to calibrate a certain brand or model when it goes out of stock? push you to a more expensive model?

3D is still too new for me to gamble with it. is running xbox games and that Wii bad for a HD ? a Hd TV is supposed to have a 60,000 hour life span
lots of variables on what a tv will look like. i wonder if the stores fail to calibrate a certain brand or model when it goes out of stock? push you to a more expensive model?

Games? Well, it depends. Back then, it was much more susceptible to burn-in damages. The technology is advancing all of the times, so the chances of that happening is much lesser than it used to be.

Plasma was the worst when it came to burn-in images. Hours and hours of watching TV shows on the same channel, the TV station logo would be left on your screen for good. Today, it's unlikely that you would have that problem. In fact, there is a way of reducing that by breaking your TV in within the first day of using it.

They have instructions for it on the internet, I believe.

Well, not exactly. It kind of varies from model to model. You see, the CC itself works fine. However, it is not always available in some particular video inputs.

Sounds stupid, but it's true. I have seen this in a number of models.

Well, not exactly. It kind of varies from model to model. You see, the CC itself works fine. However, it is not always available in some particular video inputs.

Sounds stupid, but it's true. I have seen this in a number of models.

Darn, and thanks Banjo....we are in the market for a 32-42 inch lcd, led, plasma (doesn't matter to us which type) HDTV. What do I need to do to make sure this TV will do the CC thing without any hassles? Thanks in advance....

Darn, and thanks Banjo....we are in the market for a 32-42 inch lcd, led, plasma (doesn't matter to us which type) HDTV. What do I need to do to make sure this TV will do the CC thing without any hassles? Thanks in advance....

For antenna, it shouldn't be a problem. For cable/satellite, you just have to make sure the TV receiver is equipped with a CC decoder built in it.

Now, for HDMI-equipped hardware such as Blu-ray/DVD players, etc, it's difficult to find one with CC built in. I know Panasonic did sell some DVD players with CC built in, but I'm not sure if they still have some out there.

For antenna, it shouldn't be a problem. For cable/satellite, you just have to make sure the TV receiver is equipped with a CC decoder built in it.

Now, for HDMI-equipped hardware such as Blu-ray/DVD players, etc, it's difficult to find one with CC built in. I know Panasonic did sell some DVD players with CC built in, but I'm not sure if they still have some out there.

Thanks....so are you saying if we get one of those HDTV's (with the CC decoder, of course) mentioned above that maybe our current(several years old)DVD player will cease(maybe) to show the CC's?

Thanks....so are you saying if we get one of those HDTV's (with the CC decoder, of course) mentioned above that maybe our current(several years old)DVD player will cease(maybe) to show the CC's?

DVD players are cheap today. Better yet, buy PS3 and then you can play games and watch DVD blu ray/ That's what I do. Fun.

All HDTVs are equipped with CC decoders, it's just that some models won't enable them for every video input. They are usually captioned for the component/s-video/composite/antenna/cable inputs. Sometimes the component video input isn't, same with the HDMI video input.

However, if you use a TV receiver for cable or satellite provider for the HDTV, you will need one with CC decoder built in. If you enable the progressive mode on a DVD player via component, it's likely the CC will be not displayed.

Therefore, the need for a DVD player with CC built in is needed. I'm not sure, but I think Philips also has a DVD player with CC built in.

Blu-ray in general use SDH (subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing) instead of the ol' CC.

Thanks, Banjo; I really appreciate this! Since I won't be sure re: some models of TV's, I'll just make sure the new DVD player is set up for CC either way, just in case.....

Thanks, Banjo; I really appreciate this! Since I won't be sure re: some models of TV's, I'll just make sure the new DVD player is set up for CC either way, just in case.....

I like SDH subtitle for all Blu-ray movies. More sharpen than DVD subtitle. I don't like CC black box.

Myself, I prefer Panasonic over Sony these days. Vizio seems pretty damn good for the price they are being sold at. They are pretty popular at Costco in Canada.

You have to be careful when comparing TV displays in stores because a lot of times, they aren't properly calibrated. I have seen many, many top-of-the-line TV displays looking awful because they weren't hooked up right or calibrated very badly. Once I put any TV displays into my living room, they end up looking great because of how I calibrate them.

I never put any faith in comparing model to model right in the store especially when you consider the factors such as calibration, lighting in the room, your surroundings, etc. They are very different from a living room or bedroom.

Exactly. I used to be a home theater nut (I even have an SVS subwoofer - I can't wait until I have my own place again so I can use it again), so I'm well aware of the differences between the torch mode that many sets are exhibited on while on store display and then the calibrated sets at home. The differences can be night and day.

I usually never put much faith in comparing model to model in the stores either, but you have to admit that not that much calibration is necessary to get the picture looking amazingly accurate on LCD TVs nowadays - at least that wasn't the case with my Vizio.

I also relied on independent customer reviews to make my decision, since I don't always trust model to model comparisons either.

Chevy, I don't think I want to bother with BluRay.....

Back