Best fictitious sign (from a hearing person)

ohmylight

Reaction score
So I'm relaxing with my iPad on AD on the couch and my mom walked up (she's visiting) and she signed that " I have _____"... And I have no idea what she claims I have (although it looks like I have "disco Aquarius" lol) because it's a made up sign and she won't repeat it or clarify... (I'm not losing sleep lol)

Anyway I'm wondering what the best funny "signs" are which you've seen people wrongfully say.

My mother also loves talking about her "vagina baskets" (it's a Longaberger basket she sells, a whole line of oval shaped baskets, and although I correct her she won't change)...

I saw one person trying to sign "Why?" except they used two hands. One hand was on their temple palm faced inward, the other hand at waist level palm up in "Y".

Apparently, they saw it in a book, but ignored the little arrow showing only one hand was to be used.

Haha my best friend signed "wrong" wrong for the first year she was learning... I almost couldn't fix it because the irony was perfect... Lol

I have seen "period" as in a woman's monthly visitor signed as "prostitute" more times than I can count..... :doh:

Haha my best friend signed "wrong" wrong for the first year she was learning... I almost couldn't fix it because the irony was perfect... Lol

My mother tried to sign I love you using the universal one-handed :ily: but signed :rockon: instead :giggle: It was even funnier that she used both hands. My 24 year old son though it was classic! :lol:

Someone got too enthusiastic while signing "purple." They hit themselves in the face... Left a bruise there for a week :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Someone got too enthusiastic while signing "purple." They hit themselves in the face... Left a bruise there for a week :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

:lol: Well, maybe they got to use that sign a lot more after explaining why that had that bruise.

In the face?? You sure that sign was purple?...

When I was in collage my collage guidance counselor who was HOH was telling about a time she and girl friend where signing with two men and my counselor's friend was getting hungry and she thought she was signing "I am hungry" but the woman kept saying ' she was horny' ! OPPS ! I bet she was embarrassed when she found was she was saying.

I could see "penis" being signed enthusiastically and leaving a bruise on their face for a week.... :laugh2: Purple is like..... nowhere near the face! They must have really loved purple...... :shock:

:laugh2: That's funny. This makes me want to go learn signs just for the fact of the matter I could laugh at myself for messing them up. :giggle: Hmm...*goes finds ASL threads*

I see the same stuff happen when people ask me for help on Japanese. English is not my first language but people always try to talk to me in Japanese when learning it (they're like the ASL students wanting a practice partner).

I'll never get over when someone asked called me "bastard" thinking they were talking about lunch boxes. Not even remotely related in the language but I was shocked.

It took me a lot to get past the shock to try and correct them properly.

I guess with ASL being a visual language it amuses me more because any wrong movement and you could possibly have made a totally different sign that what you were intendingn to.

When I was in collage my collage guidance counselor who was HOH was telling about a time she and girl friend where signing with two men and my counselor's friend was getting hungry and she thought she was signing "I am hungry" but the woman kept saying ' she was horny' ! OPPS ! I bet she was embarrassed when she found was she was saying.

My former audiologist, when she was still fairly new to signing, had a 13 year old boy in the office and it had been a long day and the boy was tired and frustrated. She thought she signed to him, "I bet you're hungry by now, we'll be done here soon" and she signed "I bet you're horny now, you'll finish soon.' The kid was so embarrassed, just because he was a naturally horny 13 year old boy.

Oh, and my husband was signing half of the sign for smart, but people thought he was signing stroke. He doesn't do that anymore because we laughed at him. Nicely, because it was funny, but he definitely remembers the right way to do that now.

Back